Advice about camcorders...

noobcruiser

Here's the background info: we are cruising Alaska in May and realize that some of the landscape\wildlife shots may require a stronger zoom than our current canon digital camera. So, rather than invest in a new camera, simply for the zoom, I was thinking of going the camcorder route.

We have never had one before, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to make the investment.

So, has anyone used one of these newer compact digital camcorders that boast a 30x optical zoom (or higher) during their cruise?

Any positives or negatives to speak of?

If anyone has any insights, I would appreciate your viewpoints.

Thanks!

I have to admit...that I have not shopped camcorders in a couple of years...but when we did get one two years ago...we bought one of the VERY top rated!!!

It will take still pictures...and does have a pretty good zoom...but the resolution...is no where near...what our mid-priced....Canon will do. And back when I was really looking at camcorders...that was the big difference. The stills the camcorders could take were just not on the same level...any where CLOSE to the same level as what a regular digital camera could do.

Anyhow...just be sure to check info like that!

I would rather have a good still camera that shot video than visa versa. Canon has the Powershot SX1 IX that shoots HD video and 10 megapixel stills it has a 20X (28 mm-280 mm 35 mm equivalent) optical zoom too and it was just updated to shoot RAW.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=18301

I've been very happy with the video quality of my Panasonic...its a 3CCD system...which really helps the color and quality. However, again...its a video camera....I actually carry three cameras with me on a cruise....the Panasonic Camcorder, and Two Canon Digitals....one bigger than the other....the small Canon...I take with me on the islands....for excursions etc. Its really not that old of a camera...and works great...but it did actually get shut in a car door once....and its got a little damage....(but still works great)...nonetheless....if say I were to lose it....in some crazy tropical port.....well.....Oh, Well!!! But so yes, I lug around 3 cameras....and its NOT that big of a hassle...in fact, I see it as no hassle at all!

Archived