Review - Pacific Dawn - Part 1 it's long

Cruzer Nut

My Review, it’s going to be long (I warn you now :D) so please bear with me.

Pacific Dawn – Fiji Adventure 6 - 20 February 2009

The Ship; Well when everyone said she was big in their reviews I thought Ok she must be quite large, Well!!!!! When we arrived at Darling Harbour and we got our first look at her my reaction is that of something that can’t be written here. But in a word OMG she’s HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. :eek:

Check in - Easy and so much better set out than 2 years ago, we arrived at Darling Harbour around 10:30am and was on board by 11:15. Check in is now similar to airports. You hand over your ticket, credit card form and your declaration that you haven’t been sick with any Gastro etc for the past 48 hours they then give you your Cruise Card and a boarding number and that’s it – very painless and streamlined.

Customs - is also now set out like an airport, bags go through ex-ray and you walk through a metal detector and you walk to one of 6 or so desks where they look at your passport, scan it through their machines and wish you a good journey, as I had to claim my TRS for my Camera we took a stop at the Counter that is placed just before you go through the Tunnel to the Escalators and before you have your Photo Taken.

It was then on to have our Photo Taken and up the escalators to board, and you Ding on and that’s it you’re on holiday!!

After studying the ship’s layout for the past 12 months before we boarded it was fairly easy to find our cabin.

Cabin – It was larger than I anticipated and the only complaint I have about it is the Lamps by the bed, they are huge, bolted to the bench and in the way. I much prefer the Lights on the Wall from the Sun, I had the bed closest to the table so I was able to put the daily and my glasses etc there once finished reading for the night but Michael had the bed next to the wall and the space around the light was no more than about 7cm each side of the lamp base. It didn’t ruin the holiday just an observation. The mirror on the wall outside the Bathroom had its view was quickly blocked by an Occy Strap and one of my sarongs attached to the roof and shelf bars opposite, this enabled you to leave the bathroom and dress outside the door in privacy etc. The balcony was a good size not huge but was great to sit out on everyday and watch the world drift on by.

The rest of the ship – I found everything well set out and presented, she maybe older than most ships out there but she hides it well. As we had a very port intensive cruise (7 ports, 14 days) we really didn’t spend too much time on her. The Décor is typical with most hotel/holiday chains in that it’s gaudy but wears well, unless you are looking for a designer holiday with rooms and public spaces straight out of home beautiful etc, you tend to overlook the décor, the cabins have undergone a makeover and the Blue and White finish is more up to date and looks crisp and clean.

Services – Wonderful, Our Cabin stewardess was Lyn from Indonesia, she has 2 teenage children that her parents look after, she was well spoken, very quick and it was great to be looked after so well, I noticed that they no longer turn down your beds at night. This was something I liked but again it was not a problem just something I noticed that P&O have cut out for everyone except those in suites. They come in at night and remove the blue/grey overlay and cushion from your bed and turn on your lamps, but no longer turn the bed down. Each night I would return to the cabin to find that Lyn had left my pyjama’s in the shape of 2 butterflies near my pillow, she never touched Michael’s and we also had no towel animals, glad in a way as there really is no room to keep them out.

We ate in the Dining room on Table 12 each night, our Waiter’s were Kiki and Ande (thanks Gratz) and they surpassed themselves each night, they remembered our names, Drinks etc. I like to eat with a small fork for my main meal as I find Dinner Forks to big it’s like eating like a shovel, so after the first night I was always given a small fork, Kiki also remembered that I liked to have a Baked Potato with Sour Cream instead of the potato that was on the Menu, little things like this made our Dinner’s wonderful and personal, we had great dinner companions that we met up with most days to eat together and visit some Islands together as well and I can highly recommend eating all your meals in the dining room as you tend not to overeat, the French Toast for Breakfast is to die for, and the Lunch menu had so many yummy meals that we didn’t have enough days for us to eat them all.

Entertainment – Along with the Pacific Dawn Entertainers our guest performers were Cameo Rascale, Trevor Knight (Singer), Ivor Richards (Comedian), Mark Kristian (Entertainer), Jenifer Green (Singer) and Phoenix (Magician). Most acts catered for all ages, we enjoyed most of them but would not pay to see them on land etc. Complaint about the Entertainment was only about the Entertainers and the calibre of their productions, the Outback Country show lasted from start to finish 33 mins, this seemed a little short just when you were settling in to watch it abruptly ends the lights come on and it’s over, felt like it was a “fill in” type show while they rehearse a new one etc. When we were in Savusavu the Lead singer and second singer girls were in front of us waiting for the tenders (long wait will explain later) they chatted to us and I found out that P&O purchase the rights to a particular show and they perform them for approx 2 years before they are replaced, this group of performers have been together for 4 months.

