All about kayaking! But where?

Seashell86

My husband and I really enjoy kayaking, and want to do some on our trip this summer. However, every place seems to offer it! I've narrowed it down to the following:

- Juneau- looks like we can rent kayaks and go on our own to Mendenhall Lake, to get up close to the glacier and the falls. Anyone done this? Is it worth it? I would love to be close to the glacier, and didn't know if kayaking would be better than going to the visitor's center and hiking.

-Sitka- It just sounds like there is more wildlife around in Sitka, so I thought taking a tour here would be good to see wildlife.

- Ketchikan- seems like a popular place to kayak

-Seward- Also seems like a popular place to kayak. However, the price to go to the glaciers seem really pricy, and I didn't know if doing a day-trip around Resurrection Bay would be worthwhile. We also want to do Exit Glacier and a Kenai Nat'l Park cruise in Seward.

Too many choices! I'm really interested to hear if anyone kayaked in Sitka or at Mendenhall lake, since there seems to be less info about those trips.

Thanks!

Sorry, but you have a skewed reference for kayaking Mendenhall Lake, you are NOT going to get anywhere near the glacier or water fall. Very dangerous. I would also assume with your kayaking experience this is going to be a very tame choice. Juneau has some good kayaking near the Channel Islands. Ketchikan is where I have kayaked the most, extremely scenic, don't expect any wildlife, go for longer tours, so to get away from the crowds. Out of Seward, the glacier kayaking trips are raved about and I definately would not take the bay over them despite the price.

The kayaking I saw for Mendenhall Lake is here: http://www.juneaukayak.com/mendenhalllake.html

I know I wouldn't be kayaking right next to the glacier but it looks like you can still get a better view from the lake, and there appears to be a shore near Nugget Falls. Can you get to nugget falls by hiking? I would think that renting kayaks we would take a similar trip as the ship-excursion canoe trip, anyone do that?

As for Ketchikan, I have read that the Southeast Kayaks is highly regarded.

Not sure about Icy Strait- not going there so I haven't done any research about it (sorry, maybe someone else will chime in)

Anyone kayak in Sitka?

We'd like to kayak in Ketchikan. I am hoping that someone else has done this and has had a good experience with a company.

I have a reservation in Ketchikan booked with Southeast sea kayaks and used the buy one get one free coupon in the Northern lights coupon book.

Looks like on NCL the ship excursion kayak trips are through South East Exposure - they offer a Eagle Island tour and a Tatoosh Islands tour.

Does anyone know how the scenery of those tours compares to the South East Sea Kayaks - Orca's Cove Kayak tour and Ketchikan Kayaking tour?

The kayaking I saw for Mendenhall Lake is here: http://www.juneaukayak.com/mendenhalllake.html

I know I wouldn't be kayaking right next to the glacier but it looks like you can still get a better view from the lake, and there appears to be a shore near Nugget Falls. Can you get to nugget falls by hiking? I would think that renting kayaks we would take a similar trip as the ship-excursion canoe trip, anyone do that?

We chose this kayak trip, but won't be doing it until May. We liked it because its the only option we found that will allow us in singles. Love my husband dearly, but put us together in a boat and bad things happen. The only time (as an adult) I have been paddling and ended up in the water was when we were sharing a boat ;) Of course, that excludes classes where we were practicing wet exits. That said, they steer you to doubles, because they are less likely to tip. However, if you are use to kayaking the bay (given your location is MD), and know the that initial stability is negatively correlated to secondary stability, you should be fine in a single.

BTW, did you see this thread about this paddle?

Anyone kayak in Icy Strait? Sounds like there's much more to see in Juneau (for us) so we were thinking of Icy Straight to kayak.

Thanks

Jodi

I don't recommend kayaking in ISP. Whale watching here is so good, it's hard to pass up. There is excellent kayaking in the area, but the cruise ship excursion keeps you right in the immediate harbor - nothing too adventurous, scenic or interesting.

My family rented kayaks in Sitka Sound in early August, 2008; and my kids are still talking about how much they enjoyed it. The company we used for our kayak rental was:

http://www.ssoceanadventures.com/

They put the tandem kayaks in the water, handed us a map, pointed out a few interesting areas, and then sent us on our way. This was perfect for us, since I don't like being herded around like sheep.

We stayed fairly close to shore; so the water was very calm, and crystal clear. And we could see crabs crawling around on the bottom for much of the trip. In the deeper areas, we could still see the bright orange jellyfish several feet below the surface. And every few seconds a salmon would jump out of the water somewhere around our boat.

We chased the running salmon up a small stream. And when the stream got too shallow for them to pass, hundreds of them jumped all around us until they could get turned around and go back downstream to the deeper water. The whole stream was just alive with salmon! And it was especially magical to be right in the middle of the run.

Then we paddled right up to some trees where nesting bald eagles at the top were screaming at each other. The feeling of being that close to wild bald eagles was just indescribable.

We wore fleece and rain gear; so we were not bothered by the mist and drizzling rain. And at times, it cleared up enough that we could see Mount Sitka in the distance. But I would imagine that a constant heavy downpour or a stiff wind would take a lot of the fun out of it.

We are not experienced kayakers; so paddling was a pretty good workout for us (though not exhausting). But it was also very relaxing and quiet, because we took our time and went at our own pace. The combination of wildlife and serenity was exactly what I was seeking in Alaska, so I highly recommend kayaking in Sitka sound!

Archived