For those who have done St. P on your own. . .

justfoxie

. . .how did you get from the ship in the Cargo Port to the city after working hours? I'm a little concerned about walking through this part of the city in the evening hours, but most especially through the dock itself. However, I'm finding it difficult to arrange reasonably priced transport since access to this area of the city is restricted. Any ideas?

So far all the quotes I've been receiving for just pick up and drop off services have bee in excess of US$100. :eek: When I lived there, I think the most I *ever* paid for a taxi in St. P was the equivilent of US$25 and that was from my flat on Vasilistrovskaya to Pulkova airport. I can only assume the additional is for English speaking drivers and whatever the cost of getting a port permit is. Still, I can't imagine that it comes out to that much.

I've heard during working hours there is a bus for dock workers that tourists are also allowed to use. I would be really curious about hearing of experiences with this.

(Note: Yes I know there are guided tour companies out there and am considering those options separately, but my #1 preference is to do this city our own. I know this means getting a visa. Am really looking for the experiences of other DIYers at this stage.)

. . .how did you get from the ship in the Cargo Port to the city after working hours? I'm a little concerned about walking through this part of the city in the evening hours, but most especially through the dock itself. However, I'm finding it difficult to arrange reasonably priced transport since access to this area of the city is restricted. Any ideas?

So far all the quotes I've been receiving for just pick up and drop off services have bee in excess of US$100. :eek: When I lived there, I think the most I *ever* paid for a taxi in St. P was the equivilent of US$25 and that was from my flat on Vasilistrovskaya to Pulkova airport. I can only assume the additional is for English speaking drivers and whatever the cost of getting a port permit is. Still, I can't imagine that it comes out to that much.

I've heard during working hours there is a bus for dock workers that tourists are also allowed to use. I would be really curious about hearing of experiences with this.

(Note: Yes I know there are guided tour companies out there and am considering those options separately, but my #1 preference is to do this city our own. I know this means getting a visa. Am really looking for the experiences of other DIYers at this stage.)

Thanks for your information...

but did you bear in mind that last year the new cruise terminal opened???

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/blogs/cruise-lines/2008/09/new-port-for-st-petersburg.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

but did you bear in mind that last year the new cruise terminal opened???

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/blogs/cruise-lines/2008/09/new-port-for-st-petersburg.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

I saw that, but no news on who is docking there. Other sources state that the new terminal won't be completely open this year, but rather in 2010. I've emailed my TA to see if he knows anything, but nothing back yet. . .

Anyone else have confirmation on where Princess is docking in St. P?

*fingers crossed that we don't actually have to worry with the cargo port*

How can we find out if our ships dock at the new terminal.

Hope that you was in your former life 007 and knows perfect Russian:

http://www.pasp.ru/rus/operinfo/rasp/

It's currently the 2008 list... but I think 2009 details will be published soon:

It's 30 years ago that I tried to learn and I remember only after 1 lesson that this was too complicated for me...

Название судна = Ship's name

МСК Опера = MSC OPERA

МСК Лирика = MSC LIRICA

МСК Армония = MSC ARMONIA

Констелейшен = CONSTELLATION

Сенчури = CENTURY

Норведжиан Джевел = NORWEGIAN JEWEL

Джевел оф Сиз = JEWEL OF THE SEAS

Ройал Принцесс = ROYAL PRINCESS

Краун Принцесс = CROWN PRINCESS

Коста Медитарениа = COSTA MEDITERRANEA

Коста Виктория = COSTA VICTORIA

Коста Марина = COSTA MARINA

Коста Атлантика = COSTA ATLANTICA

Регатта = REGATTA

Квин Виктория = QUEEN VICTORIA

Азамара Джорни = AZAMARA JOURNEY

Принсендам = PRINSENDAM

Роттердам = ROTTERDAM

Евродам = EURODAM

Карнивал Сплендор = CARNIVAL SPLENDOR

Кристал Симфони = CRYSTAL SYMPHONY

Right to the top:

Май = May

Июнь = June

Июль = July

Август = August

Сентябрь = September

Причал = Berth

29, 30, 32, 33 seems to be the cargo terminal as all large ships are there

МВ-АБ and МВ-БВ are all smaller ships

МВ-Г is only for a Russian ship

НЛШ-ПН are all smaller ships

АН-вх are all smaller ships

On September 10, 2008 was the inauguration of the new terminal with COSTA MEDITERRANEA but she was still marked 32/30 - so that I think that she was only taken for the ceremonies but not in full operation in 2008 as the season terminated three weeks later.

So when the new call list is published it must be something new in the list.

Let's see what happened in the next weeks.

Regards,

HeinBloed

МВ-АБ and МВ-БВ are all smaller ships

МВ-Г is only for a Russian ship

НЛШ-ПН are all smaller ships

АН-вх are all smaller ships

MB is the abbreviation for Morskiy Voksal, the old Sea Passenger Terminal just south of the New Port.

