Movies?

All the ships show movies in one venue or another; they all have popcorn, too. :D

As of now none of the ships have movies outdoors. :)

The following movies were shown on the Veendam a couple of weeks ago. The Westerdam probably had a similar listing:

Australia

Appaloosa

Body of Lies

Flash of Genius

Eagle Eye

Secret Lives of Bees

My Mom's New Boyfriend

There were other recent movies shown on TV, too.

Hi Ruth,

I was on that cruise with you.

We played trivia together.

It was a pleasure meeting you.

I was there with my daughter.

And yes, (to keep on topic) I took advantage of the movies as well.

Westerdam shows movies in the Queens Lounge. Get there early to find a seat that's comfortable ... the seats in that lounge never seem to be the most comfy.

And, yes, usually popcorn is popped and served in little paper bags ... and the popcorn is GOOD....

Hi Ruth,

I was on that cruise with you.

We played trivia together.

It was a pleasure meeting you.

I was there with my daughter.

And yes, (to keep on topic) I took advantage of the movies as well.

Hi, Janie. Welcome to Cruise Critic. Pull up a keyboard and stick around. :)

Trivia was fun that day. I'm sorry that I never got back again---darn ports keep interferring with good times on the ship! We had a good team.

Does the Westerdam have a movie theater or an outside movie screen at the pool? Also, does anyone know which movies have been playing? Does the Westerdam offer popcorn when showing movies?

Never been on a HAL ship (first one coming up mid-April:D), so I can't say. As far as I know, outside movie screens (aka "Movie Under the Stars") are available on certain Princess ships, though Princess plans to upgrade all their ships with these outdoor movies screens in the next couple of years. Anyhow, we were on the Emerald last summer and we really enjoyed the late night movie concept.

Hi, Janie. Welcome to Cruise Critic. Pull up a keyboard and stick around. :)

Trivia was fun that day. I'm sorry that I never got back again---darn ports keep interferring with good times on the ship! We had a good team.

The last day (Saturday) they did a Culinary Trivia and we did awful. Could have used you then. I shall pop in here now and then. I am looking to go on another cruise in December.

When is your next trip? My daughter and I tried to get to the trivia games but yes, the excursions did interfere with some. But it was fun. You are good.

Debbie

When is your next trip?

October 17 and 31 on the Rotterdam---Athens to Rome, followed by Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. Those trans-At flights are getting to be too much, but sailing home, then flying from Florida, is easy!

And you?

I'll have to admit that I din't look at what the movie offerings were on TV in our stateroom on Westerdam last month, but I was surprised to find that movies were only offered in the Queen's Lounge once a day. Seems to me that on previous cruises (at least on R or S class) that the movie was shown 2-3 times a day.

And it wasn't as though the Queen's Lounge was always in use for other things that would have prevented multiple showings. Then to add insult to injury, on one of our sea days, the only movie shown was at 8 P.M. when we were having dinner. Makes absolutely NO sense.

On the February 21-28 MR Oosterdam sailing, there were no movies at all except on TV. I always enjoyed watching a movie or two with some popcorn on all my previous HAL sailings. I was quite disappointed that no movies were shown, especially during Oscars week--hope it is not a permanent change. Some of what was shown on TV was enjoyable to OK, and some movies were so awful they were unwatchable. I had a great time on the cruise overall, just missed something that's been an enjoyable feature on all previous HAL cruises.

My mom sails on Westerdam April 12. She doesn't use a computer so I'm posting for her. She likes going to movies. Before she cruises, I'll show her how to get to the Queen's Lounge.

Is the Westerdam deck plans similar to Zuiderdam and Oosterdam? I thought they are in the same Vista Class. Z.. and O... are very easy to navigate. Mom is 86 and her friend is around the same age. I'm sure plenty of the friendly HAL pax will help them get to the movie.

Hi, Susie .... yes, Westerdam's Queens Lounge is in the same place as on Zuiderdam and Oosterdam.

Be sure your mom watches the daily newsletter for times of the movies ... IIRC, there were various times during our last cruise. Remember, too, that although many movies are shown on the in-cabin TVs, there's no popcorn there...lol.

Bon Voyage to your mother and her friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived