Rum Cake Question

Chell-y-Bell

Where do people go to sample both Blackbeards and Tortuga? I've heard a lot of people talking about how they liked one more than the other. Is there somewhere on Grand Cayman you can go to sample everything? The cakes and the rum?

You can sample Blackbeard's next to Margaritaville in Cayman. Sometimes, there are Tortuga samples right on the ship.

I personally prefer Blackbeard's ...

Joanne

When you get off at the dock, head to your right. Go about two blocks on that same main street and look across the street. You will see the Tortuga store there. The last time we were there they had about 10-15 different samples to taste.

Visit the Tortuga Rum plant if possible - they have free sample cups of ALL their various rums, plus plenty of free rumcakes. I found that I LOVE the Tortuga Rum Licquor, as do all my friends I treat to a taste. I bring back at least one bottle every trip to GC, this coming cruise will be no different.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a duty free liquor store right at the port when you get off. You can sample Tortuga cakes there and buy them. You can also go 2 blocks to Blackbeards. We got a super deal at the liquor store near margarittaville. For every $20 you spend on liquor you get a free large rum cake which is a $20 value. We bought 3 bottles of rum and 1 bottle of Kahluha for $40 and change and got 2 free large rum cakes.

The rum cake factory (Tortuga) is at the other end of the island. It was a stop on a $20 per person tour we took of the island. (The tour stops at the Govenors mansion, Hell, the Turtle Farm, The Rum Cake Factor and 7 mile beach. You can be left at the beach or taken back to the pier. We opted to be left at the beach. Plenty of cabs back to the pier for $5 per person)

At the Rum Cake Factory (which is TINY) you can sample the cakes and the rum. I had my heart set on going there but after being there I realized that you can sample and buy everything at the stores in town. i would have been dissapointed if we spent the $ to take a cab there. We were there for 5 minutes and mission was accomplished. The store is no more than about 400 square feet.

Just got back from Grand cayman and decided on the Blackbeards this time - YUM!! You can sample every flavor (right next to Margaritaville) and you buy 6 small ones for $30 and get a large one free ($20) - not a bad deal and they make great presents! :) have a great time!

Plenty of samples at any of the stores, Black beards or Tortuga. The problem is the cruise tour buses. When they stop at a store, people push and shuve to get a sample. Store employees are handing them out but you see people ignoring them and grabbing handfuls and dropping cake on the floor. Kinda disgusting! You'd thought the ship didn't serve any food and told everyone to go to the rum cake store if they wanted to eat. While the cake is good, it's not worth getting into a food fight for a sample piece. IMO, its your call to buy there or buy on the ship. Same stuff. Keeps forever.

Archived