I have seen the new terminal in bayonne

Anyone know which hotels priceline uses in the airport area or if any of the hotels have free shuttles to the port?

1997 Majesty of the Seas

1998 Sovereign of the Seas

2000 Radiance of the Seas

2003 Grandeur of the Seas

Hi all -- go to Bidding for Travelto find out what hotels Priceline uses in your area -- this is an excellent resource for getting hotels.

Although we normally use Priceline for our hotels, we decided to book the Royal Caribbean package through the Crowne Plaza Secaucus. You can leave your car at the hotel for the entire time and it includes a shuttle to and from the pier. For the 9 day trip, I believe the $149 per night fee is a good deal since it includes the one night stay, parking and roundtrip transfers for the 5 of us.

Hope this helps!

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=7>

<param name="day" value=02>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Until we sail the Voyager of the Seas!

to Deecruiser: the closest "train" station is the E. 34th Street station, which is part of the Bergan-Hudson Light Rail system. This "port" sure looks old & run down & will probably be that way for some time, but I think RCCL's plans are to build a new terminal eventually. There was a big article just a couple of weeks ago (another post had a link to it) in the Orlando Sentinal about the Pier in NYC (how inadequate the facilities are for the current volume & how RCCL bailed to Bayonne b/c of this).

We shall see just how makeshift the facilities are as we are going on the May 30 VOS to Canada. I don't expect much so I won't be disappointed.

cgc33a:

We'll be on the May 30th cruise also. I'm planning (perhaps naively) to do a bit of touring in NYC that day and then coming across to NJ (ferry? PATH?) and taking the train. I did hear they had a shuttle from the Bayonne station. Are those your plans, too?

Voyager 4/00

Explorer 1/02

Navigator 4/03

Just looked at that satelite photo a few posts above and have to agree that they're doesn't seem to be anywhere to park on whatever that is. Why would RCCL lie about this? When's the first cruise out of Cape Liberty to Bermuda? We have to try to get some feedback from those guys.

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Voyager on 5/21/04

Doing Empress om 9/18/04

They leave for Bermuda after our cruise, so forget that. Maybe we'll take a ride down to watch the 5 day embarkation.

OPPS! Can't do that either. Son's graduation. Is anyone going to just see what's happening?

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Voyager on 5/21/04

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

Deecruiser: I was thinking about flying in the day before & staying in Manhattan, but bought airline tickets at a great price for that Sunday. I have a few hours but don't think I will trek to the city unless we get in early (kids in tow & luggage). RCL is thinking about a ferry from NYC, directly to the pier, but no plans yet. There are ferries across the river (or whatever body of water it really is)but I am not familiar with where they let off & the transportation otions from them. NJ Transit trains go across to various stations. The Hoboken station or Exchange Place (Jersey City) connects with the light rail. Or you could take an airport bus (from several locations in NYC such as Penn Station or the Port Authority Bus Station) to Newark Airport. Another way to the airport is the AirTrain. Cab fare is 35. from the airport to the port. I think that is high for the few miles, but it is a set rate & a zoned fare. Anywhere else in that vicinity is 35. to the pier.

Chuck & Phyllis,

There seems to be something that could be parking on the NW part of the peninsula, several hundred cars worth at least.

Wasn't this the place where they said they weren't going to allow incoming cars until like 12:00 in order to give the departing people time to leave?

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

Deecruisere: first post didn't go through (& it was long) here's another try: Was thinking about NYC but found a good airfare on Sunday & even though we have a few hours, with the kids & luggage, I think we will pass on the city. You need at least 4 hours to do anything & include travel time back to the NJ side. You have several options: Bus to airport-Newark (from Penn Station or other points); AirTrain to airport, or NJ Transit to Hoboken or Exchange Place (Jersey City) which both stops connect with the light rail to the E.34th st. station. Cab from airport to pier (or anywhere else in Northern NJ it seems) is 35. Look at the Port Authority of NY/NJ web sites & the Newark airport web sites for transportation options.

Emailed C&A for an accurate answer. That area looks undeveloped and possibly wet on the satelite photo but hope you are right. However, that seems to be a long way from the actual place where the ship will dock. The inlet is suppossedly 2 miles long. Hardly adjacent to the terminal. Have a bad feeling about this and will probably opt for one of our children to drop us off and pick us up. Now, the next question is: Is the port able to handle incoming and outgoing traffic for this to happen?

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Voyager on 5/21/04

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

I just hope we don't have one of those -OOPS! we goofed and Bayonne Port won't be ready so we are rerouting you to a different port of departure. I don't think RCI is necessarily lieing as I'm sure they were planning on everything being ready but things do happen and plans don't always pan out.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

that could happen, but I am on the third one going out. I am hoping for some of the bugs to be worked out (I am sure some will still remain)by then. I guess we will know in plenty of time if we are "rerouted". I guess the insurance I purchased (not from RCCL) will cover that, but I will check to make sure.

