Explorer Brides 2009

bermuda09

Oh yes. We leave in less than 8 weeks and I am a little worried. Honestly, I don't think it will affect the wedding since it is our second stop and it seems that the first and/or last stops are the ones affected. But it just bothers me that we have been planning and saving for this for 2 years only to have something like this happen and interfere with our trip. I'm also angry that RCCL will not acknowledge the problem and continus to tell everyone on each sailing that the ship is fixed and the itinerary will not be changed, only to have there folks show up at the cruiseport and be told otherwise. If (God forbid) I do have to change my wedding plans, I better be told about BEFORE we get there!!!! As it looks now, I am guessing our itinerary will be affected by having us get to San Juan late, leaving us with less time there. I think that may be the only change, as I can see it now. My worst fear is that they will cancel our sailing altogether so the ship can go into dry-dock to be repaired. While I know it would make those on the future sailings feel better, it would be devastating for me!!

Oh I just noticed you are sailing to Bermuda. I can see why you are concerned, since you don't have the option to miss any ports! I believe they start the Bermuda sailings in May, so after that first Bermuda sailing you should know how/if your sailing will be affected. I know that until then it is going to be tough to just sit and wait. Calling RCCL is useless since they will just lie to you and tell you it was fixed. This really stinks!:mad::(

Yeah so I'm on the first Bermuda sailing......

I'm really trying to think positive. At least my wedding is scheduled for 6pm the first day! So as long as we make it to Bermuda I should be fine!

I just called and finished paying my whole group off today. And asked again about my Portofino reservations and was told they don't make group reservations prior to the cruise anymore. You have to do it once you get on board. Guess I will be running straight there when I get on board!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us, I guess only time will tell.

Yeah so I'm on the first Bermuda sailing......

I'm really trying to think positive. At least my wedding is scheduled for 6pm the first day! So as long as we make it to Bermuda I should be fine!

I just called and finished paying my whole group off today. And asked again about my Portofino reservations and was told they don't make group reservations prior to the cruise anymore. You have to do it once you get on board. Guess I will be running straight there when I get on board!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us, I guess only time will tell.

Oh you're in a rough spot...glad you are thinking positive though! Hmm..this whole business about not doing group bookings ahead of time frightens me though. My TA told me we were all set with our reservations at portofinos....I hope she is right and they will still honor that even though they have no changed their policy. *sigh* So much to worry about!

I am glad I am not the only one who is slightly worried.

Cattie: please keep me informed as to what goes on with your sailing. I hope that since Bermuda is the only stop for us, we won't have too much of a problem. I am going to be getting married the second day at noon, so like you, as long as we get there, it will be okay.

Esbie: How was your travel agent able to book a group rate at Portofinos? I have been asking them to look into this for me since June. How many people are in your party?

I am glad I am not the only one who is slightly worried.

Cattie: please keep me informed as to what goes on with your sailing. I hope that since Bermuda is the only stop for us, we won't have too much of a problem. I am going to be getting married the second day at noon, so like you, as long as we get there, it will be okay.

Esbie: How was your travel agent able to book a group rate at Portofinos? I have been asking them to look into this for me since June. How many people are in your party?

It was quite an ordeal! Our TA had been trying to book it for us since June 2007, when we first booked the cruise. We wanted to eat at Portofino's on our wedding night so we could have a more intimate meal with our guests (there are 20 of us). Well my TA had called month after month since 2007, and was always told it was too early to book. Well, when she called this past October, she was told that the entire restaurant was "bought out" for our wedding night, which infuriated me since we had been wanting to book it for over a year at that time and were always told it was too early. So, my TA arranged for us to have our Welcome Dinner there instead, on the very first night of the cruise. I would have preferred to eat there on the wedding night instead, but the first night will do I guess. That all was arranged in October, so maybe they don't allow group bookings ahead of time anymore, as Cattie said in her post? Although I have been assured that it is booked and arranged, I am still holding my breathe until we get on board and I can confirm it myself (which is why I hate going through a TA, because I cannot speak to RCCL personally about this). They may have truly changed their policy now, or it may be one of the instances where you just have to find the right person to talk to. I KNEW for a FACT that some previous brides were able to book for their group ahead of time, so I was prepared to put up a fight if they told me it couldn't be done!!!

I think I emailed everyone in the dining dept lol! My mom and I talked about it tonight. We're just going to get on the ship, drop everything off in a corner with my dad and brother and run to Portofino's! We're trying to do the reservations the night of our wedding also. I was just going to do a cocktail reception on the beach, but $20 pp for cocktails or $20 pp for a full dinner, I think it's a no brainer! Hopefully it won't be to hard to get it for 21 of us.

Bermuda09 - I will post as soon as I get back from our cruise! I just keep crossing my fingers and saying my prayers that the 11 year wait is well worth it and everything will be as perfect as I imagine it!

