Shrimp cocktail cut back?

Vectorboy

Actually, I think that the point of the thread is that there is an apparent decline in the cuisine as prepared and presented in the MDR. The size and quality of the Shrimp Cocktail was being used as an example. There are plenty of others from what I saw on the Constellation earlier this month.

I don't think that people are saying that the food is necessarily bad, but that it just is not up to the classic Celebrity standards that they have come to expect.

And, they are trying to find an explanation.

Of course, with the economy, the cruiselines are also experiencing more limited resources and still trying to provide a quality product. Portion sizes have been reduced somewhat and for most people it's probably a good thing because it was impossible to eat what was offered. The waste was huge before. For those who want more all they need to do is ask.

[quote name='Jillian2222']Cruise line menu's have changed a lot here is a link to a Oceania menu from 1983.

[URL]http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=537979&image=124048401&images=124048396,124048401&formats=0,0&format=0[/URL]

I collect cruise menu's from days gone by, and the foods just don't seem as exotic as from the past, or even 5 years ago.:eek:[/quote]

Oceania has only been in business for a few years, certainly not in 1983.

[quote name='Ma Bell']Oceania has only been in business for a few years, certainly not in 1983.[/QUOTE]

Correct as usual Ma. I checked the photo, and the Menu is from OCEANIC, not Oceania. Big difference. Nice Menu though :)

[quote name='Ma Bell']Is there anything truly important going on in the world.[/quote]

I suspect the newspapers or the TV news shows would have the more important events covered.

Cruise Critic is very informative, but I personally look to other places for "[I]truly important goings on.[/I]"

[quote name='Captain Cosmo']Hi Ma - As always, you appear to be upset that people are voicing concern about the downward spiral of the cruise industry, and in this case, the cost-cutting that's going on in the dining room. Would it be okay with you if these honest comments are not dismissed by comparing them to war, the economy or any other topic? Is it too hard for you to sit at your computer and not defend your beloved cruiseline? If you go to the doctor and complain about pain, should he tell you that other people have cancer so you should not complain? Of course there are important things going on, but your desire to silence anyone who dares to imply that cruising could be improved and the companies that run the ships could show more consideration for their customers seems out of place on a site where people are supposed to be expressing their opinions about what they like and what they think needs improvement. I know. You've never had a bad cruise. Good for you. But you are NOT the only person who cruises so let others have their say. You can always post later that you love Celebrity and never had a bad cruise, but its hardly a worthwhile contribution to this thread.[/quote]
You tell it like it is, Captain!!!! I couldn't have expressed it better!!!:D

[quote name='Deeliteful']I agree that this is a ridiculous thread. I was only cruising X in September and the food was excellent everywhere I ate.

You are able to get more if you ask and the quality was excellent too.

I hope the same people who are complaining are not the ones looking for an extra discount too - the prices right now are so low do you really expect to get the 5* food for 3* prices??

My upcoming TA works out at US$64 per night for a CC cabin and I know it will be fabulous!! And the food will be at least 4* - if it isn't I'll be sure to let you know but I have yet to have a bad cruise especially where food is concerned and I promise you I have eaten in some of the best restaurants worldwide!

It's cheaper than staying at home!![/quote]
No, Dear, I am NOT "one of those people looking for an extra discount." But I do expect to receive the quality that I have experienced in the recent past with X, especially when I paid top dollar for the honor.

Our 16 day Millie sailing ran us almost $9,000 for the two of us, how many stars do you think we are entitled to for spending that amount of money? And would it be expecting too much for us to have enjoyed even one dinner on that cruise as much as we did every night on the Summit?

I also have eaten in many of the best restaurants in the world, and can tell you I also enjoy McDonalds, so I am not a food snob. But on the Millie, I didn't enjoy eating first orders, let alone second orders of the slop they offered for dinner.

Furthermore, we did NOT get the big discounted rates, but we sure suffered through the diminished quality and preparation of the cuisine and the less than stellar service!!!:eek: And in view of that, YOU don't think I have a reason to complain??? It's that kind of irrational mentality that encourages greedy corporations to take more and more advantage of their customers. Maybe if I had paid the amazing discounted price you have, I wouldn't be complaining either!:D

It's Shrimp people...Shrimp! I can't believe that people are all a'twitter over shrimp. If you want more...order more.

I can see inquiring about bed comfort, and closet space...or massage services. But in grand scheme of things, this is pretty trivial, even for this board.

That was the point, wasn't it? There are plenty of threads discussing all the other things that have been brought up. Some people can't just discuss a topic without making personal attacks...I feel sorry for them.

Archived