• Constellation
    • Xpedition

Horizon 31 Days
Zenith 28 days and 14 in Jan/Feb
Century 14 days (had the shakes)
Galaxy 25 days and another 41 days this year
Millennium 21 days
Summit 21 days
Infinity 15 days (tendency to break down=free cruises)

Favorite : Infinity.... ***** no faults found (almost)
Galaxy... does cheap transatlantics and Mediterranean
Zenith cosiest Michael's club

obssessive/compulsive cruiser....

[quote name='hdawson']Interesting in that after all the hysteria two or three wks ago, Century is still the second most popular ship in the fleet.[/QUOTE]

Based on wonderful memories.... not the quality of water which should be taken with a grain of salt (or lemon)
:cool:

... best of the 4 X ships we've sailed so far, anyway (Mercury, Century, Millennium, Infinity) ... It's got the elegance and medium size of the Century with some added touches that are more reminiscent of M-class -- the aft outside Fun Factory space and indoor pool -- but its indoor pool is a simple all-ages swimming pool rather than an inferior T-pool -- in THAT department, Mercury has the Real Deal, in the spa, full bubble action :) We also prefer the Mercury decor -- the blues are a bit darker -- the lighting effects in areas such as the stairwells are a bit more memorable. Interesting to see the love for Summit -- hoping to check that one out, perhaps in '06 ... TR

• 2 months later...
I voted for Summit because it has the beautiful Normandie restaurant. I'm a bit of an ocean liner history buff, and Normandie is the ship I would choose if I could go back in time and sail on one of the classics.

[quote name='twopats']We prefer the Mercury having sailed on her 4 times to the Constellation (Baltic 8/26/04) due mostly to the quality of food. For some reason, everyone we talked to noticed small things by comparing the M class to the C class. For one thing, I am not a lobster fan so on the final night when everyone is all excited over the lobster, I always ordered the Beef Wellington. Low and behold--no beef wellington anymore on the final night! Beef was excellent however on the whole cruise whereas the fish was not as good. The food in Ocean Liners was outstanding as other correspondents have said but when they charge you $30 (yes, it's up to $30 now) and you only get a CHOICE of either an appetizer, soup, or salad, that is a rip off. The dessert souffle was just delicious however. I guess when you're charged $30 you expect a lot more. We are back to the Mercury on 1/17/05 and looking forward to seeing if they have kept their high standards re food preparation and food. Trish[/QUOTE]

Trish,
Whenever I see a complaint about the charge for the restaurant I have to ask, have you ever been to a restaurant on land that only charged you $30 that had that level of service and that kind of cuisine? My bride and I eat out a lot at very high end restaurants in Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco and NYC. Most places, that $30 would not even cover our 20% tip.

I dont want troll up the alternative restaurant feelings but to clarify a few points. You can order more than just an appetizer and an entry if you push it.

The food is so rich and the portions are larger than upstairs such that you really dont want to order more.

The first time we went we each ordered the lobster veloutet, goat cheese soufflet as appetizers and it wasnt a problem for them but it was a problem for our beltlines. I really wanted to enjoy the cheese course more but I was feeling pretty full by then.

The second time I ordered the ceasar and split it and my wife ordered the goat cheese and we shared it. We felt much better that way.

Somebody on the princess board suggested they carb/fat up the meals so you get full faster and eat less. Maybe so. Maybe so.

An equivalent land based meal has to be at least $80-$100 before tip and cetainly more at the fancy places.

I have paid $150 apiece when you include tip and reasonably priced wine.

So I just cant see the $30 a problem especially when you generally dont tip on it.

We've sailed on the Century and the Mercury. I have to say the Century is my favorite by a big margain! We will be on the Summit to Alaska in May and very happy to see that the Century and Summit are number 1 & 2 in the poll!

My reason for the Century. Will I sound like a lush if I say it's the Martini Bar? That was our favorite meeting place on the Century, and the Crystal room so elegant. On the Mercury, the Martini looks like it was placed where it is by an afterthought. OK, now that I've mentioned the Martini Bar, the other reason why the Century wins my vote (till possibly our Summit cruise in May) is because it is simply classy. She is beautiful, showing her age well! Just my opinion!

Ok, I just registered today even though I have been lurking for a while. I did it JUST so I could post this reply. Can someone please tell me they are head over heels for Horizon??? I have been on Galaxy and Zenith and loved them both but I haven't heard many people gush over Horizon, which I will be experiencing in June. They use words like, "cozy," "broken in." I'm worried that I am going to be dissappointed when I board.

