Transatlantic Help

alibru

Hi All,

We are booked on the Sydney to Southampton segment of the 2010 QV World Cruise. After that we will be spending 4 months in the UK and Continental Europe. To get home to Australia we are now thinking about continuing westbound with a transatlantic crossing (that way we would get to travel on both QV and QM2), then travelling across Canada.

I have a couple of questions. All the information on this forum would indicate that hull balconies are "better" than glass balconies for a TA crossing. We are booked in an A2 cabin on QV.

Is there much difference in size between "A" cabins and "B" cabins? (I am assuming that all "B" cabins are hull balconies)?

Alternatively, what are the real benefits of "AA" Britania Club?

Cheers & thanks in advance

Ali

I have a couple of questions. All the information on this forum would indicate that hull balconies are "better" than glass balconies for a TA crossing. We are booked in an A2 cabin on QV.

Is there much difference in size between "A" cabins and "B" cabins? (I am assuming that all "B" cabins are hull balconies)?

Alternatively, what are the real benefits of "AA" Britania Club?

Acording to the Cunard website, A cabins are 248 sq ft and B cabins are 269 sq ft. B5 and B6 cabins are on deck 8 and are glass fronted but have an obstructed view because of the lifeboats.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/OurShips/default.asp?Ship=QM2&main=acc&sub=sta

The extras you get with AA britannia Club are full bottle of sparkling wine, single seating dining in the Britannia Club part of the restaurant, pillow concierge menu.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/OurShips/default.asp?Ship=QM2&main=acc&sub=bri

We were upgraded to one of these cabins last year and personally I don't think it's worth paying the extra. We didn't get the pillow menu and we prefer being in the main part of the restaurant.

Acording to the Cunard website, A cabins are 248 sq ft and B cabins are 269 sq ft. B5 and B6 cabins are on deck 8 and are glass fronted but have an obstructed view because of the lifeboats.

I think these measurements include the balcony - aren't the cabins the same size, but the B cabin balconies larger?

Mary

Thanks for your help. I suspected that the extra area would be balcony space rather than cabin space.

One more question, is it the strcture of the balcony being steel & the proximity to the water that provides the shelter. The reason I am asking is I am tossing up between a B1 or B2 cabin on deck 6 versus an A3 on deck 8.

We are both good sailors so the rocking & rolling would not be an issue. Its just nice to sit on the balcony if you can.

Once again thanks for your help.

Cheers

Ali

Ali, the hole in the "in hull cabin" is not the full size that is available but is about 5 feet by 6 feet, whereas the glass balcony has much more gap above it, about 8 feet by 10 feet. Not the most scientific explanation I am afraid. Smaller hole equals less wind.

Hi Ali

We had an A3 cabin on deck 8 for both TAs on QM2 - and liked it so much we've booked one for 2010. We looked at all the cabins and decided that the combination of balcony, good views (the ones further aft have great views with no obstruction of any kind), size of cabin, location and lack of noise made it perfect for us. We liked being in the main Britannia restaurant and wouldn't want to be in the Club area at the same table for every meal (anyway, we always eat late, so single sitting doesn't bother us).

One thing I would recommend is that you book a portside cabin if you're travelling westbound - we found that it really made a difference on sunny days (and, of course, you're the 'right' side for Lady Liberty when you get to New York! If you're interested there are some pix on our website www.usatrip.co.uk (both westbound and eastbound trips).

Regards

Patti

We have experienced both the main room and the club room. Both are great, but for different reasons. We received an upgrade for our Christmas/New Year's sail so we did not pay for it. We always try for a table for two. We enjoy each other's company and do our meeting of strangers at breakfast and luncheon. The Britannia was a new experience. We had our same table for all of our meals. We set our arrival times. I must eat early for health reasons. Others in the room came in minutes before the 9:00 closing. The freedom is nice. We had the same staff for all three meals. Would I like the experience if I were paying for it? I think my answer is yes. I am certain there will be other opinions. In any event, you will love QM2.

Archived