White Noise Machine

Hi there! Where do I buy a white noise machine and is it small enough for packing in my suitcase? Does it work to block out noise? I'd love one for my upcoming cruise.

Hi, there...

DH insists on a fan when sleeping, both for the noise and for the breeze. We take this fan on vacations, and it fits in our suitcase. There may be some smaller ones out there for just the noise, but this works for us.

http://www.target.com/Honeywell-Super-Turbo-Fan-Black/dp/B000FIJ32I/sr=1-1/qid=1236005387/ref=sr_1_1/180-8285817-0032155?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Afan&page=1

Hi there! Where do I buy a white noise machine and is it small enough for packing in my suitcase? Does it work to block out noise? I'd love one for my upcoming cruise.

We have noisy neighbors, and ever since we got our Marsona Sound Machine, we sleep soundly every night (even my DH's snoring doesn't bother me anymore ;))

It's definitely travel-ready; that's what it's mainly designed for. Here's a link to it on Magellans, but I think it's available from many vendors; you might also find it on eBay:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Electronics___Radios___Sound_MachinesEP271?Args=

I have a Homedics one, that I just brought on a cruise with me. Thing is I'm SUCH a light sleeper that I have to sleep with it right next to my pillow, upside down. (Stupid thing has the speaker on the bottom.) It did a good job of blocking out the sound of people walking through the hallways talking really loudly. It's funny how people talk loud at 1am while walking down the hall, without realizing how thin the walls are. Mine is kind of old...a bit bigger than old-fashioned personal CD players.

When I went through airport security, after it got x-rayed, they made me take it out and re-x-ray it.

BRING AN EXTENSION CORD for it!!!!!!!

We use a white noise machine at home but on our last cruise we just left music play softly on the TV in the cabin. That worked fine for us. Also, remember to bring an extension or power strip as there is usually only one outlet by the vanity in most cabins.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have spend all afternoon on the phone and most of this morning looking for one of these white noise machines in the Toronto area. Most people did not know what I was talking about! I tried Wlamart, Shopper's, Best Buy, Canadian Tire and called manufacturers direct. It looks like I will have to order on-line for one of these products, so I'm trying to decide which one to get. The machines "on a loop" sound like they might bother me with their little clicky sounds. I'm looking at the Marmac Sound Screen on Amazon for around $50.00, perhaps.

Can these systems be brought in your carry-on luggage?

The machines "on a loop" sound like they might bother me with their little clicky sounds. I'm looking at the Marmac Sound Screen on Amazon for around $50.00, perhaps.

I too am bothered by machines on a loop, I could hear the point where it changed and found myself focusing on that. That made it harder for me to fall asleep and that was not what I was looking for!

I also found that I find the white noise more helpful when falling asleep than the nature sounds. Maybe the nature sounds would be nice to listen to as background noise while I am awake but to sleep I find the white noise is best for me and DH too.

I have the Marpac 980A (it has two speeds as well as the ability to adjust the sound by turning the top) and we love it. I was hesitant to buy yet another gadget, but it has been worth every penny I spent. We have had it for about 4 years. If it dies I will buy another one in a heartbeat.

Check out their web site, marpac.com to learn more. BTW, as the site mentions, the Sleepmate and Sound Screen are exactly the same except for the name.

I think I may have bought mine on Amazon too. Look for the best deal with a reputable dealer.

Definitely go with MarPac. I use and recommend the TSC-330, their 'lightweight travel model'.

You correctly identified the problem with less-expensive units - they use a loop recording of noise on a memory chip which repeats - and many people, myself included, can hear the repeat point. The MarPac electronic models are true -generators-, that is, they continuously create the noise using electronic circuits, not just play back a memory loop. You won't hear a repeat.

Like some other posters, I find the 'extra' sounds of rain, surf, and other stuff is a distraction. I just want the pure white noise, which the TSC-330 provides.

I've used white noise generators for more than 15 years - My first one was a MarPac that lasted more than 10 years, and that unit was replaced with the TSC-330 I now have.

RAE

Archived