Renting a car in Anchorage

PK4SC

Weekly rates in Anchorage seem ridiculous. How does one get a good deal on a car in Anchorage for July? Any insight on this would be great as I don't want to have to sell my first born just to rent a car for a week. Thanks for any insight.

TroyMan

Weekly rates in Anchorage seem ridiculous. How does one get a good deal on a car in Anchorage for July? Any insight on this would be great as I don't want to have to sell my first born just to rent a car for a week. Thanks for any insight.

TroyMan

Welcome to the wonderful world of summer tourism in Anchorage. Unfortunately, unless you might find some deals with some local firms such as Denali Car Rental http://www.denalicarrentalak.com/ you might be out of luck. Check the off airport locations (downtown, midtown) for Avis, Budget, Payless, Enterprise as they may be less because they don't have to pay all the associated airport fees.

Susan in Anchorage :)

It is definitely not cheap renting in Anchorage. But doable if done with tons of research.

As Susan says (above post) definitely rent downtown. Not at the airport. Big difference in price. Another poster once gave this web page and I was able to play with the different codes and coupons and got a better rate. It is for Avis only, but that worked for us since we are doing a one-way with drop off in Whittier. Here is the link: http://www.mousesavers.com/avis.html#codes

Good luck!

The best way to get a good rate on a rental car in Anchorage is to book WAY in advance - like a year! I booked almost that far in advance twice - both times with pickup at the downtown Enterprise location.

That's exactly what we did and our car is about $30 per day!

Hertz on hotwire.com is $45/day for an economy car. That is about half the rest of the rest of the companies. They are closed on Sunday though, just so you know. I don't really know why they are so cheap so I would probably call the local office to confirm the reservation after making it.

Another option to help save is Avis which has a free day coupon in the Toursaver.

My DW and I are doing a land tour Aug. 24 through 31. Last month I booked a rental car with Alamo for the week @ $460 (rate + all taxes) for an economy.

Just did a kayak.com search for car rentals. Found a premium category car with Enterprise @ $330 (rate + all taxes). Booked that thing in a heartbeat.

Both these rentals were and are for the airport locations.

I think I just found a deal. Have I really?

My DW and I are doing a land tour Aug. 24 through 31. Last month I booked a rental car with Alamo for the week @ $460 (rate + all taxes) for an economy.

Just did a kayak.com search for car rentals. Found a premium category car with Enterprise @ $330 (rate + all taxes). Booked that thing in a heartbeat.

$330 for a premium in this town in the summer is great. There are actually companies in town that do run out of cars on certain days, so booking early is the best advice. Book a price and then keep looking as you never know when you might find something better.

Another poster once gave this web page and I was able to play with the different codes and coupons and got a better rate. It is for Avis only, but that worked for us since we are doing a one-way with drop off in Whittier. Here is the link: http://www.mousesavers.com/avis.html#codes

I just tried some of the codes on this page, and with one (AWD Q309000) landed a great deal for this June: an SUV or mini van for 5 days for $395 including all taxes. I had been holding a comparable reservation from Hertz, with a discount, for $711. (There are for renting downtown and returning at the airport; renting from the airport adds over $100.) The $395 seems like a great price for this size vehicle on a reservation being made now.

It's such a good deal that it makes me nervous: will I show up at the counter and have them deny me for some reason I don't know about, and end up paying $1,000 for my rental? I called Avis and said I wanted to check to see if there were any restrictions or requirements for the use of an AWD code which was given to me by one of the companies I do some work for, and the person I talked to said there was no problem or requirements with the reservation. So, does anyone have any experience with something like this? Can I trust that I won't have a problem when I go to pickup the car if I stick with this reservation?

-- Eric

If you belong to Costco, you can get their discount, 20% off or more. Go thru their website www.costco.com for more information.

We have reserved a car from a downtown location and we are returning it at the airport, no extra charge!

Would you please descript how you did it? I've went thru the Costco website and try to book the car from Avis at the downtown location and return to the airport....but no discount has been shown up and still charge the one way drop off fee.

thanks so much,

Michelle

Would you please descript how you did it? I've went thru the Costco website and try to book the car from Avis at the downtown location and return to the airport....but no discount has been shown up and still charge the one way drop off fee.

thanks so much,

Michelle

Sometimes it's tied to certain classes of car. They don't necessarily give it for all kinds of car classes or there are classes that aren't available.

