HELP - Totally confused about renting a car in Maui

1cruiselvr

HELP! I'm totally confused about renting a car in Maui. Itinerary says the ship tenders at Lahaina Maui, but when I try to book a rental thru Hertz I get 3 choices for Maui - Kapalua Airport, Maui Marriott and West Maui Rental. Which is the closest to the pier where the ship will tender in their pax? Thanks.

The West Maui site is the closest to the tender pier. The shuttles pick up in front of the old courthouse. Off the tender & turn right. Ride to to the rental location is 10/15 minutes. Regards Jack P.S. We have a reservation at that location for our 12/05 Infinity 15 night cruise.

The Kapalua airport and the West Maui site are the same location (more or less since shuttles at the airport will shuttle you to the West Maui Rental site to get your car). Technically, the closest location is the Hyatt Regency. But like I said in the other thread, probably best to go to the West Maui site since they mention cruise ships in their description:

West Maui Rental Center pixel.gifpixel.gif

Address:31 Halawai Drive

City:Kaanapali Lahaina

State/Province:Hawaii

Telephone:808-661-7735

Fax:808-661-7734

Location Type: Corporate

Hours of Operation: 0800-1600 7 Dayspixel.gif

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:Pier - Please call after ship docks to arrange for pickup. Include name of ship on reservation.

Spleen

The West Maui airport is what you want for Lahaina. It is about 8 miles from the tender pier via shuttle. The other airport is nearly 35 miles away. Alamo will only take the driver in their shuttle, so you must drive back to the tender pier to pick up the rest of your party (no parking either). Not sure about the other companies, but Budget/Alamo runs their last shuttle back to the pier at 3:30 and the office closes at 4:30. If you want to return a car after this, they will recommend a cab company. We planned ahead for this and I was able to share a cab with 5 others on another ship in port. Total cab fare back to the tender pier was about $15.

I suggest that, when you make your reservation, confirm that they will pick you up at the pier in Lahaina. We found out that Thrifty does not ( someone told us this on the board - and we should have paid closer attention!). We also found out we could get a better deal by asking each shuttle driver/rental car rep at the pier what kind of price they could offer.

You shouldn't need to pay any $$ to get to/from the rental car location.

Cathy

Does that mean we should book the car "just in case" but check with the shuttle driver or rep. at the pier? Then use them if they're cheaper than the one we've pre-booked? Wouldn't the agency know we'd already reserved a car in our name if we tried to book based on the rate given by shuttle driver or pier rep?

I'm :confused:

I would book the best deal you can find ahead of time just to be sure. Then, check with the reps from the different companies at the pier. That way you have it covered. Even if you end up going with the company you have reserved with, it's a good idea to see if they have any better deals. Sometimes they do. You don't have anything to lose, as you don't put down any kind of $ when you make your reservation. Keep it as stress-free as possible and enjoy!

Archived