Altun ha or Xunantunich?

Mikellie

We're doing Xuanantunich 2 weeks after you. It's one of the largest sites around. I don't see any tours to El Pilar which has taller pryamids but is deeper in the country. DW wants to see mor ethna the quicker view/smaller site you'll get at Al Tun. But I'd say if there's anything else you want to do in Belize City, book the shorter tour. We're not shoppers of the geegaw at tourist ports. I'd hope to be able to get a bottle of the local beer, but that's about it. 6-7 hours will make for a long day, however. We're booking through the ship rather than possible cheaper independents because we don't want to miss the boat.

Have a good cruise.

DH and I did Xunantunich a couple of year ago. It was amazing! It's very remote and very eerie. It was raining that day so we couldn't climb all the way to the top, but even so, it was awesome and you could see all the way to

Guatemala.

The hand cranked ferry across the river is cool too. And be sure to bring plenty of money as the locals sell the neatest hand carved slate tablets by the ferry as well as other souvenirs.

It is a very long day, but the bus ride goes pretty quickly and a good guide will break it up with info about the country. One thing, it is a long steep walk up to the ruins so if you are out of shape it's kind of hard. My asthma was acting up that day and it was rough, but I made it and it was definitely worth it!

We are doing Altun ha this year and look forward to that as well.

Archived