I just did one two ways - on the Costco site I picked Avis Car Rental up to 25% up. Since I didn't know your dates I put in picking up 7/18/08 at the B street location and returning to the Airport location on 7/25/08 and got a base rate of $424.92 for an Intermediate Car.

Then I went into just the Avis site, didn't use any codes, and put in the same information and got a base rate of $636. So there is a savings there.

From their information I couldn't see if they were doing an airport drop off fee so I did a rental doing either roundtrip downtown or airport and the base rate is still the $636, so there is no associated drop off fee.

So hope this helps!

I just booked the same deal. I appreciate all the great leads given. By the way PastorD2 are you are pastor as in church pastor? Just curious.

I just tried some of the codes on this page, and with one (AWD Q309000) landed a great deal for this June: an SUV or mini van for 5 days for $395 including all taxes. I had been holding a comparable reservation from Hertz, with a discount, for $711. (There are for renting downtown and returning at the airport; renting from the airport adds over $100.) The $395 seems like a great price for this size vehicle on a reservation being made now.

It's such a good deal that it makes me nervous: will I show up at the counter and have them deny me for some reason I don't know about, and end up paying $1,000 for my rental? I called Avis and said I wanted to check to see if there were any restrictions or requirements for the use of an AWD code which was given to me by one of the companies I do some work for, and the person I talked to said there was no problem or requirements with the reservation. So, does anyone have any experience with something like this? Can I trust that I won't have a problem when I go to pickup the car if I stick with this reservation?

-- Eric

Eric, I used the same code, Q309000, but also used the coupon code UUCA016. I ended up with a total of $343 for a 4 day rental and one-way drop off charge in Whittier. (I did save a bit more by returning the car to downtown Anchorage and picking up a new one for the one-way to Whittier.) I think we got an economy or mid-sized car. I think your price is great for a SUV or minivan for 5 days. What a deal!

I worry about the same thing. So I printed up everything and we will only pay what we were quoted. Hopefully there won't be any problems and they will not try to charge us even more. The unknown...always a scare prospect.

Have a great trip!

I've tried a couple of discount codes and yes it does save me money.....but I've kept my original reservations so far because I'm afraid that they'll ask for PROOF that I qualify for a particular code, coupon, or discount number and I won't even be able to identify where the code came from...(except to say I got it off cruise critic.....).

Then if they VOID my reservation because I don't qualify (or can't prove I do) I'm assuming that they'll charge me the "current rate" for the vehicle....whatever that is (but I'm sure the last minute rate is twice what I would have paid with a regular reservation.....).

Has anyone ever had this happen? Am I being paranoid? If they ask you for some information you can't produce how do they figure a new rental charge? Maybe this NEVER happens?? Has anyone ever been asked for this type of information? (I understand having a Costco card for a costco rate....but where did AWD Q309000 come from? - and do you qualify to use it?)

Thank you,

Judy

I've never been asked for a coupon or some kind of special id unless it states on the confirmation that it's needed (and even then I'm not always asked). So many things are done online now, that I don't think they'd be able to keep up with what was paper and what wasn't, even if they wanted to.

I booked in July 08 for 09 I'm paying 112.00 with taxes for seven days. I got the deal from enterprise. I went the next week to check how much it would cost and it scared me on how much the price changed. I call and verified my reservation just to be on the safe side.:eek:

Ok everyone - I am soooo frustrated with my car situation. I have tried all of these scenarios for my situation and seem to be coming up way short. We are trying to do a one way mini-van rental from Whittier to Anchorage. Right now the best I've come up with (well really the only way) is to do a ROUND TRIP mini-van out of whittier and then do a one-way full-size (and stuff the luggage in!) from Whittier to Anchorage on our last day.

The problems I'm finding are that the mini-van class of car doesn't seem to work with these codes and discounts. Or else it's the Whittier location. Not entirely sure. The other problem is I can't get a one-way mini-van rental. The biggest one-way car option is a full size which just doesn't work for 4 adults + luggage.

Right now it is $1100 for the mini-van and then $260 for the full size. That's almost $1400 for the week!!! I'm so disgusted I can hardly stand it! That's a truly insane price in my opinion. I've been working on this problem since September and still have no good options! We just don't have the time to go to Anchorage first to get a car rental. And I guess what they say is true...time is money.

