Carnival.com claims lowest prices but i found cheaper

jpmaximus

How come Carnival.com says it offers the lowest prices but i have found and booked for less with other sites (not able to name them)? Anyone else noticed this?

Most ppl here will say 1 of 2 things.

1) TA is reducing some of their commission and past that on to you.

2) TA booked you into one of their exsisting group cruise where you were able to get a savings that way.

These might possible reasons why you got a cheaper rate.

When I booked directly with Disney I had a certain rate. When I switched my booking to a TA, it saved me almost $700. I say dont question it, enjoy your cheap rate:D.

for this Cruise, the Carnival web site beat ALL I could find... (and I tried but couldn't beat 204pp guarantee OV and got a 6c )

when you can beat the price ..share share :D

Disney TA got it $1000 less for a Veranda than Disney/

I guess it all depends on how far out and how long you search.

Most ppl here will say 1 of 2 things.

1) TA is reducing some of their commission and past that on to you.

2) TA booked you into one of their exsisting group cruise where you were able to get a savings that way.

These might possible reasons why you got a cheaper rate.

When I booked directly with Disney I had a certain rate. When I switched my booking to a TA, it saved me almost $700. I say dont question it, enjoy your cheap rate:D.

Yep, that's pretty much what I've learned around here.

How come Carnival says it offers the lowest prices but i have found and booked for less with other sites (not able to name them)? Anyone else noticed this?

I think you missed the point... Carnival has a best price guarantee not necessarily the lowest price... Here's the link:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/guarantee.aspx?WT.mc_id=Bhmgpgnewnotablepriceguarantee

How come Carnival says it offers the lowest prices but i have found and booked for less with other sites (not able to name them)? Anyone else noticed this?

BE CAREFUL!

Always remember: Cheaper is NOT always better. IF I had a nickel for every thread that I read here of people that booked through XYZ and then got burned, I would have my next cruise paid off...!

More than looking for the lowest price, look for:

- Reputation (are you dealing with someone who knows what they're doing?)

- Product knowledge (can they answer your questions about the product you're purchasing?)

- Customer Service (Are they friendly and responsive? Are they easy to get a hold of? Can they assist you quickly?)

- Professionalism (Have they been thoroughly trained?)

- Financial status (Remember all those passengers who were left stranded when a big discounter went out of business a few months ago?)

- Fees (Are they charging you additional fees like booking fees, change or cancellation fees outside of penalty?)

DON'T shoot yourself in the foot based on price only. Shop around, ask lots of questions, compare one individual against another, and make a decision then. Some PVP's are excellent, some are not. Some TA's are excellent, some are not. When you find the right individual to trust with the thousands of dollars you're about to spend, you'll know!

I've been dealing with the same PVP for 4 years. She's awesome in every aspect, and has made our vacations much more memorable (including coming to the ship to meet us). Even if she couldn't match the price of an online travel discounter, I'd still book through her. The peace of mind of dealing with someone who meets all the criteria listed above is worth every penny.

I think you have to be careful, too, to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. On one of the discount sites I found a great price for a balcony and contacted my Carnival PVP to see if I could book at that price (which appeared to be lower than the Carnival website). She was actually able to beat that price, but then e-mailed me pictures to see what an obstructed balcony looked like. The price on the discount website was for an obstructed balcony - but it didn't say that on the website. My Carnival PVP wanted to make sure I knew what an obstructed balcony looked like and would I be happy with it. I wasn't - and I went with the next upgrade. My point is, with all the many different levels of inside cabins, balconies, etc. - make sure that the price you are comparing from Carnival is really for the same level of cabin on a discount site. I have booked all 3 of my cruises with Carnival and have been happy with the prices. I did get a rate reduction once when the price went down after I booked.

for this Cruise, the Carnival web site beat ALL I could find... (and I tried but couldn't beat 204pp guarantee OV and got a 6c )

when you can beat the price ..share share :D

Disney TA got it $1000 less for a Veranda than Disney/

I guess it all depends on how far out and how long you search.

even if I find a lower rate I can't share it with you as we are not allowed to mention travel agents or agencies here.

Just out of curiousity how did you check? Did you just go to other websites or did you actually contact other agencies?

Blessed with 12,

Interesting that CCL beat the price of a travel agent. First time I've ever heard that one.

I didn't think that they would do that or even match a lower price.

Bill

Distilled...

There are plenty of lists of the acronyms floating around the board. These were posted yesterday by momofzeke. I know I was confused at first.

DH = Dear Hubby

DW = Dear Wife

DD = Dear Daughter

DS = Dear Son

OBC = Onboard Credit

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner (Carnival)

IMO = In my Opinion or IMHO = In my Humble Opinion

I learned them as darling husband and darling wife, but there's no real difference. She left out TA = Travel Agent. A quick search will pull up a list of all the common acronyms used on the board.

