UK Cruisers using a Nationwide CC for on board account

uktog

On this board, there has often been mention of the Nationwide Credit card and how it can be used to completely avoid these nasty currency conversions. Well unfortunately not any more - hidden in the Nationwides website you will find this link that indicates all is changing in May 2009

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/goldcard/foreigntransactions.htm

If you look down the list of countries where no charge will apply you will see it is mostly EU countries so beware as on board charges are from the US it will attract a 1% fee - still cheaper than using the cruise lines currency conversion but not completely free.

If you are cruising in Europe it looks like you will still have no charges for onshore purchases.

Reading in more detail in the site it appears these changes also apply to overseasnATM use by current account holders which was previously free of charge which is a pain as I have just got the hang of managing foreign currency that way- though again the rate is usually much better than an exchange desk

A

Thanks for letting us know that. I always use my Nationwide card for overseas spending and even have a debit card account just so I can withdraw cash abroad at a decent exchange rate. Thats bad news that they will be charging 1% for US dollars, might have to look at the post office Visa card as they are supposed to do commision free foreign spending. I'm going to check their website now!

Thanks for this post as I have been using both my visa gold card and debit card for several years to avoid charges. I am giving a link below from the "Which" site which shows those cards which are, or in the case of Nationwide were, best value. I guess that they will want to make even more money out of us, so this benefit will gradually disappear from the remaining cards.

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews-ns/credit-cards/best-buy-credit-cards-to-use-abroad/index.jsp

That's a bit of a bu**er! However I think most cards charge 2.75% on the exchange rate so it's still better than that. Just another reflection of the current global economic turmoil I guess. We are lucky we can still go on our cruise!

OK - some help from you experienced UK cruisers out there. Im eagerly awaiting our 1st ever cruise this summer. I went out a few months ago and got a Nationwide credit card purely on the basis that it was the best card to have for overseas spending. Now the news that NW is no longer 'free', but as I understand it is still one of the cheapest.

My question to you all is... What is it I have to do to ensure X charge me the most economical way - something about whether they charge me at their exchange rate or the credit card exchange rate ??!?:confused:.

Sorry - but from the threads I've read before Im still left pretty confused over what it is I'm meant to ask them to do. And do I ask whatever at check-in (online ?) / at the pier / or later towards the end of the cruise.

A thousand thankyous in advance... I'm really at a lost to know what to do for the best and really don't want to get stung for being unaware.:o

Figgy there is a box on the online check in where you check for the bill to be processed in US dollars ie you do NOT take part in the Cruiseline conversion scheme. They have changed the wording a few times so you will need to read it carefully as you have to check one of two boxes. As our next cruises are too far ahead to start the online check in I cannot go and check the exact wording for you

You are right even though Nationwide is going to charge 1% the cruiseline conversion equates to 3-3.5% so you are still going to be ahead

Your on board account will be passed to Nationwide in dollars and they will apply the conversion with the 1% fee. If you go with the cruiseline conversion the on board account is passed to Nationwide in sterling including a much higher fee

A

As our next cruises are too far ahead to start the online check in I cannot go and check the exact wording for you

I see from your future sailings that your next trip is very close to mine (17 Aug.) You mention it being too early to online check-in. This brings me to something else I was wondering. Having never done online check-in before this is something else I am nervous about. When would be the correct time to think about online check-in... are there any other tips you can advise of ?

Many thanks

Fig

Figgywig

Just as a precaution I would also double check with guest relations once onboard that you wish to be charged in USD and not have the cruiseline convert your charges.

On about 6 occaisions they charged my Nationwide card in pounds even though I asked them not to, although I have to say once I get home I always call Celebrity's UK office and they have refunded me the difference and assured me it wont happen again:rolleyes: when it did I got flowers in my stateroom for the trouble!!

Finally on our last cruise at Christmas they actually did as I asked and charged my card in dollars, so hopefully they have sorted out whatever glitch they had in their system.

Good luck, and happy cruising!

Lisa

You will eventually print out copies of your online check-in stuff, including the "Do not use your conversion rate" instruction; having been caught out once, we now highlight this part and point it out to the check-in staff, and confirm with the cashiers desk sometime during the cruise. Belt and braces approach.

As far as online check-in is concerned, there's nothing to worry about. Importantly, you need to know that you don't have to do the whole lot in one go, you can fill it in bits at a time, and it's also where you can book shore excursions when they are available, if you want.

Edit addition - Abbafan and I were clearly thinking the same things at the same time, hence the same advice

I see from your future sailings that your next trip is very close to mine (17 Aug.) You mention it being too early to online check-in. This brings me to something else I was wondering. Having never done online check-in before this is something else I am nervous about. When would be the correct time to think about online check-in... are there any other tips you can advise of ?

Many thanks

Fig

I do online check-in 1-2 weeks before sailing, it saves alot of time at the port in not having to give all your personal and credit card passport details at the pier.

You have to sign them, tick the credit card (dont convert box) then on check-in all the agent does is swipe the bar code on your printed boarding pass and swipes your assigned C card for the seapass.....easy.

Enjoy your cruise.........

Hi there;

I've completed the online check in except for printing out the Seapass stuff but it won't let me do that - I assume because it's still early days. We sail 25th May.

Anyway I can't find the ticky box to ask them to charge me in US dollars rather than convert. Can anyone remember where it is?

Also flight docs etc do they email / send that info to me closer to the time? I booked through an agent.

Finally my research seems to suggest that the Post Office card is still not charging for overseas transactions so that may be an option. However it is probably only a matter of time before it withdraws that perk.

Hi there;

I've completed the online check in except for printing out the Seapass stuff but it won't let me do that - I assume because it's still early days. We sail 25th May.

Anyway I can't find the ticky box to ask them to charge me in US dollars rather than convert. Can anyone remember where it is?

Hi

We're sailing on May 2nd and I printed out our sea passes last week. The box for ticking for charging in dollars is the second option on the pass.

Archived