Spouse Letter

C cruzer

A group of moms and DD's are sailing in April, and although I have cruised many times, I just want to be sure (I want to provide the right information to my friends.)Do we need a letter from our husbands (we are all married, so no divorce prob). I have traveled alone with my DD many times and they have never asked. But I read here somewhere that if you port in Mexico, you need it. Then others have said it is implied consent, because we are married. Thanks for any advice/ experience:confused:

Yes I took one. I will do it again in June just to keep from having any problems. No I wasn't asked the last time but I presented it without them asking.

There have been some moms here that have said that yes, they were asked.

And yes, I am happily married. I travel alone with the kids when my husband can't get the time off of work. :)

In 2004, my sister and I did a "girls only" cruise with our daughters and our mother. My husband and my brother-in-law stayed home. My sister and I both brought notarized letters of consent. I was asked for it, and my sister was not. This was at the port of New York, and the foreign ports on the itinerary were Nassau and Freeport. Apparently, the Bahamas is also "at risk" for parental abductions. BTW - this is an immigration issue, not a cruiseline requirement - it's the government who may ask to see the document.

A group of moms and DD's are sailing in April, and although I have cruised many times, I just want to be sure (I want to provide the right information to my friends.)Do we need a letter from our husbands (we are all married, so no divorce prob). I have traveled alone with my DD many times and they have never asked. But I read here somewhere that if you port in Mexico, you need it. Then others have said it is implied consent, because we are married. Thanks for any advice/ experience:confused:

Mexico (and many other countries) don't care about "implied" consent. Besides, they have no way of knowing whether you are married; just saying so or wearing a ring or even having a marriage certificate doesn't prove that you are married at the time you cruise. Please do not listen to anyone who says any variation of: "I've never been asked for the letter, so don't bother to bring one...." or rely on your past experiences (if you haven't had a letter in the past, you're fortunate not to have been asked). If you are one the parents who are asked for it and you don't have it, you could be denied boarding and/or entry to the ports. (Caveat: Sometimes when the children are teens, the officers may take them aside and "quiz" them about the family situation if there is no letter or other proof available.) There are many posts here from members who have had various problems. For example, a married couple might not think the requirement applies to married couples, but the port officers don't see it that way. So, here's mom or dad frantically calling and telling their spouse, "You have to get this letter done, right now, get it notarized, and fax a copy to the cruise line here or we're going to get left at the port."

Because of the risk of parental child abduction, Mexico (and other countries) require any parent traveling with a child and without the other parent to provide proof that the other parent has given consent (notarized letter) or that the parent traveling has full physical and legal custody or that the other parent has died (a horrid thought, I know) or that a judge has granted permission for the parent to travel with the child (when a divorced parent is being an ass about it and "punishing" the other parent by saying no).

To be safe, always bring a notarized letter because you just never know when you'll be the one who is told to provide it or wave goodbye while the ship cruises away.

beachchick

Interesting. This is something that I hadn't even thought about. I haven't traveled with the kids, without my husband yet......but if I do, this is something I need to keep in mind.

What exactly does the letter need to say? Is there a form letter out there that we can use?

Also, my father is taking my nephew on a cruise for his high school graduation this June. Does this mean that they'll need to take a letter with them?

Thanks!

Interesting. This is something that I hadn't even thought about. I haven't traveled with the kids, without my husband yet......but if I do, this is something I need to keep in mind.

What exactly does the letter need to say? Is there a form letter out there that we can use?

Also, my father is taking my nephew on a cruise for his high school graduation this June. Does this mean that they'll need to take a letter with them?

Thanks!

Not if he's 18.

I was stopped on my way back IN to the U.S. and asked where the father was on one of my cruises alone with my twins. I was glad to have my proof ready. Whether you're asked can all depend on the individual who's checking documents...and who wants to risk being delayed and missing a flight or ship because of not being prepared?

Best,

Mia

Archived