AOS Aruba route - strollers needed?

mdcruzer

My family, including DD's (3yo & 5yo) will be cruising the Aruba route on AOS 4/5/09.

At Aruba & Curacao, we plan to taxi to the beach for a couple of hours then walk around town. At St. Martin & St. Thomas just walk around the shops near the pier.

Should we carry strollers for Aruba & Curacao? How great a distance between ship and shops?

Has anyone cruised this route with children that age?

I don't know how much your children like to walk. In Aruba, it's pretty close to the shops, but it can be hot and crowded. You may find they do better in the stroller. Be advised that there aren't many places to rent beach chairs in Aruba. If you want to do this, have a cab take you to Moombas, which is by the Holiday Inn. There's food/shopping/bathrooms and chairs for rent.

I think just going to the shops by the pier in St. Thomas is boring for children. Find a cab driver to give you a tour of the island and then take you to Secret Harbor beach. It has a nice little restaurant, The Blue Moon Cafe, bathrooms, and you can rent chairs from the beach attendant. There is also lots of shade and the water is calm. Be advised that traffic can be very bad in St. Thomas, so make arrangements to be picked up so you get back to the ship in time.

I did this route a few years ago with a 4 y/o and a 6 y/o. They did fine and we did not take strollers.

We did this:

Aruba: rented jeeps and toured island...also went to a private island via ferry to swim and snorkle with pretty blue parrot fish

St Martin: rented a car adn toured....stopped at a few beaches (Kids would LOVE MAHO...planes fly overhead....its not a good all day bech (IMO) but a great stop)

Curaco: went to the sea aquarium...kids liked that

St Thomas: rented jeeps again and toured!!!! Also stpped at a resort and some of our group jetskiied......the rest of us enjoyed the pool there

Do you mind me asking why you are only planning on walking the port area and shopping?? You would really be missing out!! This was our FAV cruise....kids loved it too and the ports are great!! You'll miss seeing just how beautiful if you stay in port area.

RN7997,

We are planning to go to the beach for a few hours, maybe return to the ship for lunch, and then stroll downtown. Just needed to know if that's too much for the little ones? Especially since it will be around naptime.

At Curacao, we will visit Kontiki and then the same routine. Stroll downtown.

Not sure if we will book tours or excursiuons.

Also, we currently have a double stroller (not side by side). Is this too bulky to carry on the flight?

BTW: can I get info on your Aruba tours, cost, length, provider, etc? Thanks

RN7997,

Also, we currently have a double stroller (not side by side). Is this too bulky to carry on the flight?

It doesn't matter how bulky it is; there's no place to stow a stroller on a plane; you will have to gate check it.

Archived