НЛШ means the Lieutenant Schmidt Embankment on the north bank of the River Neva.

АН means the English Embankment on the opposite bank.

There's a map of them in Discover the Baltic.

-Lucy

At the Cargo Dock there is a dock bus for workers that passengers can use if the bus driver permits, sometimes he just refuses to let passengers on board. It runs until dusk or around 11.45pm during June and July whichever is sooner and goes either every 15 or 30 minutes depending on the time of day, day of the week etc. Occasionally there are cars/taxis on the dockside and they will take you to the dock gate for around $10 per car. Once at the gate, having passed through another immigration check there are usually more cars/taxis waiting, they will take you into town or wherever you want to go. Alternatively there is a local bus No. 22 about 3 blocks away which goes to Nevsky, you must pay in roubles (16 roubles last year).

It is not a good idea to walk to the dock gate as it is a heavy industrial area.

Coming back to the dock in the evening can be a problem if the bus has stopped as there are not usually any cars/taxis inside the dock gate to take you to the ship and if there are they can charge you what they like as you have no alternative. A solution to this is to stay at a hotel in the city overnight!

Having said all that, once in the city the most interesting historic sights can be visited on foot.

How can we find out if our ships dock at the new terminal.

My friends in St Petersburg advise me that at the moment Costa ships are the only ones scheduled to dock at the new terminal on Vasilievski Island. All other ships are scheduled to dock at the Cargo port as in the past.

But of course in Russia things can change in the blinking of an eye!

Thanks all for the additional information!

HeinBloed, my Russian isn't perfect, but pretty good, if a bit rusty. Fortunately most of the names of the ships seem to be transliterations, which is useful to know - great links too!

Lucy, so if I understand you, there are indeed some taxis within the port itself? The number 22 bus I would assume leaves from outside the front gate of the port.

Another useful tip for anyone else reading - I've discovered from a colleague that the restrictions on the Ruble have been lifted fairly recently and that it is now possible to get Rubles outside of Russia. This was not the case when I was there several years ago and will make things significantly easier, since it means we can have Rubles getting off the ship (will order them before leaving home) and so can do things like take local buses/taxis/marshrutki more easily.

• 1 month later...

Here is a taxi websit in english:

http://www.taxi068.spb.ru/order.html

I guess you can ask someone to call if they don't have a engish-speaking dispatcher.

(I can't seem to get this to post under the right thread and my apologies if it is showing up in the wrong place redundantly,...)

Gail in NC

If I use my ship as my hotel for the three days in St. Petersburg, do I have to get 3 visas? One for each day?

Gail in NC

Thanks Kingsbridge. One other question - is a multi-entry visa needed or can you get by with a single entry one? My guess is that we need the multi-entry since the ship is likely considered "non-Russian" territory.

Gail, have you used that company before? I'm not horribly concerned about working with English speakers only.

Hi Justfoxie. I do not know the answer to your question because I wasn't on a cruise ship when I got my two previous visas. However, I don't think that you should take the advice of any private individual. If you google Russian Visa requirements, you'll see the official website of the Russian Embassy in the US (Consular Division). By clicking through, you'll discover that the Russian Embassy no longer accepts mailed applications from individuals. Unless you live in or can easily travel to a US city with a consulate, you'll have to apply by mail through an agency. They list 3 preferred or authorized agencies on their website. I clicked on the one on the right Travisa Visa services and saw that they had (a) a way that you could get the invitation letter through them; and (b) an 800 number. Why don't you call them up...or call any of the other visa service agencies...and get the correct answers from an expert.

Kingsbridge ttp://www.ruscon.org/visa_dep_ENG.html

So this webpage is wrong? (Look under Postal Registration near the bottom) Plus I understand that the San Fransisco office is more pleasant to work with than the NY or Washington offices.

Justfoxie No; I've never been to Russia and thought that because the taxi web site was in English, there might be a better chance to get an english-speaking dispatcher to make things easier if you (or I) have to be pick up at a dock.

Here's a site for an invitation http://www.russia-visa.com/support/ (remember I can't personally recomend any site since I'm only doing the research now for my trip in early August)

You only need one visa. On the application, you fill in the length of time of your visit. The invitation letter that you must have before applying for the visa should specify the length of time as well.

Thanks Kingsbridge. One other question - is a multi-entry visa needed or can you get by with a single entry one? My guess is that we need the multi-entry since the ship is likely considered "non-Russian" territory.

I think this is the answer to your question,...I just posed it differently,....

Gail in NC

Hi Kingsbridge - agreed that private individuals shouldn't be used as the ultimate source for info, but I do find individuals' experiences to be a useful guide. Since I'm in London, I have easy access to the Russian embassy; we will be using a courrier service for my ILs.

