Trouble with the 2 for 1 booking

calliecat

Is there anything more I can do?....

When we were on our cruise in late December we booked an inside cabin and a balcony when the e-mail came out with the special 2 for 1 to Alaska. We did not put a 2nd person's name on the inside cabin at that time but asked the cruise consultant if the price would remain the same for the cabin when we were sure that my son's friend could go. He assured us that it would. Imagine our surprise when I emailed my TA to put my son's friend in the room and she told me that Princess would not honor the $475pp rate for the cabin that we got when we booked on board. She said my son was only booked at 160% of the cruise fare not 200% and that the information the cruise consultant gave us on board was wrong. We now owe approx $400 more!

I called 1-800-Princess. I tried to explain that when we booked, they told us (when we specifically asked about the price) that we would have no problem adding a 2nd person on at the $475pp price. They got so frustrated with me that I was eventually transferred to Customer Service. The young lady I spoke with in Customer service evidently thought I was an idiot and trying to pull a fast one because she finally told me that they WOULD NOT honor the 2/1 rate and that it was my word against the Cruise consultant about the price remaining the same.

So here we sit....we've already booked non-refund airfare for 4 people and we will have to eat the extra cost since it's not fair to tack it onto my son's travelling companion. Had we known that it would have been an extra $400 or so we wouldn't have been so quick to grab these cabins.

This will be our 8th cruise with Princess. I'm so disgusted with this whole thing that after this cruise, we may find another cruise line. I've written a letter to Princess corporate headquarters letting them know that we know what we were told that day. Unfortunately, the cruise consultant didn't know what was going on that day, because I had to print the e-mail and give it to him since he didn't have email capabilities at his computer and he said that Princess didn't always pass on these prices to them (HUH?)

I realize that this is only $400 but now it's become a matter of principle. I just wish we hadn't been so quick to jump on this great deal because now it isn't so great!

So sorry to hear this happened to you. :(

Not sure what can be recommended, as it is a 'he said, she said' thing. No way to prove what you were told, so not sure if you can do anything about this one. Since you have nothing in writing, just what the future cruise consultant told you.

Anyway you can cancel and rebook the cruise under the 2 for 1 rate now?

Call again and ask for a Supervisor. Reference dates of the reservation. I always try to kill them with kindness, it usually works.

Make sure you tell her you are a loyal Princess customer and really need her help!!!

Good Luck!

The math just doesn't add up. The cabin is $475pp, and you paid 1.6X that rate to book as a single. That means that to convert to a double, you should owe the remaining 40%, or $190 for the second person. Of course, you will also have to pay taxes and fees on top of that, including the $50pp Alaskan landing tax (grrrr), which should be $92 according to the Princess web site.

It still means you owe just shy of $300 to add the second person, but not $400.

Simple! Cancel and rebook the same cruise. You can always rebook untill the final payment is made. You then get the better price. I also booked onboard in October for a cruise then the rates changed so I rebooked a month before the final payment and saved $2000.00, the room and still got to keep my onboard credit and reduced deposit.

So sorry to hear this happened to you. :(

Not sure what can be recommended, as it is a 'he said, she said' thing. No way to prove what you were told, so not sure if you can do anything about this one. Since you have nothing in writing, just what the future cruise consultant told you.

Anyway you can cancel and rebook the cruise under the 2 for 1 rate now?

What happened to "customers always right" policy?

You would think, at this time with all the economy problems world wide that Princess would honor her word. Doesn't make sense, for her to cancel and rebook. Is Princess that hard up to try and squeeze an extra $400, or less out of their customers especially loyal ones? :confused:

I've heard so much misinformation from the mouths of on board "cruise consultants" that I discount everything they say.

It's fine to book with them - just don't believe the promises and get everything else in writing.

I should add that the home based Princess CCs have always been knowledgeable, helpful, straightforward wtih prices,

and extremely courteous. Much more so than any TA I've ever dealt with.

