WindJammer for all meals

I'm not criticizing anyone for eating all of their meals in the WJ, it is your vacation. I'm just surprised. The WJ is my least favorite part of the ship. I try to eat most meals in the MDR or down on the Royal Promenade. I find the food in the WJ lukewarm, if not cold, and I'm just not a buffet guy. The only exception is the tacos in the afternoon; I usually sneak in and grab a few around 4PM.

But, eat anywhere. You are on vacation. Though the tipping thing, please tip your crew. They work really hard to make you happy.

You obviously have not tried the pasta bar.

I believe there are more members in the minority than one might think, but they avoid these threads because they are piled upon when they state their opinion on the tipping issue. I am often stumped to understand why people can't respect the opinions of others, even if they don't agree.

Karen

Thank you for validating with my post #94

XOXOXO

Wow! :eek: Tipping protocols certainly vary. I thank you all for your responses. Being new to this, I guess I just wanted to get this tipping thing right and over with. From what I gather from all this is, I should not feel guilty for pre-paying my tips. And this should suffice if I so choose. Right? :confused: And if I feel I have been treated more than fairly (which BTW is gonna take some doing), maybe a little extra should be in the works. :p

I just don't need any more issues on this cruise. I've had all I can take of issues. This needs to be a pleasant experience this time start to finish. We are trying to make the best of an already very bad situation. My wife and I are already bitter going into this thing. And I'm just hoping.... HOPING RCCL can change our opinions on cruising. Ya see this cruise already cost me WAAYYY more than it should have and has taken 2 unnecessary years to pull off.

Last year our anniversary was ruined at the pier. Our inexperience showed. After a 10 hour drive and 3 hours fighting customs. We were stranded in port canaveral without a cruise or a hotel. They would NOT let us on the boat because of a state issued typo. A frickin TYPO!!! :mad: Bureaucracy stood in the way of common sense and we lost our cruise and a good portion of our money in the process. And to top it off our luggage (which BTW got farther than we did) was damaged when it was returned. And all we got for our troubles was a partial coupon for of course yet another cruise! So for lack of any other options, here we go again.

That will NOT happen this year. I'm not taking ANY chances! I got enough ID to choke a horse! (Or at least that woman that screwed us last year) Passports, birth certificates (ours & our kids) ,drivers licenses, marriage certificates, SS cards, our AARP ID's, Gun permits, Our high school diplomas, An american flag, A subscription recipt for " Yes I really AM who I say I am weekly", an apple pie, 2 lawyers, & a local news crew in tow for the story line!! Go ahead... make my day... tell me AGAIN we are not legal! :D

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread...It's been a year and I guess I STILL feel the need to vent! ARRG!!! Boy! Are they gonna have a hard time pleasing us! I REALLY hope they pull it off.. Now where's that little blue pill again? hehe :rolleyes:

YUM!!...in addition to the Mongolian stir fry and the nice steaks cooked to order. Let's just keep it a secret....less crowds for those of us who just want a very casual, relaxing dinner. ;) We have often seen the captain and some of the officers also dining there.

Originally Posted by fredmdcruisers viewpost.gif

YUM!!...in addition to the Mongolian stir fry and the nice steaks cooked to order. Let's just keep it a secret....less crowds for those of us who just want a very casual, relaxing dinner. ;) We have often seen the captain and some of the officers also dining there.

I tried it the first time, just not my thing. Hey, more for you. :) But I'll wrestle you for the tacos and I call dibbs on your onion tart and cherries jubilee in the MDR.

Wow! :eek: Tipping protocols certainly vary. I thank you all for your responses. Being new to this, I guess I just wanted to get this tipping thing right and over with. From what I gather from all this is, I should not feel guilty for pre-paying my tips. And this should suffice if I so choose. Right? :confused: And if I feel I have been treated more than fairly (which BTW is gonna take some doing), maybe a little extra should be in the works. :p

I just don't need any more issues on this cruise. I've had all I can take of issues. This needs to be a pleasant experience this time start to finish. We are trying to make the best of an already very bad situation. My wife and I are already bitter going into this thing. And I'm just hoping.... HOPING RCCL can change our opinions on cruising. Ya see this cruise already cost me WAAYYY more than it should have and has taken 2 unnecessary years to pull off.

