Anyone do Alaskan cruise without a balcony?

toledo

Are there any decent areas on the Spirit where you can view the scenery or do we have to get balcony cabins? We had balconies on our last Caribbean cruise and never used them. I guess we like being around other people.

Unless you have an aft balcony you can only see the scenery from the port or starboard side of the ship, from your balcony. If you go up to the open decks, you can listen for The Naturalist to tell you about any animal sightings.

Just think about the open decks when you were on those Caribbean cruises and you looked out at the sea, its the same for Alaskan cruises, except there are glaciers, wildlife...etc to see.

If you go to youtube or webshots you can get an idea of the view. Plug in Alaskan cruise. There are 100's of videos and 1000's of pics.

Are there any decent areas on the Spirit where you can view the scenery or do we have to get balcony cabins? We had balconies on our last Caribbean cruise and never used them. I guess we like being around other people.

Sure there are lots of places on the Spirit where you can view the scenery...And the prices on an inside cabin are pretty awesome right now..:)

As for myself I couldnt imagine doing that cruise without a balcony...We were on ours all the time even when we were in port..

Kelly

I've cruised in everything from insides to portholes to balconies...and the ONLY itinerary I would absolutely insist on a balcony is Alaska. Sure, there are plenty of places up on deck to view wildlife/scenery, but there's nothing like viewing it from your own balcony right when you wake up in the morning, etc. Also, maybe it was just our sailing, but a lot of folks with balconies on our side of the ship in Alaska were constantly on the lookout for whales, and every once in awhile, someone would yell, "WHALE!", from their balcony and we could rush out to look quickly so we wouldn't miss it.

(While I realize now that sounds pretty annoying, it actually wasn't. It was great to be able to just step outside to see it, instead of having to rush up on deck.)

My Alaskan cruise last year was on NCL, so I can't comment on your ship, but we were in an inside cabin, and don't feel we missed a thing! We saw plenty of whales right off the side of the ship. I guess it depends on what kind of cruiser you are. We, the DH, DS and myself, are rarely in our cabin. However, having said that, I'm going to be cruising in April in the Eastern Carribean on the Triumph, and will be experiencing a balcony cabin for the 1st time (my SIL sprang for it as this is her 1st cruise). I may feel different about cabins after this trip. I know one thing, money is always the 1st priority with us, so if I couldn't afford a balcony, I would still cruise anytime, anywhere!:D Alaska was awesome!!!! Balcony or not!!!!:D

Haven't been on the Spirit but we have been in an OV and a balcony for Alaska.

The OV was on the HAL Volendam. We had a blast people watching and scenery watching. The balcony was an SA suite on the HAL Westerdam, truly a phenomenal experience. Went with friends (their first cruise), while we liked the balcony, I didn't like the isolation of the balcony.

I think I felt that I paid good money for this balcony, I was going to use it, but I didn't get to meet other people. Just a different kind of cruise. For us meeting people is part of the cruise experience.

IMO, if I could get a good location for the OV I would, if not, then a balcony.

Ok lets see if I can make some sense of this…

We booked an inside cabin on the Spirit - Verandah deck, forward section - for several reasons. The first and most obvious - price. Even at the reduced prices, $800 bucks is a lot. Man, I can drink a lot of Alaska beer for * OUCH * I just got hit with a shoe! :eek: Uuuh, the wife and I can afford to shop a tad more or even take an added excursion or two. :o The other reason is that it will force me to get up, get dressed , get some coffee and get up topside! Otherwise me and the OL will be sitting on that balcony half the day . . . :rolleyes:

Seriously we did put some thought and discussion into the decision to book an inside cabin. I’m sure after our cruise we will have seen and done just as much or more from our inside cabin as we would have from a balcony. ;)

We did Carnival Spirit northbound last August. I went with the "you absolutley must have a balcony on an Alaskan cruise" suggestions. You know what? I hardly used the balcony. Sure it was great having a balcony, but my favourite times were when we were out on deck, listening to Michelle(?), the Naturalist with camera or binocular in hand walking accross and around the ship to see everything she was describing. The persective is much better out on deck, rather than on your balcony.

If I did the cruise again, I'd save the money and go inside, or OV if the price was ok. You need to save money so you can spend it on the fabulous excursions in Alaska!

Whatever your decision, you'll love Alaska, and you'll love Carnival Spirit. She is a fantastic ship with a great crew.

We have sailed to Alaska twice, both times in an OV cabin. We are balcony snobs but for Alaska, I would go in an OV again. We really enjoyed the naturalists onboard and I know if I had a balcony, I would have stayed right there and missed everything that was being said topside.

I've never sailed Alaska and what has deterred me mostly is the notion of having to wear a sweater or light jacket whenever upon deck. Is this a fair assertion or does it get fairly warm and these are not needed for the most part?

The weather is unpredictable, at some point you will probably have to put on layers of clothing. Alaska isnt for everyone.

We had an inside cabin for our Alaska Cruise and I enjoyed being out on the deck with other folks and getting to know them and you can get so many different views by moving around on the deck. So to save big money it is okay not to have a balcony. I would have probably stayed there and missed alot by not being out with the other folks on the cruise.

