Alaska Tendering

DonnaB

I have been 'lurking' on this site for info on my different cruises and always found my answers before jumping in and having to ask. Thanks to you all. We are presently looking at the 8/26/09 'spotlight on photography' (hope they don't switch it) Alaska cruise. First time Regent and first time Alaska.

While studying, researching, I have seen many of your pictures and it had seemed that the Mariner was docked at every port. I was looking on the 'port-of-call' board and found a thread on tendering which suggested all lines tendered in Sitka. I was hoping the Mariner was small enough to dock. I checked the cruise lines agencies of Alaska web site and it shows that the Mariner is the only ship in port that day. Make a difference?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Donna

Good question, Donna. I'm on the cruise just after yours and wondered about tendering in Sitka as well. I found the following information at: http://www.alaskaportreviews.com/Sitka.htm#Dock. It appears that most cruise ships, except the smallest, tender in Sitka. Hopefully, someone who has been on the Mariner in Sitka will chime in but I think we'll be tendering there.

Dave

I have been 'lurking' on this site for info on my different cruises and always found my answers before jumping in and having to ask. Thanks to you all. We are presently looking at the 8/26/09 'spotlight on photography' (hope they don't switch it) Alaska cruise. First time Regent and first time Alaska.

While studying, researching, I have seen many of your pictures and it had seemed that the Mariner was docked at every port. I was looking on the 'port-of-call' board and found a thread on tendering which suggested all lines tendered in Sitka. I was hoping the Mariner was small enough to dock. I checked the cruise lines agencies of Alaska web site and it shows that the Mariner is the only ship in port that day. Make a difference?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Donna

The Mariner will not beable to go to the dock. You will be tendered. I have been to Alaska a lot and never have been on a ship small enough to go to the dock. We always anchor out on the Mariner. Sorry, but lucky to be the only cruise line that day as it can get pretty crowded in town. A very lovely town and one of my favorites, you will enjoy.

I wanted to add, as well, that eventhough the Mariner will usually dock in ports like Ketchikan or Juneau, it is not guaranteed. Both times I've been to Juneau on the Mariner, we anchored. I think it has to do with how many ships are in port and that some of the mainstream lines get priority docking. Just something to think about in planning your trip....

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Archived