Annein. Out of my 16 cruises, Horizon remains one of my absolute favorites. I just returned from my second cruise on her and the food and service was faultless. There is a homeyness that is less noticeable on larger ships. Maybe because the ship lacks some of the bells and whistles of the larger ships the staff goes that extra step to make you want to come back over and over again. You will get to know more fellow guests and crew than larger ships. You will have a great time I'm sure.

Could this be an extra incentive to book Horizon before she finally leaves??

It's always good to hear of staff who do these favours for the passengers. On Zenith last October, almost everyone on board ... from the barkeep in Rainbow Roon, to my fav waiter (Veronica)
made me appreciate the special intimacy found on a smaller ship.

I have to say ....

Horizon and Zenith are the best ships in the fleet!

To the OP (usha)

I think the poll would have worked better, if both ZENITH AND HORIZON were included in the same category.

Both ships are the same ... pax, facilities, size, etc...

I voted for Zenith (as you can see) because of my latest experience on board. And I'm sure HORIZON offers the same.

Seems as though many like the 'Century class' for God knows what... only to be deprived of a small ship experience.

These 2 ships are one in a million, and they deserve a special mention..

[quote name='Vic The Parrot']

Seems as though many like the 'Century class' for God knows what... only to be deprived of a small ship experience.

[/QUOTE]

Horizon and Zenith aren't exactly the same, they have different personalities. (Sun and Dawn Princess would be the same) Why like Century ships? While I'll go along that they aren't small ship experiences they are *the* ships that brought Celebrity up to a high ship standard. They brought in the aft dining room with picture windows, aqua spas, martini/champagne bars, Cova cafe, upped the Celebrity PSR, grand foyers, Celebrity's art style, in fact most of what is in the Millennium class owes to the Century class. Century class also has the distinction of using different designers and different furnishings in major public areas and are not carbon copies of each other within in most major public areas (like the Millie class).

The Century class has the television art and took a lot more chances than the newer Millennium class. They have more entertainment venues and lounges than the Millennium class. They have a mix of cozy feel yet grand feel and use their space efficiently. They are totally designed by Celebrity, no other line is involved in their design and I think best represent the Celebrity experience. The Zenith and Horizon were not originally made for Celebrity and the Millie is a shared RCI/Celebrity hull and design.

Wow, that's the first time I heard anyone else mention the Meridian. That was my first cruise about 15 years ago when I was 18. What a great time that was! Good memories of that ship to Bermuda. ;)

I can't answer this thread because I've only been on Century so far (but have Horizon and Mercury stacked for this year). However, I just saw Infinity for the first time today, trying to get in to the drydock in San Francisco. I really hate to say this, as this was my first live look at a Millenium-class ship, but...she looked like a floating apartment building. The stern is completely flat, it looked rather like a container ship or an oversized barge kind of thing.

I'm so sorry, I bet she's wonderful on the inside, I keep hearing about all the fabulous facilities on board and am in fact contemplating a 2006 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Infinity...but today, in the Bay...well, I'll just say that I think Century is a lot prettier.

It was funny, when we docked in St. Thomas last year on Century some huge Carnival boat pulled up alongside. The Westerdam was also there. I thought the Century was the prettiest of the three. Someone walking along the pier said "You came on that ship? It's so little! Ours is so much bigger, I'm glad we're not on your ship." I didn't reply, but just thought "yeah, but our food is the best and our ship is cuter." :) :)

[quote name='Leela']I can't answer this thread because I've only been on Century so far (but have Horizon and Mercury stacked for this year). However, I just saw Infinity for the first time today, trying to get in to the drydock in San Francisco. I really hate to say this, as this was my first live look at a Millenium-class ship, but...she looked like a floating apartment building. The stern is completely flat, it looked rather like a container ship or an oversized barge kind of thing.
[/QUOTE]
I am not voting because I am like an earlier poster, "The best is the one I am on now." Or to modify that, "The best is the last one I was on."
I can tell you that the Inifinity is a good sail and I have never worried about a pretty ship since I don't look at the outside when I am on board.;) I just got off in SD before you saw it on the way to drydock and we had that most fantastic cruise experience a person could hope for.
We (wife and I) have had nothing but great cruises on X ships so I vote for them all.

Archived