Anti Noroviris hand cleaners

JJPacer

Actually, there isn't a lot of GOOD information. As with most (all?) Norovirus threads, the bad information is more prevalent than good. After following link after link after link (I'm trying to be very well-versed on the topic), the only product that has PROVEN to be effective on Norovirus is Purell VF447 (now VF481). Unfortunately, it's not yet available in the US. There was a link to a UK site that sells the product. I've emailed GOJO, the maker of Purell, to see when/if the new product will be available. It's been registered with the NSF, but may not be through the FDA process.

The other products mentioned aren't effective on Norovirus. I'm discounting one claim based on a Wikipedia article that has no data to back up the claim.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link to the "good stuff." Does anyone know if this anti-viral Purell is what HAL uses onboard? We've had lots of discussion here about the dispensers, and that if they're just regular Purell then it provides no protection against Norovirus.

It is a good question. And you're absolutely right, KK. The Purell in the ship dispensers is very watery. I think someone should check and see if it is the VF481. I just looked at a bottle of Purell that I have and it doesn't have those numbers.

I bought Wet Ones the other day to keep in the car...to use on shopping cart handles, etc.

I bought Wet Ones the other day to keep in the car...to use on shopping cart handles, etc.
Our local Kroger food stores have wipes in a dispenser adjacent to the carts. I use one every time since seeing the TV report on the cultures taken from shopping cart handles! :eek:

Our whole family got Noro once and I can honestly say, once is more than enough. This is the most horrible illness I have ever had!! I have learned everything I can on the subject.

One thing we do is bring Clorox Wipes. Before we even enter the cabin with our bags we have them out. We wipe down the door handles inside and out, buttons on the phone, hardware on drawers and cabinets, safe, light switches, remote, ect. The room gets cleaned but I am sure that all of these areas are rarely cleaned. Anything that will touch our hands get wiped down before we touch. Then throughout the cruise, we continually wash our hands as soon as we enter the cabin. We have taught our kids not to touch their face or eyes AT ALL without washing hands first. We wash hands right before eating and then use Purell again at the table. We also avoid buffett lines.

This may all seem like an overreaction but if you have ever had Noro you understand. As much as I LOVE cruising, if I got Noro again it would probably be my last cruise.

Our local Kroger food stores have wipes in a dispenser adjacent to the carts. I use one every time since seeing the TV report on the cultures taken from shopping cart handles! :eek:

and ... this is a very good reason why one should avoid banisters and rails on a ship. When we first started cruising, we were counseled by a reputable Travel Clinic to put our hands behind us when going up/down stairs and walking on deck. We have learned to do this and always avoid railings. Further, the knuckle of one's finger works nicely for pushing elevator buttons as well. You most likely won't touch the knuckle to your eye or mouth - most can not say the same for their fingers.

harry

Our whole family got Noro once and I can honestly say, once is more than enough. This is the most horrible illness I have ever had!! I have learned everything I can on the subject.

One thing we do is bring Clorox Wipes. Before we even enter the cabin with our bags we have them out. We wipe down the door handles inside and out, buttons on the phone, hardware on drawers and cabinets, safe, light switches, remote, ect. The room gets cleaned but I am sure that all of these areas are rarely cleaned. Anything that will touch our hands get wiped down before we touch. Then throughout the cruise, we continually wash our hands as soon as we enter the cabin. We have taught our kids not to touch their face or eyes AT ALL without washing hands first. We wash hands right before eating and then use Purell again at the table. We also avoid buffett lines.

This may all seem like an overreaction but if you have ever had Noro you understand. As much as I LOVE cruising, if I got Noro again it would probably be my last cruise.

I do the same thing in hotels and on our cruises. DH had Spinal Menegitis, in a coma for 2 wks., hospital 2 mos. and was not expected to survive. I will do anything to prevent this again. I know it can be airborne also, but clorox wipes are always packed, lots of them. I carry the Purell individual hand sanitizing wipes in my purse. I order them by the boxes from Minimus, shipping is free with a $20. order.

I'm so sorry you experienced the Noro Virus.

Thanks for the link to the "good stuff." Does anyone know if this anti-viral Purell is what HAL uses onboard? We've had lots of discussion here about the dispensers, and that if they're just regular Purell then it provides no protection against Norovirus.

I doubt that it is. Apparently the FDA hasn't approved it for sale in the US. I wouldn't think that really stop a foreign-flagged vessel from using it. It would probably depend on how aggressive a cruise line would be. I'm considering buying the UK "cruise pak" of the VF481 Purell.

I doubt that it is. Apparently the FDA hasn't approved it for sale in the US. I wouldn't think that really stop a foreign-flagged vessel from using it. It would probably depend on how aggressive a cruise line would be. I'm considering buying the UK "cruise pak" of the VF481 Purell.

Then, it would be beneficial to order from this company in the UK...or buy Wet Ones that supposedly have the ingredient effective with norovirus.

We had Norovirus outbreak on the Zuiderdam 12/30/2005. We felt the Captain and crew went to great lenghts to thwart the spread. We were not allowed to touch as much as a salt shaker. Pens in the gift shops were wiped after each use. Not sure what product they were usung. When we returned I read the CDC report. As I recall about 110 people were affected, 80 passengers and 30 crew. I think the Zuiderdam was hit hard again with NV last November.

Then, it would be beneficial to order from this company in the UK...or buy Wet Ones that supposedly have the ingredient effective with norovirus.

The Wet Ones claim was on a personal blog and was based on a Wikipedia article that had NO documentation for the claim. There was a post on that blog from a "Dr. Annie" that said that she contacted the manufacturer and she couldn't find any report that confirmed the claim. The blogger didn't respond to that post.

The one advantage that Wet Ones (and ANY wipe) has is that it physically removes bacteria and viruses. Washing with soap and water doesn't kill Norovirus, it physically removes it from your hands. Wipes will also remove much of the microbial load from your hands.

It doesnt matter what the product is, people will still contaminate themselves...

We watched from our room on the last cruise as people lined up after their busy days in Mexico, on buses, and even on the Copper Canyon train ride, as they all lined up to get back on the ship...

Everyone used their fingers (as dirty, clean, or whatever they were), to pull out their key cards, ready for scanning.... As they approached, they came across the gel cleanser.... As they did... They got themselves prepared.... And their ship cards had to go somewhere... At least 50% put them in their mouth as they cleansed their hands...

It is no wonder that people spread these germs... In the case above, the gel could have been considered as responsible for the spread of germs...

The only way to avoid it is to wash the hands thoroughly.. It is all hand to mouth...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived