Has sloth sanctuary changed?

JillB

I just received an e-mail from Greenway Tours, who we were considering booking with for December, stating that they will no longer be going to the Sloth Sanctuary because the sloths are now caged, it has become very expensive, and the upkeep at the Sanctuary is no longer good and that the tour company in good conscience can no longer patronize the Sloth Sanctuary.

Does anyone have any information about this?

Thanks very much,

Jillb

I would also like to know about this. We have booked this excursion through the ship and and I was really looking forward to it. I can always cancel though. I don't know if I want to go if it is bad.

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Marcia

The Sloth Sanctuary is a very nice tour... it has being growing a lot these last year, it is one of the best products in the dock with Zip Linning and White Water Rafting.... the sloth sanctuary has a new building and receives around 50 to 100 persons every time there is a cruise at Puerto Limon... yes sloths are in cages... but they are needed to be in cages because they are being cured... some of them were hit by cars or were electrocuted by power lines.. Most of the 45 sloths that they have are going to be released...

The tour is mainly sold in the ship so the owners don’t take taxi drivers.... only with a pre-paid reservation... so that scares (or make mad) a few companies that sell over the internet.. I don’t think it’s an expensive place the entrance fee is $25... The only problem is that you need to fix your schedule to visit the sloth sanctuary when there is no cruise excursion...the tour only takes around 1 1/2 hours if you are with small group...

Marcia you should do the tour with the cruise company am sure you will like it a lot...

JillB you should search in google for "sloth sanctuary" and find other company that can take you...

Your Welcome :)

I just returned from Limon where I did the Sloth Sanctuary tour (I took the ship's excursion through Princess). The sloths were in enclosures/cages. I don't know how much the entry fee was, as I took the ship's tour. I didn't think it looked like it was not being kept up well-- in fact there were people doing grounds works while we were there. The sloths all seemed well care for.

We also did the sloth sanctuary recently, using the ship's (Celebrity Zenith) tour. The visit starts with a video and talk by the proprietor about the animals themselves and the work being done there, followed by a photo call with the best known resident sloth, Buttercup.

After that we had a while being paddled around some of the waterways to look at the plants and wildlife (mainly birds) which live there, then a walk through some of the forest, where we also saw sloths up in the trees.

Fruit and drinks were then offered, and three or four baby sloths brought for us to see, which were really cute. There are a few adults in cages close by.

Overall, a fascinating and informative tour if you are, like us, interested in the natural world.

Archived