Dog sleding without flights?

dclcruiser71

I am going to be in Alaska in June. We want to see the sled dogs without going on a flight, we are cruising and I am traveling with people that do not like to fly. We are on Holland America's Zaandam and I see a shore excurision in Juneau that does not include a flight. Does anyone know where this is or the company name? I always like to compare my own prices to the cruise lines excurisions. Also we may not all want to actually ride, maybe just the 9 year old. Does anyone have any help they can offer? Other ports we will be at will be Sitka(most of that is taken up with Capt Davey but we can swing it if possible), and victoria, Ketchikan. Thanks for any help.

Aimee

In the past, this particular tour out of Juneau has been ship contracted. It is an organized talk about the dogs, a cart ride and "dog" time. In my opinion, with these tours running in the usual range of $100++ they are costly for what you get. Problem is, you aren't going to any other ports where this is available. Skagway has two options, otherwise.

Do some research for current information http://www.traveljuneau.com

Budget Queen: Thank you so much, I couldnt find anything about dog sleding on that site, but I will keep looking. Our biggest issue is that the 9 year old we are traveling with really really wants to do this tour but not all of us care to do it. I guess we need to figure out how to do it so that she can do it and we can all go with her? I am waiting for everyones passports to come in so I can get to the part where I can book shore excurisions.

In the past, this particular tour out of Juneau has been ship contracted. It is an organized talk about the dogs, a cart ride and "dog" time. In my opinion, with these tours running in the usual range of $100++ they are costly for what you get. Problem is, you aren't going to any other ports where this is available. Skagway has two options, otherwise.

Do some research for current information www.traveljuneau.com

Budget Queen: Thank you so much, I couldnt find anything about dog sleding on that site, but I will keep looking. Our biggest issue is that the 9 year old we are traveling with really really wants to do this tour but not all of us care to do it. I guess we need to figure out how to do it so that she can do it and we can all go with her? I am waiting for everyones passports to come in so I can get to the part where I can book shore excurisions.

Split up. There isn't going to be any other option with this particular tour, it will be "full price" for everyone who goes.

I can see NO reason to drag along people with no interest to this tour, just because a 9 year old wants to go. Have the 9 year old go with her mother/father, and everyone else do what they want.

Budget Queen - what are the two options in other ports?

In Skagway- I reference two options here without a flight. The Skagway cart ride which is usually ship contracted, costly, in my opinion. And the ability to combine a car rental driving the Klondike Highway with a stop at Caribou crossing. Can do this for a lot less compared to the Skagway cart ride tour would be for a family.

I am interested in comments on the above but, primarily concerned about insurance for such activity. Should I be insured by my travel insurance or is there a charge to cover this when booking the activity? Pasha

While I totally agree with you, we do not have that option really. I am traveling with my niece and her parents are not coming along. I want to be able to take photographs of her enjoying this experience since its one of the big things she wants to do. I have thought about just the two of us trying to do a helicopter one, but they are so much money and I am overweight, weight watchers is working for me but not sure i will be at their weight limits yet:) I am still working out a way for us to let her experience this, and it maybe that we all do it or that I do it with her, etc. I just wish there were some other options for non-flight ones. I really appreciate any feedback that I get here. Thanks Queen...you have a lot of great information!

Anything you can tell me about Capt Davey's four hour tour?

Aimee

Split up. There isn't going to be any other option with this particular tour, it will be "full price" for everyone who goes.

I can see NO reason to drag along people with no interest to this tour, just because a 9 year old wants to go. Have the 9 year old go with her mother/father, and everyone else do what they want.

In Skagway- I reference two options here without a flight. The Skagway cart ride which is usually ship contracted, costly, in my opinion. And the ability to combine a car rental driving the Klondike Highway with a stop at Caribou crossing. Can do this for a lot less compared to the Skagway cart ride tour would be for a family.

Can you expand on the independent car rental option out of Skagway? Is the dogsledding cart based or on sleds?

Whats the best car rental option in Skagway? Avis?

Also, do you have a link to the tour operator for Cairbou Crossing, or a link to an independent Yukon driving tour?

Can you expand on the independent car rental option out of Skagway? Is the dogsledding cart based or on sleds?

Also, do you have a link to the tour operator for Cairbou Crossing, or a link to an independent Yukon driving tour?

The "dogsledding" is with a cart - http://www.yukonhuskies.com/kennel_tours.html

Most CC people seem to rent from Avis but I haven't seen any complaints about the independent in the year I've been watching posts here.

The independent Yukon driving tour that everyone seems to give thumbs up to is Murrays Guide which we'll be getting for our June cruise (just Google it).

Both TEACO and TEMSCO offer dog sledding without the helicopter ride. I have checked with Chilkoot and these two and it appears that the prices independently are quite close to the ship's price. If this is the case, I like to see my credit appearing "back to my charge card" before I even leave the ship in the event of a cancellation due to weather, etc.

Both TEACO and TEMSCO offer dog sledding without the helicopter ride. I have checked with Chilkoot and these two and it appears that the prices independently are quite close to the ship's price. If this is the case, I like to see my credit appearing "back to my charge card" before I even leave the ship in the event of a cancellation due to weather, etc.

TEMSO is a helicopter company. IF they are offering a cart ride, they will be acting only as a booking agent and not running the tour??

It is a cart ride, about 75 miles from Skagway. It's a spectacular drive, necessary is to purchase Murrays guide greatly enhances the trip with all the detail. I ONLY rent from Avis, I have not had good experiences (yes more than one) with the independent and will never use them again. http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

The "dogsledding" is with a cart - http://www.yukonhuskies.com/kennel_tours.html

Most CC people seem to rent from Avis but I haven't seen any complaints about the independent in the year I've been watching posts here.

The independent Yukon driving tour that everyone seems to give thumbs up to is Murrays Guide which we'll be getting for our June cruise (just Google it).

Thanks, I found it earlier when I did a google search for Driving the Klondike Trail.

We did a Four Glacier Helicopter & dog sledding excursion on Norris Glacier in Juneau 2 years ago. It was a great excursion, and our 13yo absolutely loved the dogs! Thought it'd be nice to get him near some sled dogs again, but not at the $489pp cost we paid 2 years ago!

I went ahead and reserved a car with Avis, are they ok with crossing into Canada? According to the wesbite, it's ~$40 a person for the cart ride witht he dogs at Caribou Crossing. Add in the cost of the car rental, divide by 4 and it comes out way cheaper than doing it on the ship, plus we get to explore the Yukon a bit on our own, which will be nice!

I went ahead and reserved a car with Avis, are they ok with crossing into Canada? According to the wesbite, it's ~$40 a person for the cart ride witht he dogs at Caribou Crossing. Add in the cost of the car rental, divide by 4 and it comes out way cheaper than doing it on the ship, plus we get to explore the Yukon a bit on our own, which will be nice!

Yes, as a US citizen you are free to drive to Ca from Skagway. Your last comment is my point on this great day touring visit with sled dogs a priority. :) Be sure to get Murrays guide. Have a great time!

Archived