Partial or Full Transit Panama?

ais1951

Im looking for advice on whether its better to do a partial or full transit. The partial appear to do a round trip whereas the full transit finish at a different port. Has anyone actually done both so they could advise me? I know how knowledgable you all are on these boards so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have only done the partial transit. We were on the Brilliance of the Seas and very much enjoyed the experience of going through the Gatum Locks. We approached the locks early in the morning and after transiting the lock the ship spent a few hours on the lake before going back through the locks. Many people went on excursions but we chose to spend the day on the ship so we could experience both trips thru the locks. Photos in the link below.

It truly was amazing.

Kathy:)

We have done both the full and partial, and enjoyed each one. It would depend on where you wanted to start and where to end the cruise. Generally, the ships don't stop at any Panama ports except to pick up tour members at Cristobal at the pier (good shopping!). The full transit was better before they widened the Culebra Cut (they call it something else nowadays) so you hardly know you are going through what used to be a fairly narrow gorge. Nancy

We are doing the full transit in March and have never done the partial, so i can't give you much advice. Two things Iwouldpoint out, however.

1..Check the ports of call on both full and partial transit and see

whih appeal most to you.

2. Be aware that with full transit youmay (depending on where you live) have to buy tow one-way air tickets (more expensive).

Gale

We enjoyed our full transit last month on the Coarl Princess and frankly as interesting as the canal was it was the stops in the couutries of Central America that were the highlight of our cruise. We would have no interest in doing a partial transit and would probably opt for a Caribbean cruise instead.

We did the partial transit on HAL's Zuiderdam 1/28/09 sailing. We went thru the Gatun Locks and then took a shore excursion-- the Canal Experience-- which is a trip thru all of the locks to the Pacific -aboard a smaller ferry. We enjoyed it tremendously and it gives you a different aspect to the locks --being on a smaller vessel.

Back in 2002, we cruised roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale on the Sun Princess for 10 days. We went through the Gatun Locks, cruised around Gatun Lake, and came back through the same locks. We also took a train trip from Colon on the Caribbean side to the Pacific side, where we passed under the Bridge of the Americas and had a view of Panama City. We also visited the visitor center at Miraflores locks. We didn't have a lot of vacation time then, so we chose not to do the full transit.

We have always wanted to do a full transit. So, in April we will be doing a full transit from Fort Lauderdale to LA, for 14 days. We are looking forward to seeing the rock walls of the Gaillard/Culebra Cut, and going through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks on the Pacific side.

DavidnSteph

We did a "partial transit" last April/May on the Island Princess. However this was an unusual partial transit in that we entered from the Pacific side transited to within site of the Gatun Locks and then returned to the Pacific side (Like doing two canal transits). I personally feel that once you have the experience of going through a set of locks you can always say "been there done that". The real experience in going through the canal and understanding the history before you go. I had previously experienced the canal via the tour "Two Oceans by Railcar". That tour does not compare to an actual transit. I can't tell you how transiting by ferry compares as I have no experience.

I agree that the Gillard Cut doesn't have the same feel since it is being widened. But even watching them tear the Western hill was/is interesting. I saw the area were they were drilling to place the explosives, saw an area that had just been blown-up and still was able to see the Eastern hill, still stand (but don't know for how much longer).

If cost is not the reason for choosing between a full transit or partial transit go with the full or in our case a round trip from LA. (BTW, I believe Princess is doing a single roundtrip from LA in April of this year).

If you would like to see some of the canal construction, click on my link below.

Archived