Also, for you Explorer brides, here is the website for the company that runs the spa. I haven't done it yet, however I read before how you can make your hair appt by email ahead of time so you have the time you need and want.

Here is the link that Sas80 posted a while ago. I'm going to email them now and see what I come up with!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=714698&highlight=hair

That stinks about Portofino's but I'm confident you'll be able to race there in time to make the reservations on your own...nothing like a bride on a mission:D Fortunately, my sister-in-law, who is also my MOH, is a hairstylist by profession and she'll be doing my hair, so that is one less thing to worry about!

We're getting there ladies..closer and closer every day!

Hi girls,

Your are getting so close! Congrats! I wanted to chime in and let you know that email address for the spa totally works. I was able to make an appt 2 weeks prior to sailing. They are actually very quick to respond! Good luck!

Thank you for the info on the hair appointments. What I am going to do with my hair is the one issue that I have yet to resolve.

Cattie: I am sure that you will be able to rush to Portofinos. I will be doing the same thing on July 4. Hopefully, everything will work out. I read that you have been waiting 11 years...I have been waiting 9, so I understand your frustrations.

Esbie: It stinks that you couldn't get the restaurant on your wedding night. However, at least you are still able to eat at Portofinos and you won't have to worry about booking a reservation the first second you get on the ship.

It's really great to communicate with you girls. We are all in the same boat (literally!)

That stinks about Portofino's but I'm confident you'll be able to race there in time to make the reservations on your own...nothing like a bride on a mission:D Fortunately, my sister-in-law, who is also my MOH, is a hairstylist by profession and she'll be doing my hair, so that is one less thing to worry about!

We're getting there ladies..closer and closer every day!

Oh trust me, I wont hesitate to knock down an old lady to get there!!! And I'm doing the same with my makeup. My godsons mom is going to come with me to Mac and watch this way she can replicate it for my big day!

Hi girls,

Your are getting so close! Congrats! I wanted to chime in and let you know that email address for the spa totally works. I was able to make an appt 2 weeks prior to sailing. They are actually very quick to respond! Good luck!

Andrea, I emailed them last night, haven't heard anything back today. But we shall see!! I did ask a few questions in my email !!

Thank you for the info on the hair appointments. What I am going to do with my hair is the one issue that I have yet to resolve.

Cattie: I am sure that you will be able to rush to Portofinos. I will be doing the same thing on July 4. Hopefully, everything will work out. I read that you have been waiting 11 years...I have been waiting 9, so I understand your frustrations.

Esbie: It stinks that you couldn't get the restaurant on your wedding night. However, at least you are still able to eat at Portofinos and you won't have to worry about booking a reservation the first second you get on the ship.

It's really great to communicate with you girls. We are all in the same boat (literally!)

Atleast we can all be support for each other! And yes, we've been together 11 years. The running joke is, we REALLY wanted to make sure we where right for each other =P

I was talking to the FI's BM just a little while ago. Him and his 8 year old son are going, his son is also the FI's godson. They are so excited, which made me even more excited!! I can't wait for my final fitting next week!!

Cattie-I noticed your post regarding the 8 year old. Just to give you a heads up, we have one child in our group and they would not allow him to come to Portofino's. I know that some folks have been able to bring children under 13 as long as the reservations are before 7pm, but even though we are eating at 6pm, they will not allow him to come. This caused a problem, especially since our dinner is the first night of the cruise, and before Adventure Ocean and the babysitting is available. his mother is my MOH, so I really wanted her to able to come to the dinner. As it turns out, my step-dad has volunteered to miss the dinner to babysit. My TA pleaded with them to allow him, since he is the only child in our group, it is before 7pm, and it is for a special occassion, but they refused. You may have better luck, and in fact, if I were you I would not even mention the fact that you have any kids in your group.

Cattie-I noticed your post regarding the 8 year old. Just to give you a heads up, we have one child in our group and they would not allow him to come to Portofino's. I know that some folks have been able to bring children under 13 as long as the reservations are before 7pm, but even though we are eating at 6pm, they will not allow him to come. This caused a problem, especially since our dinner is the first night of the cruise, and before Adventure Ocean and the babysitting is available. his mother is my MOH, so I really wanted her to able to come to the dinner. As it turns out, my step-dad has volunteered to miss the dinner to babysit. My TA pleaded with them to allow him, since he is the only child in our group, it is before 7pm, and it is for a special occassion, but they refused. You may have better luck, and in fact, if I were you I would not even mention the fact that you have any kids in your group.

Oh this could pose a problem! It's the FI's godson and the BM's son! I'll just not say anything when we make the reservation and hope for the best!! Maybe if they don't catch it and we show up with me in my gown they won't really say anything! Who would actually want to upset a bride on her wedding day! *bats eyes*

Make sure to bring your own hairspray and makeup. They have to use certain brands that aren't all that great.