We actually had two wrap around balconies for our Spirit alaska cruise and still spent most of the time on deck or watching from the promenade windows (early may was pretty cold). When we were in glacier bay the ship pulled up staright across from the glaciers so the balconies in the back were pretty useless. One was on the wrong side of the ship and the other only had a small area on the side. We watched from the aft right outside camp carnival. I had an inside and didn't feel at all deprived by not having a balcony. My brother on the other hand loved his balcony but he is a balcony snob through and through. Alaska is a Very Expensive trip and it seems to keep getting more expensive after you book the reasonably price cruise. So if having an inside will allow you to do more in Alaska I say go for the inside. Cindy

Thanks, everyone. The reason I asked this question was because one reviewer said the Spirit was poorly laid out, with poor common areas for viewing. I love the idea of being out on deck with the naturalist. I just hope there won't be so many people out there, that it will be impossible to hear what he/she is saying.

Thanks, everyone. The reason I asked this question was because one reviewer said the Spirit was poorly laid out, with poor common areas for viewing. I love the idea of being out on deck with the naturalist. I just hope there won't be so many people out there, that it will be impossible to hear what he/she is saying.

The announcements by the naturalist will be made over the PA system. You shouldnt have a problem seeing things.

The reviewer is right, the Spirit is poorly laid out for viewing. I love the Spirit, have sailed on her three times to the Mexican R. always with a balcony. For Alaska outer deck viewing one wants to be forward and have access to both port and starboard. To get from one side to the other on the the "promenade" of the Spirit you have to cross by going through the inside. The deck is not continous up front. On the upper decks there is only one place that you can easily cross back and forth and get a good view without having to look through grimy plexiglass and it gets crowded. And the BIGGEST gripe I have about the Spirit is that it does not have a Crows nest ala Holland America up front. That spot is taken up by the excersize room.

For Alaska I prefer HAL ships. I like to book an outside room on the promenade deck, even if it is obstructed. It is always easy to go from the room to the outside and the view from there is great and when it gets too cold, run back in the room for some toddy. Also the music and service in the Crows Nest is always great and what a great place to relax and view the ocean. The Princess ships also have a great lounge up top to view the ocean but they are aft.

If you are ever going to have a balcony, do it for an Alakan cruise. Just try to get on the correct side of the ship (so you will beviewing the land side as much as possible. There will still be times you want to be on deck, but you will truly enjoy a blacony.

Gale

If money is not an issue go with the balcony.

We had to choose an inside and we were not disappointed. Most days we were of the ship anyway. And it does force you to get out of your room. The excursions are so pricey in Alaska that saving on the room helps.

Plus if you weather is cold you may not get to sit on the balcony.

Have a great cruise, we did.

Oh, if you can afford a balcony, go with it! We just loved our two trips to Alaska on HAL with our balcony. Its wonderful for having coffee and even breakfast outdoors in the morning, watching the magnificent scenery glide by. Dear SIL and I spent both our sea days glued to our binoculars sitting on the balcony, bundled up with hot chocolate in had, watching for spouts and tails - saw lots of whales that way. Granted, they were off in the distance, but didn't matter, it was exciting each and every time! We did spend a lot of time out on deck on glacier day or sometimes coming into port, but having the balcony was a luxury I wouldn't miss if I didn't have to. We even had dinner out there one evening while leaving Juneau - stunning!!! There are pros and cons, certainly with $$$$ being the highest priority for everyone. But with the deals out there right now on Carnival, it would almost be shame NOT to get a balcony if you can swing it. Either way, you will LOVE Alaska, and I guarantee - you'll go back!;)

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, if you can afford a balcony, go with it! We just loved our two trips to Alaska on HAL with our balcony. Its wonderful for having coffee and even breakfast outdoors in the morning, watching the magnificent scenery glide by. Dear SIL and I spent both our sea days glued to our binoculars sitting on the balcony, bundled up with hot chocolate in had, watching for spouts and tails - saw lots of whales that way. Granted, they were off in the distance, but didn't matter, it was exciting each and every time! We did spend a lot of time out on deck on glacier day or sometimes coming into port, but having the balcony was a luxury I wouldn't miss if I didn't have to. We even had dinner out there one evening while leaving Juneau - stunning!!! There are pros and cons, certainly with $$$$ being the highest priority for everyone. But with the deals out there right now on Carnival, it would almost be shame NOT to get a balcony if you can swing it. Either way, you will LOVE Alaska, and I guarantee - you'll go back!;)

very tempting.. less than 3 months from now.:D

I can't imagine anyone saying the Spirit is laid out poorly. I love the ship and think it is the best layout. Deck 3 has an outdoor area the entire length of the ship port & starboard if you prefer to be outside or of course the lido deck has all the pool areas and lots of places to be "outside." If you want to be warm & cozy, the best place to be is the jungle room deck 3 forward. Windows that you can sit in. Peaceful and quiet and would be the perfect spot to view cuz you can quickly get over to the other side cuz it wraps the bow of the ship. Great spot in my opinion and surely where I'll be if I ever book an Alaskan cruise on the Spirit and get an inside cabin. Also on deck 2 near the atrium is lots of picture windows and sofa's for viewing and a bar right there. What could be better?

Now I've had a balcony on the Spirit and would do it again if I could. I've also had an obstructed ocean view. I've had an inside on NCL. I like them all and it all comes down to price. Is the balcony really worth the extra money? I think I would opt for excursions over viewing but depends on the price I guess. I'm dreaming of my next cruise which will probably be another 2 or 3 years to Alaska.

We cruised to Alaska last May on the Star Princess in an OV cabin. While we almost always cruise with a balcony elsewhere, we never missed it in Alaska. Sea days were quite chilly and we enjoyed the public areas for viewing the scenery. If we ever go again, we will probably choose an inside cabin because there are so few hours of darkness, we found it somewhat difficult to sleep. We are used to being out and about when the sun is shining, lol.

Archived