Last year our anniversary was ruined at the pier. Our inexperience showed. After a 10 hour drive and 3 hours fighting customs. We were stranded in port canaveral without a cruise or a hotel. They would NOT let us on the boat because of a state issued typo. A frickin TYPO!!! :mad: Bureaucracy stood in the way of common sense and we lost our cruise and a good portion of our money in the process. And to top it off our luggage (which BTW got farther than we did) was damaged when it was returned. And all we got for our troubles was a partial coupon for of course yet another cruise! So for lack of any other options, here we go again.

That will NOT happen this year. I'm not taking ANY chances! I got enough ID to choke a horse! (Or at least that woman that screwed us last year) Passports, birth certificates (ours & our kids) ,drivers licenses, marriage certificates, SS cards, our AARP ID's, Gun permits, Our high school diplomas, An american flag, A subscription recipt for " Yes I really AM who I say I am weekly", an apple pie, 2 lawyers, & a local news crew in tow for the story line!! Go ahead... make my day... tell me AGAIN we are not legal! :D

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread...It's been a year and I guess I STILL feel the need to vent! ARRG!!! Boy! Are they gonna have a hard time pleasing us! I REALLY hope they pull it off.. Now where's that little blue pill again? hehe :rolleyes:

I LOVE this post!! Made my evening

yes, you are fine to pre-pay your tips, then it's all done. Nothing else to worry about.

Might I suggest that you leave the gun permits and apple pie at home?

This has sort of evolved into a tipping thread. I've been on three cruises, two Atlantis on RCI and one regular RCI. On Atlantis a big difference is that all of the MDR is open seating and we prepay all tips. (Oh, another big difference is the 3400 gay men, but that is another forum). Anyway, the service was outstanding on those Atlantis cruises even though we prepay our tips. In fact I think it was even better than on the Explorer Bermuda cruise, I don't think prepaying the tips makes the crew any less friendly or helpful. At least that has not been my experience. Other cruise lines might be different.

Originally Posted by fredmdcruisers viewpost.gif

I tried it the first time, just not my thing. Hey, more for you. :) But I'll wrestle you for the tacos and I call dibbs on your onion tart and cherries jubilee in the MDR.

By my guest, although I haven't seen Cherries Jubilee on the menu for quite some time now. The Grand Marnier Soufle is my weakness. My waiter in the Windjammer got some from the dining room for me. ;)

I LOVE this post!! Made my evening

yes, you are fine to pre-pay your tips, then it's all done. Nothing else to worry about.

Might I suggest that you leave the gun permits and apple pie at home?

Glad to help! :D Crap! I almost forgot! 3 years of tax returns too! I mean.. I need to prove the government likes me too right? :rolleyes:

We were on a cruise last month and for the first time ate in the WJ every night. We were surprised -- we never missed the MDR. To us, it is LESS of a hassle in the WJ, just seems less hectic. Also, we love salads and the WJ salad bar is wonderful, much better than the salad choices in the MDR, plus we had sushi every night!!

Something else that surprised us was how many people we saw in the WJ every night. And even on formal nights people got all dressed up and went to eat in the WJ!! (Maybe it was dinner #2)

As far as tipping, we sat in the same area, or couple of areas, each night and had the same people. We chatted with them and really got to know them. On the last night we had as much cash on hand as we would have given out in the MDR and distributed it to the people who had been bringing us our drinks, and walking by trying to tempt us with trays of desserts, etc.. It was fun, and in fact really surprised some of them.

One of them also told us that being mentioned specifically by name in that survey given out at the end is a BIG deal with RCCL. It must give them some perks.

+1. I know that we are apparently in the minority on this thread. But the whole purpose of tipping is to reward good service. If I don't utilize the MDR, and I usually don't for the entire cruise, what exactly is the tip of the waiter, assistant and headwaiter for? Is it just because they are 'there?' If this is the logic, why aren't all the diners in the MDR trekking up to the Windjammer on the last night of the cruise to tip them? They were 'there.' Where does the expectation of a tip without service end here? The Spa is 'there' too and I don't automatically drop by with an envelope at the end of the cruise if I don't use it? In real terms, what is the difference? I am sure that tips make up a big part of the Spa staff's income also. If I am choosing not to use the service why should I be paying? What about Chops and Portofino? If I eat there I pay a charge that includes tip. So in theory most people here believe that if I ate at Chops for the whole cruise, thereby automatically tipping my wait staff the whole time, I am obligated to walk into the MDR on the last night of my cruise (for the one and only time) and hand out tips to people that never waited on me.

Sorry, but I think there has to be a line drawn on this somewhere. Traditionally the line is that tips are given for good service.

