Has anyone else used their Compass Reward upgrade certificates?

flashdog_1

Did you receive an email notification that they'd been received, or did you call? or did you send them certified?

I don't see anything about it on my reservation at NCL.com, nor anything about the military discount which I faxed on Monday. I mailed (regular mail) the certificates on Friday and figure they must have arrived by Tuesday, also.

When I made the reservation the first clerk said it depended on when they opened my envelope, as if it might sit on someone's desk for a long time!! That wasn't encouraging. She also said they might assign the upgrade 30 days before sailing! Hey, my sailing is over a year and a half away! I want a particular cabin (or choice of two, that is) and I am anxious! Thanks

I don't see anything about it on my reservation at NCL.com, nor anything about the military discount which I faxed on Monday. I mailed (regular mail) the certificates on Friday and figure they must have arrived by Tuesday, also.

Regarding the military discount, I emailed the form yesterday morning and received an email with my new balance yesterday afternoon. It also shows up on my ncl.com account.

It took only a couple of days for my account to be updated when I sent them my $500 certificate and my military information. I checked my account on NCL to see if the balance had been reduced. Once I noticed the reduction, I called my PCC for a new booking reservation.

Did you receive an email notification that they'd been received, or did you call? or did you send them certified?

When I made the reservation the first clerk said it depended on when they opened my envelope, as if it might sit on someone's desk for a long time!! That wasn't encouraging. She also said they might assign the upgrade 30 days before sailing! Hey, my sailing is over a year and a half away! I want a particular cabin (or choice of two, that is) and I am anxious! Thanks

I mailed them certified, so I tracked the letter. Did you book with NCL direct? If so, call your PCC. Otherwise, contact your TA for assistance. In our case, the cruise was already booked. My PCC said they would reduce the price according to how many certificates I sent. We should go from BA pricing to BC, having sent in 4 certificates.

"I mailed them certified, so I tracked the letter. Did you book with NCL direct? If so, call your PCC. Otherwise, contact your TA for assistance. In our case, the cruise was already booked. My PCC said they would reduce the price according to how many certificates I sent. We should go from BA pricing to BC, having sent in 4 certificates."

OceanDreaming,

Just wondering if I am understanding that you are talking about "upgrade certificates" for the $100? Does this mean that you can use the upgrades and get lower catagory pricing based on how many you have?

I did book directly with NCL. I was told I could not book the cabin I wanted and then when the upgrade came thru for them to lower the price! I'm nervous about this. I just called. They have received the military appreciation form so that fare is set. Now they have NOT received the upgrade certificates (or have not passed that information on to the booking #) I will call them Monday to see what's up.

I've been off CC for awhile, so I am sure I missed an extensive conversation on this, but I also have 2 upgrade certificates from the old Mastercard (so mad they didn't just transfer those to the new WorldPoints card!). What are the restrictions (since the cert. lists none) and what have people gotten?

I've been off CC for awhile, so I am sure I missed an extensive conversation on this, but I also have 2 upgrade certificates from the old Mastercard (so mad they didn't just transfer those to the new WorldPoints card!). What are the restrictions (since the cert. lists none) and what have people gotten?

The only restriction I've read about here on cruise critic is that they cannot be combined with the union discount.

Tell me this. When my 4 certificates are accepted and they assign me the 2 category upgrade, if they don't call or email me, will I see this reflected in my reservation? Thanks

It took exactly one week from the date I figured they received the 4 upgrade compass reward certificates. I got a 2 cat upgrade for 2 people = 4 certificates. I went from a BC to BA and they assigned me a good cabin (oneof the ones I'd have taken) 11612 on Dawn. I called and got it changed to the stern BA 10730!! So it does work!! Thanks for your patience in waiting to hear the result of my query. I sent the certs by regular mail so could not know precisely when they arrived, however.

The only restriction I've read about here on cruise critic is that they cannot be combined with the union discount.

Tell me this. When my 4 certificates are accepted and they assign me the 2 category upgrade, if they don't call or email me, will I see this reflected in my reservation? Thanks

Yes.. you should be able to log into NCL.com and see it updated on your cruise info. There is like a button below the initial cruise info (where it shows you have completed your online papework, made final payement.. etc) and that button should say something like "show more details". If you click that what it brings up should show your new cabin number.

My travel agent checked with NCL and was told I could use only 1 upgrade certificate per cruise. From reading the Boards it appears that he was given incorrect information. I know that you can only use the upgrade certificates in the same category but can you use more than one certificate to upgrade in the same category? I am cruising on April 11, 2009 and would like to upgrade if possible.

My travel agent checked with NCL and was told I could use only 1 upgrade certificate per cruise. From reading the Boards it appears that he was given incorrect information. I know that you can only use the upgrade certificates in the same category but can you use more than one certificate to upgrade in the same category? I am cruising on April 11, 2009 and would like to upgrade if possible.

BuckeyeTraveler, if you are on the Gem, come join our rollcall, link is in my signature!:)

I had 4 certificates. I "bought" a BC and for two people x 2 cat upgrade, used them all to get a BA (and one of those huge balcony rooms on the stern on deck 10 on Dawn).

I did check with my PCC about the rumor I'd heard here that one certificate was all you needed for your stateroom, that it was not per person. WRONG. It is per person per cat upgrade. How many certs do you have? I had a 3rd person in the cabin booked at the $99 rate and one was NOT required for her, just the full fares. Actually we were not full fare with Latitude and Military discounts.

• 1 month later...

I sent 3 of these in recently (for 2 people in a cabin) ... NCL emailed me (even though I have a TA and the TA sent them in, which I thought was odd) that "as a courtesy to us" they were upgrading us one category (within oceanview) with 2 certs and returning 1.... not sure exactly why that was a "courtesy," when it was the minimum we were entitled to... The upgrade puts us in the highest OV -- anyone had any luck getting OBC or anything else for the "odd certificate out"?

Last year when we sent in our upgrade compass rewards we had booked the room we wanted (at the advice of our TA) and sent in the reward asking to be discounted to the lower rate, which they did with no problem.

This last time, the TA advised me again to book the room I wanted and send in the certificate to request the downgrade pricing. This cruise we booked, however, was within the window where final payment was due immediately. When they received the certficate, they "upgraded" us to the next category in a cabin that was not nearly in as good a location (completely forward in the ship - we had perfect mid ship) and the TA nor NCL would budge on changing the price for us even though it was on her advice that we did the booking that way. We expected to pay $80 less for our cruise and have a better location on the ship. :(

So, if I were you - here is what I would do... If you know that you are well before final payment then you have some playing room. If you are not, book the lowest category that you are comfortable with and then figure you will be bumped up to another category where they will place you (on the upgrade). If you hate the location at least you can "refuse" the upgrade.

The other strange thing that happed to us, was when they did upgrade us, they actually increased the price and in effect they "billed" us for the upgrade and then discounted the $500 compass reward by that amount. When I first noticed this and called my TA, they said I should "sit tight" and wait a few weeks to get the difference in a check which they would eventually mail to us. I immediately called NCL and they put me on hold while they contacted the TA and came back to say my credit would appear on my AMEX within 2 to 4 business days - which it did.

I forgot to mention that I mailed my certificates 7 days prior to my final payment due date hoping they would get there in time. They did not. The upgrade certificate was applied approximately 10 days after I mailed them in and the $500 credit did not appear until almost 18 days after I mailed them in.

Archived