If the inside rate was 475pp and your son was paying 160% that is 475.00 x1.6=760.00 for single occ.

$760.00 + gvt fees and taxes of lets say 113.00 ( and change)

760.00+113.00=873.00 is that correct?

If you add a second passenger to the cabin it reverted back to 475.00 pp 475.00x2=950.00 +govt fees and taxes of 113.00x2=226.00 so the price of the cabin should have gone to 1176.00 ( and change) assuming no travel coverage etc..... How much higher was it than that?

If the inside rate was 475pp and your son was paying 160% that is 475.00 x1.6=760.00 for single occ.

$760.00 + gvt fees and taxes of lets say 113.00 ( and change)

760.00+113.00=873.00 is that correct?

If you add a second passenger to the cabin it reverted back to 475.00 pp 475.00x2=950.00 +govt fees and taxes of 113.00x2=226.00 so the price of the cabin should have gone to 1176.00 ( and change) assuming no travel coverage etc..... How much higher was it than that?

We booked a single cabin for $971 (don't have the exact cost in front of me). When we added the 2nd passenger, it went to $1380 for the cabin. Looking back, I'm sure the cruise consultant screwed up. He must have booked the cabin at a regular rate, not the $475 pp as the e-mail (that I still have) stated.

What really gets me is that we booked under good faith, asking the appropriate questions. We saw a price of $971 and heard that the price would not change when we added a 2nd person (adding govt fee and taxes).

If we hadn't asked about the room rates adding on another person, I wouldn't be so aggrevated.

According to your calculations, which make complete sense, we're still being overcharged $200 for adding the 2nd person. You've been able to explain it much simpler than talking to any person at Princess. I think another phone call may be in order.

I know hindsight is 20/20. I believe the OP was told they could book a 2nd person for $475. I am curious, and do not mean to imply I am second guessing the OP. I want to understand this situation, so we can all learn from it.

If the OP booked the inside and told the consultant there would be 2 people in the cabin. They gave the name of their son and joe smith. Then found joe smith couldn't go, and john doe could go. Wouldn't the cabin price remain the same $475pp? Can't the name of a px or passengers in the cabin be changed up until final payment?

Another question. With Mom and Dad being past px and eligible for the 2 for 1 rate. Would Mom have to book one cabin in her name , and Dad book the other cabin in his name? Then put son with Mom, and Joe smith with Dad on the reservation. Then once on board, get the keys changed around, so Mom & Dad are in 1 cabin, and son and Joe are in the other cabin? Just trying to get it straight in my mind. Thanks.

We booked a single cabin for $971 (don't have the exact cost in front of me). When we added the 2nd passenger, it went to $1380 for the cabin. Looking back, I'm sure the cruise consultant screwed up. He must have booked the cabin at a regular rate, not the $475 pp as the e-mail (that I still have) stated.

What really gets me is that we booked under good faith, asking the appropriate questions. We saw a price of $971 and heard that the price would not change when we added a 2nd person (adding govt fee and taxes).

If we hadn't asked about the room rates adding on another person, I wouldn't be so aggrevated.

According to your calculations, which make complete sense, we're still being overcharged $200 for adding the 2nd person. You've been able to explain it much simpler than talking to any person at Princess. I think another phone call may be in order.

sound like your per perso rate was closer to 570-575 per person, what is the date for your the sailing? The lowest rate shown on the flyer will state in ithe "fine print" the date it applies to if this is high season, it could be that the original non 2 for one price was higher so they 2 for one is also higher......if you still have the flyer look at the fine print , but call back and speak to them again...ask what the promotion code on the booking is.

I would call Princess to cancel the booking and then rebook, but the deadline for the current 2-for-1 is TODAY so you need to act fast. Like others have said, don't trust anything the shipboard cruise consultants tell you unless you get it in writing. I don't even bother talking to them, as sometimes I think I understand their product better than they do!

Good luck! :)

Maria

Archived