If the main gist of the argument that people who don't use the MDR should be tipping is that the waitstaff is poorly paid, and that seems to be the main point of previous posts, am I expected to tip out of guilt because of the wages RCCL pays? Are RCCL salaries my fault?

In practice I tend to be a very good tipper. But I don't see where I 'owe' tips for services I don't use. I know that I am in the minority on this topic, and accept that fact.

Do you release your table so someone else can have it? That's very important, IMO.

I will never do pre paid grats, old school, want to make sure the correct people get the amount I wish, and not a distributed fund. I pull the prepaid grats away, every cruise, every line. I always hand my room steward a very nice chunk, at least $80 for a week. I do not eat in the MDR if but once or twice. I will pick out a couple of fantastic assisntant waiters, that always seem to be working hard, and hand them an evelope directly. Only twice have I ever tipped the head waiter, they ussually dont deserve it.

Tips are EARNED, not just handed out. My wife was a server for years, if she does not give good servive, she did not get a tip. Same applies when I am on vacation.

Well, one major flaw in this way of thinking - where would this phantom "other couple" come from? There are only X number of people on the ship - they have all been assigned to a table. So, unless someone wants to change tables for whatever reason (thereby leaving the ORIGINAL servers tipless), there would not be someone waiting for that table.

There are sometimes waiting lists (I was on one, so I know) of people who want to change from one seating to another.

Thanks-that's good to know-BF & I will be sailing on FOS in November, and he's against dressing up on formal nights-I might get one night out of him, but we'll most likely eat dinner in the Windjammer on the second formal night. Other evenings we'll go to the MDR as long as he can just wear nice jeans or khaki's-can't seem to get him to dress up on vacation!

Can you give some examples of what they offer inthe WJ for dinner? Of course the typical buffet items, but anything that stands out? Is the sushi at Jade everynight? I coudl see us grabbing some rolls even before heading over to the MDR!

Passports, birth certificates (ours & our kids) ,drivers licenses, marriage certificates, SS cards, our AARP ID's, Gun permits, Our high school diplomas, An american flag, A subscription recipt for " Yes I really AM who I say I am weekly", an apple pie, 2 lawyers, & a local news crew in tow for the story line!! Go ahead... make my day... tell me AGAIN we are not legal! :D

Yes! A true American! :D

I don't think that you will be disappointed when you make it on the ship. Keep your sense of humor and take any bumps in stride. You obviously have a good perspective on life...that will come in handy! :p

Have fun!

Do you release your table so someone else can have it? That's very important, IMO.

To be honest, this thread was the first time I had ever heard of 'releasing' my seat in the MDR. While I am single, I travel with a group and have a seat assigned at a table with the group. I have earned the nickname of 'The Phantom of the Dining Room' among the group. ;)

On a good day you learn something, and on my upcoming cruise I will take the time to contact the MDR to release my seat.

On our last two cruises, we have dined exclusively in the buffet or specialty restaurants and have either contacted the maitre d' directly to release our seats or asked the concierge to do so. I think this is an important point (and a simple courtesy) so the waitstaff and other passengers at the table know not to expect us. Also, those seats are then available should another couple wish to change tables or their dining time.

Karen

On our last two cruises, we have dined exclusively in the buffet or specialty restaurants and have either contacted the maitre d' directly to release our seats or asked the concierge to do so. I think this is an important point (and a simple courtesy) so the waitstaff and other passengers at the table know not to expect us. Also, those seats are then available should another couple wish to change tables or their dining time.

Karen

That's fine if you have made a decision that you will not use the dining room under any circumstances. But, for us it's all about choices, and we like to keep our options open. Since we prepay our tips, we feel that we have that option. Not trying to be discourteous, just having a great cruise on a great ship that offers different options for different cruisers.

Again someone that just does not get it. If you cannot afford a few dollar tips then don't go on the cruise. He spent time trying to get around trying to tip. What kind of vacation is that? Of course what would you expect from a White Sox Fan. Ok just kidding.

I heard that :-)

I'm still here, wow I didn't realize what I started.

I like all the replies, some here some there are different. True they did clean up m table and put the silverware out. But to be honest I'd be fine having to grab my own silverware andbringing my plate to the dude washing the dishes. The eating part doesnt make the cruise for me. Its the weather, hanging at ports, chillin with my wife etc..... the food is just a means to quickly fill me up so i can get back to having fun.

No i didnt tip the WJ staff, that's not why we picked WJ, we picked it to go, eat and get out fast. Saving a couple bucks was just a bonus. Every other cruise we took we did dining and tipped the recommended amount. However all those cruises were pre having kids.

