K-Pauls: Good or Bad?

KandMGIn

We are looking into eating at KPauls. We see the dishes are around 25 a person. Is the food worth this money? My DH loves his Chef Paul cookbook and the spices. Really, we want a good bowl of Jambalaya and some seafood in a nice place with some ambiance. If not KPauls, any other suggestions?

I honestly think that a tourist would like the food. I am not saying that it is bad, but when you grow up on food like that you would not go out to pay $25 for an entree. You should like it, but the lines are very long to get in. You can wait as much as 2 hours depending on when you go.

You can make reservations at K Pauls these days. I've never eaten there, but I do like blackened stuff. I think more tourists than locals go there.

I assume you've found the website and have checked out the menu. If it looks like something you would like, then I would say go for it. If your husband likes the cookbook and all, it would probably be a shame to not try the "real" thing. There is no shortage of imitators.

Personally I tend to go more for fried seafood, but like blackened once in a while or even broiled/grilled.

OK. I've been there many times. The food is consistently good, the blackened redfish (Paul originated blackened food) is excellent! The restaurant itself is a little hole-in-the-wall, but the servers are fast and friendly. And - It may seem a bit pricey, but then all the really good N.O. restaurants are. Go, and enjoy!:)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while (years) since I've eaten there, but I WILL BE THERE in July 2005 before my Conquest cruise departure.

I love the crawfish etouffee

IM counting down the days and I do intend to make reservations.

( I waited in line for at least an hour but it was worth it!

Lunch Hours

Thursday, Friday and Saturday

11:30 am to 2:30 pm

Click Here to See a Sample Lunch Menu

Dinner Hours

Monday through Saturday

5:30 pm to 10:00 pm

Reservations for lunch and dinner always accepted by calling

(504) 524-7394

Crawfish Etouffee' (a-too-fay) is smothered crawfish, onions, bell pepper, celery, and cajun seasonings, in a light red sauce, served over rice. A cajun delicacy for sure. It's wonderful!

I haven't checked the menu lately, but at one time, there was a "cajun sampler platter" that included the etouffee, jambalaya, red beans and rice, and a bowl of gumbo. If it's still on the menu, that's your best bet!:)

Edited to say:

Most cajun dishes have onions, bell pepper, and celery - it's what we call 'the trinity' down here.

I ate there last April and loved it. Sure enough, there is always a line, but across the street is a place where you can buy a hurricane to sip in line while you wait. Can't remember the name of the place. Actually, I bypassed the line by asking to eat at the bar, but I was by myself. There was a N.O. cop stationed at the door, who slipped me in. His job ostensibly is crowd control, but I think it's more part of the show. I had a stuffed pork chop that was outstanding. If you want an alternative, try Brennan's Steakhouse (blackened prime rib with crawfush sauce topped off with a cigar from their menu) or Mr. B's Bistro (gumbo sampler, jambalaya over noodles). Both of these are in the Quarter. Check out the Blues Club on Bourbon after dinner. The place is a dive, but the music....!!!!

I have eaten there twice. The first time was in 1988 and it was a dive at that time but the food was excellent. I guess it was before it got trendy. The next time I ate there was 2000. It didn't look like the same place but the food was still very good. As far as other places to eat, I have never found a bad place to eat in New Orleans.

We are looking into eating at KPauls. We see the dishes are around 25 a person. Is the food worth this money? My DH loves his Chef Paul cookbook and the spices. Really, we want a good bowl of Jambalaya and some seafood in a nice place with some ambiance. If not KPauls, any other suggestions?

We ate there several years ago, but left with a bad taste in our mouth. First, you are seated at a table with strangers (which I did not like). And second, my husband gave the waiter a $100 bill and we waited and waited for our change (which was about $40). Finally, my DH had to get up and go and ask for the change. Did not like the waiter assuming that the change was his tip. Would not go there again. Better places to eat.

K Pauls is ok, very touristy if you like that stuff. If you are looking for good seafood, you might want to try GW Fins. A good place to bring the kids is Masperos on Decatur across from the Jax Brewery. Great sandwiches and very loud.

Dave

I believe your hotel is on St. Charles It is a bit of a walk, you have to cross Canal St. and head down to the river. It will probably be cool when you are in town. I would just take cab. Once there, there is a lot to see and do on Decatur.

Archived