Jim

I think you have to be careful, too, to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. On one of the discount sites I found a great price for a balcony and contacted my Carnival PVP to see if I could book at that price (which appeared to be lower than the Carnival website). She was actually able to beat that price, but then e-mailed me pictures to see what an obstructed balcony looked like. The price on the discount website was for an obstructed balcony - but it didn't say that on the website. My Carnival PVP wanted to make sure I knew what an obstructed balcony looked like and would I be happy with it. I wasn't - and I went with the next upgrade. My point is, with all the many different levels of inside cabins, balconies, etc. - make sure that the price you are comparing from Carnival is really for the same level of cabin on a discount site. I have booked all 3 of my cruises with Carnival and have been happy with the prices. I did get a rate reduction once when the price went down after I booked.

The one big turn off for me when getting price quotes from other sites is the pricing for a guarantee! I always specify I do not want a guarantee and each and every time they will quote the price for one. I finally learned that I had to give them a cabin number to get a price on the cabin I was interested in. I wonder how many times people are confused by that? I know alot of my friends will tell me how cheap cruises are and how "I" can sail for $399 because they saw it advertised. I try to explain that the $399 price they saw was for a 1a cabin at a specific time and did not include taxes. They assume because it's advertised it applies to every single sailing date. Trying to explain it all to someone who has no idea what the levels and types of cabins means is hard esp if they have never cruised. It took me a long time to realize how it all worked.

Distilled...

There are plenty of lists of the acronyms floating around the board. These were posted yesterday by momofzeke. I know I was confused at first.

DH = Dear Hubby

DW = Dear Wife

DD = Dear Daughter

DS = Dear Son

OBC = Onboard Credit

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner (Carnival)

IMO = In my Opinion or IMHO = In my Humble Opinion

Jim

I thought DW was dish washer?:D

even if I find a lower rate I can't share it with you as we are not allowed to mention travel agents or agencies here.

Just out of curiousity how did you check? Did you just go to other websites or did you actually contact other agencies?

Blessed with 12,

Interesting that CCL beat the price of a travel agent. First time I've ever heard that one.

I didn't think that they would do that or even match a lower price.

Bill

Yeah. I have the same questions.

You are not going to find publicly listed prices lower than Carnival's. Usually you have to request a quote or talk to someone. The price listed by Carnival is always the starting point for me and I expect to pay quite a bit less. I've never bothered to try and get a price match from Carnival because they don't price match discounted fares.

BE CAREFUL!

Always remember: Cheaper is NOT always better. IF I had a nickel for every thread that I read here of people that booked through XYZ and then got burned, I would have my next cruise paid off...!

More than looking for the lowest price, look for:

- Reputation (are you dealing with someone who knows what they're doing?)

- Product knowledge (can they answer your questions about the product you're purchasing?)

- Customer Service (Are they friendly and responsive? Are they easy to get a hold of? Can they assist you quickly?)

- Professionalism (Have they been thoroughly trained?)

- Financial status (Remember all those passengers who were left stranded when a big discounter went out of business a few months ago?)

- Fees (Are they charging you additional fees like booking fees, change or cancellation fees outside of penalty?)

DON'T shoot yourself in the foot based on price only. Shop around, ask lots of questions, compare one individual against another, and make a decision then. Some PVP's are excellent, some are not. Some TA's are excellent, some are not. When you find the right individual to trust with the thousands of dollars you're about to spend, you'll know!

I've been dealing with the same PVP for 4 years. She's awesome in every aspect, and has made our vacations much more memorable (including coming to the ship to meet us). Even if she couldn't match the price of an online travel discounter, I'd still book through her. The peace of mind of dealing with someone who meets all the criteria listed above is worth every penny.

Good to hear that someone has a good relationship with their PVP. We have had 4 different PVP's. Not sure why but 4 different ones have called us. They keep calling us every week. Even called us and asked if we wanted to book a cruise when we were leaving in 2 days for a cruise. We told them not to call us anymore, that we would call the 800 number to book our cruises.

We have not had a pleasant experience yet with our PVP. Started out by booking the wrong date on an Early Saver Program......Had to fight to not pay the $50 pp change fee even thought I contacted them less than 5 min. after I hung up the pone (called when e-mail arrived with wrong date).

PVP switched us to a 4B room after quoting a 4A room. That cost us money.

With over 10 months to sail date I found an advertised price for the same cruise from a CruiseCritic advertiser and Carnival said their "Best Price Guarantee" was only good for Carnival.com prices. If i wanted lower price I would have to Transfer my Booking. Then told me that other TA's would fee me to death and i would pay more. (not true with TA i found from CruiseCritic advertiser.)

Now carnival.com is offering free best available upgrade. PVP told me that that isn't available, and that the website is just too confusing to understand.

I, nor anyone else in my group has ever had problems with PVP's. Not sure what is happening.

I thought that was what it was. PVP.. I know most of them but that was a new one to me.

I called our TA and she couldn't beat our price from the carnival website. (I did do a Guarantee cabin though and am happy with that, for a last minute sailing it worked out fantastic.) I could get a better price from the TA for next year... but we wanted to be south now :D

Archived