Good to know! My hair doesn't like to stay in an updo unless its plastered there! I have alot of hair and its VERY thick so without plaster it'll be falling out before I get off the boat!

I do plan on bringing my own makeup since Explorer doesn't do it in the spa. I wonder if I should bring my own box of bobbypins and such also? Maybe I'll bring them just in case. Not like they are that expensive or something!

Oh this could pose a problem! It's the FI's godson and the BM's son! I'll just not say anything when we make the reservation and hope for the best!! Maybe if they don't catch it and we show up with me in my gown they won't really say anything! Who would actually want to upset a bride on her wedding day! *bats eyes*

Good to know! My hair doesn't like to stay in an updo unless its plastered there! I have alot of hair and its VERY thick so without plaster it'll be falling out before I get off the boat!

I do plan on bringing my own makeup since Explorer doesn't do it in the spa. I wonder if I should bring my own box of bobbypins and such also? Maybe I'll bring them just in case. Not like they are that expensive or something!

They told me they don't do makeup on Freedom but they totally do! I think it depends on the stylist on the ship at the time of your sailing. The person you email to schedule your appointment will know. They have tons of pins too, but maybe bring your own just in case.

Does anyone have any good transportation to recommend? I'll need to get something together to transport my guests from the port to the ceremony site and I'm curious what the rest of you are doing....

Do you have a wedding coordinator? Usually transportation is handled and arranged by your WC. :)

My TA has set me up with a Bermuda WC through shoretrips.com (By the way, if anyne has any input on them, I would be happy to hear it! :))

Anyway, the initial cost they gave me as a general reference was $76 per person to use town cars. That seems really high to me, so I am wondering what kind of transportation anyone else might be using. (I don't really feel like my guests need town cars, either, and I would be happy to go with taxis or a bus.) I'm sure my WC will be able to give me other options but I just thought I would try and get a head start here.

My TA has set me up with a Bermuda WC through shoretrips.com (By the way, if anyne has any input on them, I would be happy to hear it! :))

Anyway, the initial cost they gave me as a general reference was $76 per person to use town cars. That seems really high to me, so I am wondering what kind of transportation anyone else might be using. (I don't really feel like my guests need town cars, either, and I would be happy to go with taxis or a bus.) I'm sure my WC will be able to give me other options but I just thought I would try and get a head start here.

I don't know anything about shoretrips.com, but I know someone who got married in Bermuda using KreativeKoncepts and she was very pleased with them. Unfortunately hurricane Bertha caused the ship to not dock as planned, and her WC changed everything for her so she could have her wedding the following day instead. Obviously the bride was really stressed with the last minute change, but was very happy that her WC took care of everything (since the bride was already on the ship by that time and really couldn't do much!) Again, it is just another option for a Bermuda WC in case you are interested:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ladies. While browsing excursions I noticed that the times were changed....soooo I looked at my reservation and noticed that they did in fact make some changes. Nothing major, just arriving in San Juan an hour later, leaving St. Thomas 30 minutes early, arriving in Labadee an hour early but also leaving an hour early as well. Thank goodness this will not affect our wedding or anything else for that matter. Just thought I'd let you all know to check your itineraries to see if anything was changed for your cruises. Funny that neither my TA nor RCCL notified anyone to let them know..I came across it by accident, really. But, I am glad they are being a little more honest and out in the open about these changes, rather than waiting until we arrive at the cruiseport!

I'm gonna bet its cause of the propeller issue. At least now there's no worries about your wedding!! I made sure I checked out our times, everything is still the same, but we're also a lot closer!

Esbie do you have everything done? I'm so excited for you that its so close! Especially since I know once you get back I'll be on my way shortly!!

I'm finally under the 2 month mark. We've started packing my OOT bag stuff and my parent and MOH gifts, also wedding stuff. We currently have 7 carry on suit cases packed so far! I don't think I'm gonna let my guests take carry ons and make them take my stuff!!!

I'm gonna bet its cause of the propeller issue. At least now there's no worries about your wedding!! I made sure I checked out our times, everything is still the same, but we're also a lot closer!

Esbie do you have everything done? I'm so excited for you that its so close! Especially since I know once you get back I'll be on my way shortly!!

I'm finally under the 2 month mark. We've started packing my OOT bag stuff and my parent and MOH gifts, also wedding stuff. We currently have 7 carry on suit cases packed so far! I don't think I'm gonna let my guests take carry ons and make them take my stuff!!!

I actually have pretty much everything done. Since we moved we now have to fly into NJ, which limits the luggage:( But, my mom is flying out here next week and she will fly my dress back with her, get it steamed, and then drive it to NJ...that way I don't have to worry about not getting it wrinkled while I am lugging the rest of our luggage through the airport when we leave. I just have my make-up trial and that is about it!:D Five weeks from today we'll be on our way to NJ!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived