Military Dress Mess vs. Tuxedo

EduTravler

On our last cruise, I asked my husband what he planned to wear - military uniform or tuxedo. His initial response was much like Iceman's and I respected that.

He also seemed to feel that wearing the uniform would be a reminder of work and deployment, which would interfere with his enjoyment of our vacation. I can sympathize - I am certainly happy to leave my work wardrobe behind when we go traveling!

While I love to see him in uniform and I am very proud of him and the job he does... it is his decision and I would never push him to wear the uniform if he preferred his tuxedo. He looks wonderful either way! I feel either would be perfectly appropriate and it is up to the wearer's personal taste.

Yes people wear military dress and I love seeing that but It would attract a good amount of attention and thank you's and he seems to shy away from that. Besides once you are off, if feels so good to have on your civies. I say let your husband decide what he will feel the most comfortable in, but I love seening the formal dress on the officers and even the kilts too.

There are traditional differences between German sensitivities and those of those Countries and Soldiers which suffered much in the honorable defense of Democracy, which today's Germans value very much. Do not denigrate those whose fathers created the opportunities for the European Union of today. If we want to wear the Uniforms and Decorations we earned, don't confuse us with earlier failed regimes. Earned Pride is no offense.

Dear all

topics like this are difficult to achieve on a multi-national community forum.

So please lets stop here, this is a cruising forum….;)

Happy cruising to everybody

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

1a9e527468f45e24344692102efb55de.png

And already in our pipeline :

ac3818e1c6f0a0d624d514eb053ecbdd.png

Does anyone ever wear a military dress mess uniform for formal nights versus a tuxedo? I am proud of my husband's career plus he looks awesome in his "formal" uniform. But he is hesitant to stand out or be presumed to be "showy."

DEFINITELY you should have him take the dress mess. It is a gorgeous uniform and furthermore it allows people who understand what it means to THANK BOTH OF YOU for your service (because the FAMILY serves too.)

My husband is a military man and has worn his dress uniform twice on a cruise. We love having our picture taken with him in his uniform! And THANK you for your husband's service and your support of him. If you have children, they deserve our thanks for their sacrifice as well.

:)

Gerd - I'm sure CC'ers who have read your post will keep it in mind if they ever sail on a German flagged ship.

For those sailing on HAL ships, wear your Mess Dress (or the lovely Canadian kilts I've seen) with pride if you wish.

Dear all

topics like this are difficult to achieve on a multi-national community forum.

So please lets stop here, this is a cruising forum….;)

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

1a9e527468f45e24344692102efb55de.png

And already in our pipeline :

ac3818e1c6f0a0d624d514eb053ecbdd.png

Guten morgen/bon jour Gerd, hope all is well in France!

Having grown up in Holland, I know 'where you're coming from'/what you're talking about in your last post! Both our parents' went through that tough time period and you never forget things like that.

The way folks look at it here (as well as in Canada and, I'm thinking, the UK) though, as far as the wearing of the (military) uniform, is a bit different. Those things are hard to change!

Take care and be safe!

For one who served in the Vietnam era, the total absence of disrespectful comments in this thread is most gratifying. Although it might be a little snug, I could still get into my mess dress; and, if legal, I would proudly wear it.

Formerly: Major, USAF, MC, FS

Dear all

please accept a explanation.

I’m a German who did not learn English at school, but during conversations.

So please accept not to able to write a most appropriate and sensitive text, as mentioned several times on this thread. English language is the most difficult one, and to be adequate, one must have a deep state of knowledge. And a foreigner cannot always be perfect in everything – neither from Germany, Brazil or somewhere else !!

=> Unfortunately, my comments took a completely wrong tendency about my point of view.

My private view is only that to wear a military uniform on a cruise-ship is not the best exposure of it.

You also would not dress there a parade uniform of a policeman – firefighter and so on….

That’s why I mentioned also Boys Scouts => and I was during long years also a proud US one ;) – ass. Scoutmaster, BSA Troop 130, transatlantic council, Geneva Switzerland !!!

I hoop during my one of my next cruises we can meet and exchange us.

Gerd

Gerd, your comments are always welcomed. I think that it is wonderful that we have people with different perpectives that post here. It is what makes this a most interesting board. Please keep expressing your opinions.

On the topic of wearing your military uniform during the cruise, I have no objection to someone on active duty wearing his or her uniform, but I would rather the retired people leave their uniforms at home. My Father was a proud retired Marine, and he always said, that his time had come and gone, and besides, he was on vacation.

Let me pose this question to my fellow CC'ers. I retired from active duty after 26 years. However, I now work directly for the Air Force, and the local school corporation as a AFJROTC instructor, covered under Title 10, USC. I am required to wear the official Air Force uniform on a daily basis, and represent the AFJROTC program to the general public. I wear my uniform at many public events in my community, showing the colors as it were. I have a complete uniform issue, including mess dress, which is what I typically wear to formal occasions that have nothing to do with the military. I am at home in both my mess dress as well as a tux. What would you all suggest? I might add, that I have worn my mess dress aboard several cruises, probably because it is more what I'm used to.

What would you all suggest?

As long as you are not required to wear your mess dress while on board, but also as long as you are not prohibited to by any military rules, then wear whichever pleases you. As long as you meet the formal night dress code, I'll defer to you on this. :)

Aren't choices grand!

Thom, if you are comfortable in mess dress then wear it. I think section 772 quoted earlier covers that. My mess dress however seems to have shrunk. I made it to having my own ship because I listened to Chief Petty Officers!

Mike

Archived