Can you post the link to the satellite photos? I would like to see that icon_smile.gif

Bobbie

<MARQUEE>Voyager of the Seas in....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 </MARQUEE>

Adventure of the Seas 2-03

Enchantment of the Seas 3-03

Majesty of the Seas 5-03

Adventure of the Seas 9-03

Sovereign of the Seas 11-03

Sovereign of the Seas 1-04

Grandeur of the Seas 3-04

My albums can be viewed with this link...

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/

We are flying in Thursday for a Saturday departure on the Empress to Bermuda in June.

We're flying into LaGuardia and plan on using a car service to get us to the port on Saturday. Seems like I should be thankful we don't have to park!!

DecafMom
Nordic Empress, 6/12/04
Explorer of the Seas, 6/28/03
Grand Princess, 2/17/02

I know that there is a travel agent trip out of this port on May 14th (2 night cruise to nowhere). My mother is a travel agent, and my parents are going on it.

I'll be happy to share with all of you anything that I learn about the port.

I'm going to be on the May 30th sailing as well. Here's hoping that everything will go off as planned. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mona

Is anyone else using their Bus program. Do you think they charge full price for kids?

[url="http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/General_info/Flyers/SL04-120839a_Cape_Liberty.pdf"]http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/General_info/Flyers/SL04-120839a_Cape_Liberty.pdf[/url]

Serenade of Seas 11/27/04
Empress of Seas 5/29/04
Serenade of Seas 10/9/03
Serenade of Seas 9/03
Grandeur Of the Seas 9/96
Sovereign of the Seas
Crown Princess
NCL Seaward
Carnival Festivale 1989

Thanks, cgc33a.

I notice you're bringing your kids. How old are they? I'm taking my 11 year old daughter. That's the main reason we're going in to NYC first. She's really eager to get a taste of the city. I'm sure it will be a real short visit and then rush off to the port.

Voyager 4/00
Explorer 1/02
Navigator 4/03

There is ample parking on the Penninsula at Bayonne. I disagree with what kegraties said because I know for a fact that RCCL will be letting everyone park there (I have a friend who works for the Penninsula's site development Engineering firm). Of course you can not get on the site right now, it is private property with a guardhouse, BUT on the day of the sailing they will let all vehicles park there who need to with an accompannying ticket booklet. So don't fret folks parking will be on-site.

Construction is on-going and I was told by the same source that it is around the clock.

The Penninsula may be a bit run down but that is the whole point for RCCL to move there... it is a rebuilding project in its very beginning stages. There are some movie sound stages currently there and the plans call for new townhomes and shopping etc... give it a chance to get off the ground before you hound it... RCCL sees some potential in it.

~Bill

Nordic Prince Summer 84, Meridian 8/94, Song of America 8/95, Song of America 7/97, Horizon 7/98, Nordic Empress 7/99, Paradise 7/00, Nordic Empress 7/01, Navigator of the Seas 1/03, Norwegian Sun 3/03, Adventure of the Seas 3/04, Voyager of the Seas 7/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;2;10;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until the Voyager of the Seas

Deecruiser: My son will be 10 in June, daughter 3 1/2. I took son to NYC in 2002 for a long weekend trip to introduce him to Gotham (he knows Batman etc). Went to a museum (Natural History). Statue to Liberty (grounds only, couldn't go in) & saw a play (Beauty and the Beast). He said he didn't enjoy it, but I am sure he did. If I didn't have luggage, I would consider going into the city, but what to do with the bags?

If anyone is looking for a hotel in Jersey City, my company did a site inspection of the Hyatt (which is right on the river) and loved it - there is a path across the street or you can take the ferry into New York City.

Just thought I would pass this on.

8/27/2004 - Voyager of the Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;11;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  'til our 10th cruise!!

7/11/2004 - Voyager of the Seas (Cruise #10!)
August 2003 - Carnival Legend
July 2003 - Carnival Victory
August 2002 - Grand Princess
July 2002 - Carnival Triumph
August 2001 - RCI Explorer of the Seas
August 2000 - RCI Enchantment of the Seas
July 1999 - Carnival Triumph
July 1998 - Carnival Ecstasy
July 1997 - Carnival Ecstasy

cgc33a:

We'll have carryons (rolling) only, so I'm game to drag them through NY for a short time. I'm still fine tuning the travel arrangements from the city to Bayonne, but it should work out.

I hope you enjoy the cruise. This will be our first time to Canada. We have only gone to the Caribbean in the past. I'm looking forward to the 9 day cruises there sometime in the future.

We're Diana (me) and Liz. Maybe we'll see you on board! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Voyager 4/00
Explorer 1/02
Navigator 4/03

My DH and I will be on the 5-30 cruise. I am so excited--I too have never been to Canada. What will the weather be like the 1st week in June? Are we meeting on the 5-30 cruise for a "cruise critic" moment?

(We are not bringing any grandchildren with us, but love kids!! We plan to sail with our grandkids very soon....looking for a bargain!)

Born to cruise!!

Archived