Any suggestions???

I just booked the same deal. I appreciate all the great leads given. By the way PastorD2 are you are pastor as in church pastor? Just curious.

Yes - I am and have been a church pastor for almost 32 years now. I have dreamed of going to Alaska from my childhood. I pray that this will be the summer that I get to make this trip. :D

cbowler, I've been wrestling with this for a long time, too. I just stumbled on the Avis code which got me a great rate last night -- which I really didn't expect at this late date when availability is more limited.

In terms of the AWD codes not working for Whittier, I'm not sure of an explanation, but if you've tried them and they don't work, the reasons don't really matter. We're coming in to Seward instead of Whittier, and in Seward it's the same situation with Hertz instead of Avis. I couldn't figure out why none of my Hertz codes which should work did. The answer is that the Hertz office in Seward is a franchise, not a corporate-owned office -- and the franchise doesn't accept any discount codes at all! I don't know if Avis works the same way in Whittier, but that might be one explanation.

As for what to do, I have one suggestion: why not take the train from Whittier to Anchorage, and then rent the mini van or SUV you want in Anchorage? The train fare for four people, plus the rental cost for an Anchorage rental, is far less than what you're set to pay. (Or alternatively, a bus or other transfer to Anchorage, if the train time doesn't work well.) You say you don't have time to go to Anchorage, so I'm a little confused. You're arriving in Whittier and ending in Anchorage; where are you going from Whittier on that day of arrival?

-- Eric

Ah, I just found where you posted your itinerary in a different message thread.

-Arrive Whittier; PWS cruise; overnight in Seward

-Hike and glacier trek with Exit Glacier Guides; Sea Life Center; overnight in Seward

-Kenai Fjords tour with Renown tours; overnight in Seward

-Seward to Palmer; Independence Mine and Hatcher's Pass; possible stops at Alaska Native Heritage Center or Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center; overnight in Palmer

-Palmer to Denali; stop in Talkeetna for flightseeing; stop at Denali Park visitors center; overnight at Denali (Healy)

-Shuttle bus to Wonder Lake; overnight at Denali (Healy)

-Denali to Anchorage; possible 2nd chance flightseeing in Talkeetna; visit downtown Anchorage; midnight flight home.

So now I understand your problem. I have one suggestion for what seems like it might be a fairly easy fix. After your PWS trip, take the train (or bus) to Anchorage and spend your first overnight in Anchorage rather than Seward. The next morning, pick up your rental vehicle from a downtown office of Hertz or Avis, and drive to Seward. I don't know what time your hike with Exit Glacier Guides is scheduled for, but if it's their Ice Hike and you can get on the 11:30 trip, then you'd have plenty of time to pick up the car when the offices open at 8 am in Anchorage and drive to Seward in time for your tour. After the hike, visit the Sea Life Center, which I believe is open until 7:00. That preserves your itinerary with nothing left out; all you'd have to do is change your first night hotel stay, and possible shift your hike time depending on what you've currently got booked. And you'll probably save $6-700 or more compared to your current car rental plan. Might this work for you?

-- Eric

Yes - I am and have been a church pastor for almost 32 years now. I have dreamed of going to Alaska from my childhood. I pray that this will be the summer that I get to make this trip. :D

I have been pastoring for33 years. We too are looking forward to Alaska. This will be our 6th cruise but first to the north. I pastor in Palmdale, CA about an hour to the north east of L.A. in the high desert.

Blessings!

Ken

Thanks Cruiseej - That is a good option which I hadn't considered. I think I get so stuck in my thinking that I sometimes don't see other options clearly! I will definitely check out that situation and see if it would work out for us. I love this board!!!

Am going to be in Alaska for a week after my cruise in June... picking up car on June 17th and was actually able to reserve a SUV for $365 inclusive for the week.... This was thru Hotwire and there only seemed to be deals on certain models(ie. Suvs .,Premiums) but who cares... the reservation i made a couple of months ago was for a wee compact at a cost of $565 for the week.... this may not last but I suggest not wasting any time... the one catch is you have to pay in advance..... Since I already purchased travel insurance and have no intention of not going .... this was a no-brainer...

Good Luck....

Archived