Pictures on board

madaroch

I've often wondered if anybody had ever done this or seen it done. The pictures are very often not well protected in the photo gallery. On our last cruise aboard the Noordam they stayed up the entire cruise, staffed or not, and only covered by a curtain. The curtain was actually sectioned so you could walk into the section and look around. A few times I saw people go in and look but I never saw them take anything but it certainly would have been easy to do. I'm always afraid of Big Brother and the almighty camera watching me to ever do something like that. Just wondered if everybody is an honest joe like me.

Unfortunately there are some that will take an opportunity to get something for nothing. I believe that "what comes around, goes around" and get very frustrated by people that will rationalize their actions.

I would love to say that people wouldn't steal, but alas it's not the case. People on our sailing brought gifts for other members of the cruise. Maureen (Iluvcruzin) made us refrigerator magnets shaped like ship anchors, and someone from the Cruise Addicts board (Red Stripe) made us stained glass pumpkins. I had both hanging outside our room. When we returned from shore at St. Thomas, someone had stolen them both.

Yes I hear you we had our flag stolen from outside of our room. We are proud to be Canadian and when we flew our flag outside of our room it irritating someone enough to steal it and then say we had no right to fly a foreign flag on the sticky note. We were crushed but we just hung up another one and it stayed there until the end of the cruise. We even put our flag in the window of the Veendam so when we were in port we knew which stateroom was ours from the dock.

I happen to believe that people are basically honest. Lest you think I am naive, let me tell you a bit about myself. I have been a psychologist for 20 years. I have worked in a Community Mental Health Center as well as my own private practice. I have worked with diverse populations including the elderly, drug and alcohol addicted persons, people on parole and probation as well as those with more "run of the mill" problems such as anxiety, depression, career decisions, marital issues, and a host of others. So much for my credentials.

Yes, there are those who will take advantage of a situation such as the one described by the original poster and steal the pictures. However, in my experience, most people are basically honest and will honor the system set up. I hope it stays that way. I am an optimist by nature, and I have found this pays off in my work with people.

Here is a brief story. My daughter was visiting the Grand Canyon. The storekeeper in the gift shop was blind. Patrons purchased items on the honor system. She asked him if anyone ever cheated and either took things without paying or paid less for items. He told her at the end of each day the books usually balanced. However, occasionally he ended up with more money than he ought to have had.

Linda

Archived