La Romana excursions

There seems to be mixed opinions about La Romana. Some people have not felt safe while others have said it is perfectly fine. I see there seems to be very few excursions for this port. Someone has said they paid 8$ p.p. for a party of 6 to take a taxi to Altos De Chavon and then on to La Romana town. What price does the ship charge for this trip? Any details on this port would be very much appreciated.:)

Hi there,

We did the Altos de Chavon trip on the middle day of our b2b. It was £32 p.p. which for a 3.5 hour trip is quite a lot compared with the taxi fares if that's what you could reasonably expect to pay - especially if that was the return fare!

However, the trip did include about a 45 minute trip on the river on a Mississippi style paddle boat where the rum (or beer) flowed very freely. There didn't seem to be a limit and our table companions told us of some people who'd had at least 5 (strong) rum and cokes! I suppose that might be something to take into account! Also, I believe there is an admission charge into Altos de Chavon which of course was included in the trip price. We enjoyed it and as we didn't think there was anything else much to do on that day, we felt happy with our choice of excursion.

We also walked into La Romana which I would say was interesting in the sense of seeing something of others' culture and life - but I wouldn't say that it would have rated as a memorable destination if that's all we'd done at this port! There's hardly enough for an hour's visit (plus walk from berth) and is not a very attractive place with very little in the way of shops/cafes for tourists. (Which is not a criticism, but is something to consider if you were going hoping to find something of that nature and intending to spend a half-day there.)

If you have a look at my thread on La Romana taxis, you'll see that there could be a beach option which I think I'd explore another time if we did this cruise again. Anyway, let us know what you decided to do - especially if it's something a bit different. I'm gathering intelligence for the future!!!!! :) And enjoy your trip!!

Archived