Calling GlacierLady! Need Seward-to-elsewhere transport help :-)

quiescentlyfrozen

Hello!

Question for you. My fiance and I (then-to-be-husband) are staying 3 nights in Seward after getting off of the Celebrity Millenium. We've been convinced by a friend who used to live there to spend several days in Kodiak as well. Near as I can tell, the best way to get to Kodiak from Seward is with a stop in Homer to pick up the ferry to Kodiak (after which we'd do a one-way flight from Kodiak back to ANC to do Denali and then leave AK).

So, my questions are these...

1) Is Kodiak great? WOuld you agree this is worth it?

2) Assuming so, is the ferry from Homer to Kodiak the best way to get there?

3) If *that* is the case, what is the best way to get to Homer? From what I can tell (am I wrong?) there's not rail to Homer, so we'd need to take the bus or else rent a car to drop off there iwth a one way fee. Are there other ways to go? What would you reccomend?

Any and all opinions and rec's would be appreciated :-)

Thanks!!!

Kodiak is a great time for fishing and bear viewing. It's far enough off the beaten path that you'll feel pretty special having gone there.

The ferry is but one option. The other is to make your way back to Anchorage and fly with either Alaska Airlines or ERA Aviation. It's about a 1 hour flight with multiple departures a day.

Regarding transportation to Homer, you can drive the route but there is no train and no regularly-scheduled flights.

I hope that helps,

Happy Alaskan

Kodiak is a great time for fishing and bear viewing. It's far enough off the beaten path that you'll feel pretty special having gone there.

The ferry is but one option. The other is to make your way back to Anchorage and fly with either Alaska Airlines or ERA Aviation. It's about a 1 hour flight with multiple departures a day.

Regarding transportation to Homer, you can drive the route but there is no train and no regularly-scheduled flights.

I hope that helps,

Happy Alaskan

Hi Andy,

It sure is hard catching up to you. Let me know what thread you are usually on so we can catch up. It's been awhile since we've talked.

Millie

I hope that helps,

Happy Alaskan

Seward to Homer-the Homer Stage

Great service-fair price

http://thestageline.net/

And take the ferry. Book a cabin, unless you are young enough to REALLY enjoy camping out on the deck. MUST have warm sleeping bags for the deck. Would be a hassle.

Ferry leaves Homer late evening. Arrives Kodiak the next morning before lunch. Nice, peaceful ride to a peaceful place. Spend a few days in Homer before you go to Kodiak. Don't plan on a long stay in Kodiak. Unless you are a fishing nut, there really is not a lot to do. Quite a few of the bear viewing excursions out of Kodiak actually fly to the Katmai. The Katmai is easily reached from Homer. For a spectacular bear viewing experience, you might want to contact Munsey Bear Camp. http://www.munseysbearcamp.com/

For an even more spectacular experience, try Hallo Bay out of Homer. Overnight bear camp-from a couple days to a full week. Truly Spectacular!!!!

http://www.hallobay.com/

Archived