Cruise Director – After reading differing opinions about Zoltina-J I went with an open mind determined to make my own decision about her, all I can say is that I found her extremely annoying, fake, and totally uninterested in her job. She spoke way too fast, without thought and spent more time laughing and giggling like a school girl on the morning show that we gave up watching it after the 4th day. We never saw her doing anything other than the morning show, introducing the acts in the show lounge or at functions that required the senior crew members to attend as well as the Champagne fountain and Bombe Alaska Parade. The times we did see her around the ship she was always accompanied by the assistant cruise director Caren, the times Zoltina did speak to passengers it was clear to see that it was a chore for her to do so, she seemed unable to communicate and ill at ease.

Activities – As we had a very Port Intensive cruise we decided that this time we were not going to spend our days at sea frantically going from one activity to the other, that being said however, I fell in love with Quilling (thanks MxMinx!) so much so that I bought a kit to do it at home. Most days they had trivia, painting with Pam – I didn’t do this but saw quite a few people leaving the ship with a large canvas that they had painted a picture on themselves for nothing (must remember this for next time) I did however find time to paint a T-Shirt but they are no longer doing the Ceramics at Sea as they had a problem with the Plates and Bowls cracking so I didn’t get to do that (not that we had the time). There was also dance classes, Playstation 3 Challenges, boardgames, card games some were unhosted. Karaoke in the Bengal Bar was always crowded and lots of fun, there are some very talented people out there and then again some that really bad but that’s the fun of Karaoke. The Dome, we only went up there a few nights really, just like most night clubs, the lights in the ceiling are cool and the set up is good. Never went up there during the day however just didn’t find the time.

More to come…… the Islands and those darn tender issues

I agree with you about the Country Show Fi, we were really disappointed with it when they did it on our Pacific Dawn cruise last year. On our cruise it didn't help that the sound system was playing up that night.

It's obviously one they keep in reserve for the longer cruises (ours was 16 nights) that they need more shows for.

I agree with you about the Country Show Fi, we were really disappointed with it when they did it on our Pacific Dawn cruise last year. On our cruise it didn't help that the sound system was playing up that night.

It's obviously one they keep in reserve for the longer cruises (ours was 16 nights) that they need more shows for.

Hi Kym, I am having problems with my e-mails at present.

received yours thank you.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Hi cruiser nut, so glad you had a great cruise.

plus you had my favourite dining staff...Kiki (dee), and Ande.

we had them for two cruises last year, and they were the best.

Kiki was over the moon his wife was expecting their first baby (a girl ) in December.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Hi Fi,

Thanks for the wonderful review. You can hear the excitment still in your "voice" talking about your cruise.:D

We all told you about Zoltina J....not a person you can warm to!!!:(

We too love the Pacific Dawn and cannot wait to sail on her again in May.

Looking forward to reading more.

Ps. Thanks for putting paragaphs in.... so much easier to read.

Interesting review Fi and it was nice to meet you :)

Just a few things...

Our beds were turned down each and every night and we were on Caribe Inside 4 berth. Might be more to do with the Cabin Steward perhaps?

Zoltina - I read all the reviews about her on this board and went with a "you'll not like her" attitude, but I was surprised. I found her just lovely.. yes the jokes were overused, but we stopped and spoke to her many, many times on the ship, stopped her as she was walking by, etc and she was nothing but lovely and engaging. I was surprised by her age to be honest... and I loved her outfits and her rainbow shoes LOL

I agree about the ship in general and the dining room - devine!! Miss it all soooooooooooo much!!

What I don't miss is the new pathetic special events co-ordinator / wedding renewal co-ordinator or whatever she is called... :mad:

Off to read your next review now :D

Thanks for such a great review!! I was also on the Dawn on this cruise, and I found it really interesting to read your experience. Loved all the info you gave in the other post about the ports, it gave me a better idea of what else there was to do - need to remember all of it for when my next cruise comes around :D

With the cabin, I always had my bed turned down, however I had a top bunk with only a sheet/blanket. The other two girls who were with me both had bottom bunks and theirs werent touched. I was slightly disappointed there were no towel animals, as my parents had told me about it and it was a little thing I was looking forward to, however overall didnt bother me, I was having too much fun.

I loved the shows, the only thing I found was they were too short. The starry starry night one only went for about 40 mins, maybe 45, which was a little disappointing too, but oh well.

On the Zoltina-J issue, I'd have to agree more with Mishym, as I found her to be great. I saw her around on the ship a few times and chatted to her, she was always friendly and was happy to chat. Overall, I thought all the staff were great, and my cabin steward (his name was Akmad) was fantastic as well.

But thanks again for your review, I enjoyed reading it! I wished I had been a member of this site before I cruised (only found it when I got home), would have been nice to chat to people beforehand then meet up but oh well, I'll just have to go on another cruise :)

Great Review Cruzernut. Just makes me miss the Pac Dawn more.

I had the same reaction at ths first sight of the great "lady' at Wharf 8 which i mouthed behine my hand.

Like Mishym and Bellyrox i found Zoltina pretty good. I think it is probably a case of you like her or you don't.

Am off to read part 2:)

Archived