Gail, thanks for the info - I would be wary, personally, of using a random taxi service off the web, at least in Russia, without some sort of assurance that they are reasonably legit (Russian society often operates much more in the "grey" areas of the law in my experience). Their taxis are not registered in the same way most large Western cities do theirs, so you could very well end up with a random person showing up and no way of holding them to account if something goes wrong. Just my impressions anyway.

We're planning on using GotoRussia.com for my MIL & FIL's visas in a couple of weeks. They've been recommended by several people on another travel board I frequent. Happy to post a review of that experience if you like.

I'll probably take a 1/2 day holiday to do the visa for DH and I here in London. We're getting our letters from WaytoRussia.com - another recommendation from online buddies, but they can only do the full service for people with European passports. I always get very antsy without my passport anyway.

The only thing I'm still a little unsure about is the "multi" versus "single" entry and I'll probably break down and call the embassy's advice service (at over £1 a minute, I would rather not, but not seeing where there is much choice. . .)

To Just Foxie. When I got my first Russian visa, I was living in London too. I stood on the line outside the embassy for about an hour and finally gave up and took a flyer from a young man who was advertising a visa service. I followed him to his office and paid the visa company to get the visa. Maybe they've improved the situation but it was not very convenient in 2002. According to the Russian Embassy information I read, they have changed the rules since I applied in London and nowadays you'll have to bring proof of your valid residency in Britain because they really want you to apply in your country of citizenship, not where you happen to be living.

I didn't want to guess at the correct answer to the question about multiple entry visas which is why I suggested checking with some service that does this all the time. In addition to checking these boards, it's worth a phone call or two.

I didn't want to guess at the correct answer to the question about multiple entry visas which is why I suggested checking with some service that does this all the time. In addition to checking these boards, it's worth a phone call or two.

Let me know how you two make out after the phone calls;,....I didn't realize that your not in the US,....well, you know what they say about people who make assumptions,..

And I've written two visa services here in the US. I'll post what they have to say about Single vs. Double Entry.

Thanks for the two recommendations on the paperwork. I understand that you don't want your visa earlier than 90 days before you use them. :confused:

Gail in NC

Plus, I've been looking at the YouTubes on St. Petersburg docks and city in general. I can see where I DO only want to spend my time at The Hermitage,....

Thanks for the two recommendations on the paperwork. I understand that you don't want your visa earlier than 90 days before you use them. :confused:

Gail in NC

Plus, I've been looking at the YouTubes on St. Petersburg docks and city in general. I can see where I DO only want to spend my time at The Hermitage,....

Yup - they won't give it to you more than 90 days and if my past experience is anything to go by, they would prefer even sooner. We're going to apply for ours at the end of April, so about 6 weeks in advance.

The Hermitage is WONDERFUL, and likely where we're going to spend most of the 2nd day (at least, if DH has anything to say about it; he's been talking about this particular site non-stop since we booked the cruise in Feb)

Knightsbridge, thanks for the heads up on the Russian embassy. I don't really have much of a choice, but to apply here in London since I'm not going to be back in the states before our trip. Our British entry clearence are in the same passports the Russian visas will go in, so that should work (at least, I'm told it will). *fingers crossed*

Knightsbridge, thanks for the heads up on the Russian embassy. I don't really have much of a choice, but to apply here in London since I'm not going to be back in the states before our trip. Our British entry clearence are in the same passports the Russian visas will go in, so that should work (at least, I'm told it will). *fingers crossed*

I am a New Zealander living in London and didn't have any problems getting a Russian visa in London last year for a trip that we did.

I have researched all of the mentioned items and wanted to share what I have found out:

1) Only one visa is required for the the three days that the ship is docked at a Russian port (not three visas; one for each day) because the ship is considered already in Russian and does not leave each evening. But I cannot apply until 90 days before the visa is needed.

2) The Seven Seas "Silver Cloud" docks at the downtown dock 2 blocks from The Hermitage. And I may be able to verify this by visiting the St. Petersburg ship schedule website (but it requires translation).

3) A dock master can change a dock at any time and this is a website in English if a taxi is required (and hopefully has an English speaking dispatcher,...)

http://www.taxi068.spb.ru/order.html

Hope that some of this information is useful to other ship-bound, independent travelers.

chocsugaw, if you link to the Russian website, I can find that information out for you. Lucky you being so close in! I'm on the Emerald who they're sticking out in the cargo port. :(

Here is the web site: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.pasp.ru/&ei=sYfaSeGnEOLJtgef04WeCA&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=7&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsea%2Bport%2Bst%2Bpetersburg%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADBR_enUS271US272%26sa%3DN%26start%3D30

I can get it in English but it is outdated and I can't (yet)find a schedule showing the current months. The Silver Cloud is only 16,800 that's why it's downtown.

Plus if you go here:

http://www.travelinrussia.com/petersburg_arrival/sea_river_port.html

and email them, perhaps they can recommend the best (easiest) transportation for you from the cargo dock.

Here's a map of the ports as they stand now:

http://www.fralliance.ru/portmap.html

Archived