We prolly wont be doing another cruise for 10 years anyways so the point for me is moot. However i think the whole tipping thing is getting out of hand, the more everyone tips, the LESS RC has to pay the employee's and make it OUR job to pay them.

I know I know they work hard for your tips. So does the guy at the grocery store, do i tip him? He makes my life easy and I know him by name. So does the guy at Sams Club, so does this guy and that guy and this lady and that lady. When i got off at ports a man nicely took my seapass, called me by my name and said have a nice day. Does he deserve a buck too?

What about the sports staff that organize events and games and the flowrider, they really helped me, do I tip them also?

ok let me have it, i'll check back in a couple days. :-)

HILARIOUS!!!!!

Good luck this time around, man that sucks. I'm sending some good juju your way! Now stand aside while I get crushed.

I heard that :-)

I'm still here, wow I didn't realize what I started.

I like all the replies, some here some there are different. True they did clean up m table and put the silverware out. But to be honest I'd be fine having to grab my own silverware andbringing my plate to the dude washing the dishes. The eating part doesnt make the cruise for me. Its the weather, hanging at ports, chillin with my wife etc..... the food is just a means to quickly fill me up so i can get back to having fun.

No i didnt tip the WJ staff, that's not why we picked WJ, we picked it to go, eat and get out fast. Saving a couple bucks was just a bonus. Every other cruise we took we did dining and tipped the recommended amount. However all those cruises were pre having kids.

We prolly wont be doing another cruise for 10 years anyways so the point for me is moot. However i think the whole tipping thing is getting out of hand, the more everyone tips, the LESS RC has to pay the employee's and make it OUR job to pay them.

ok let me have it, i'll check back in a couple days. :-)

I respect your right to do what you feel is appropriate. Since tips are not mandatory, it is certainly your choice.

This is the reason that we tip well above and beyond. The waitstaff is tipped less than the price of a single drink per day. We budget for generous tipping and have been fortunate to receive fabulous service. However, we realize that there will be those that opt not to tip or tip less than recommended.

Since I have no control over the behavior of others, I tend not to focus on it. When I see something like this, I focus on what I can control, my own behavior.

HILARIOUS!!!!!

Now stand aside while I get crushed.

Some here can operate heavy machinery and will jump in to bail you out!!! ;)

Actually-I think we can split up and give them 2 targets in the hopes they are distracted and don't know who to get :p

I can actually see your point on one thing.

When eating in the WJ in the AM or lunch-there have been more then one time-I get my own silverware-plate-food and drink because I see the place is quite busy.[besides-I believe kitchen staff and not wait staff my put all that stuff out for you on the line :confused:] I may be off to an excusrsion or just returned and need a nap so eat and run is on the agenda. I really did not see my server and was off in a flash. Most do not tip that.

But-dinner-as I've said-was a far different experienece for me and most people know when a tip is the right thing to do.

May the force be with you!!!:D

That's fine if you have made a decision that you will not use the dining room under any circumstances. But, for us it's all about choices, and we like to keep our options open. Since we prepay our tips, we feel that we have that option. Not trying to be discourteous, just having a great cruise on a great ship that offers different options for different cruisers.

I agree with you in principle but it might be a bit of a bummer to your tablemates to have your seats empty most nights (especially if it's a smaller table). Hopefully you tell your tablemates of your variable plans so they'll go ahead and start without you if you aren't there at the the dinner hour. Some servers make the table wait until all parties are seated or it becomes obvious someone isn't coming (i.e., after a long wait).

I agree with you in principle but it might be a bit of a bummer to your tablemates to have your seats empty most nights (especially if it's a smaller table). Hopefully you tell your tablemates of your variable plans so they'll go ahead and start without you if you aren't there at the the dinner hour. Some servers make the table wait until all parties are seated or it becomes obvious someone isn't coming (i.e., after a long wait).

I really think that dining room etiquitte is very subjective. We've cruised over 15 times on Disney and RC, and we have never once had to wait more than a few minutes after being seated to interact with the waiters. If I arrive at the table and you've started your salad, I don't assume you're rude, I assume you're hungry. We really try to be polite and pleasant people, and would never dream of resenting our tablemates for making other choices than we do. In fact, when our tablemates eat elsewhere, even if they've become our new best friends :rolleyes:, we look at the table to ourselves as a luxury to be enjoyed. These are all reasons that I couldn't be happier that RC is offering MTD. I hate to be responsible for ruining someone else's cruise by simply enjoying mine. :)

Archived