Dunns Falls with Infant

EWIPPI

Hi,

We will be cruising in April 09 with my 3 daughters (10, 8 & 10months old) Does anyone know if we could do the falls with our infant? Any other excursions in Ocho Rios recommended with my kids?

I love the falls, but wouldn't recommend it with an infant, if you stayed at the bottom I guess it would be ok, but it's a nice climb, and it wouldnt be safe if you had your infant in your arms, or one of those back pack things.

It's a great trip, but not for baby's sorry :(

Your 10 yr old would probably be ok, I have a 10 yr old myself and he could do it with a little help, not really sure about the 8 yr old ....

No way, would it be good for an infant. We did it when I was 5, I climbed halfway and then my dad took me to the top some other way, a walkway I guess, I don't really remember. I would guess it would be ok for the other two, but I did it 18 years ago so regulations and things could have changed.

Hi,

We will be cruising in April 09 with my 3 daughters (10, 8 & 10months old) Does anyone know if we could do the falls with our infant? Any other excursions in Ocho Rios recommended with my kids?

Coyaba River Garden and Museum. It's a beautiful botanical garden and waterfall. It's not very crowded and comes with a personal guide. The falls are easy and fun to climb. I have pics posted under my signature. My kids (now 10 and 13) loved this excursion. This would be more enjoyable as a family.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I don't think they would even let you climb the Falls with an infant, and I wouldn't recommend it either. However, there is a walkway that goes up all along the Falls with some entrance/exit spots into the water. Your 8 and 10 year old should have no problem climbing the Falls. My son was 8 years old when we climbed the Falls and he could do it--no problem. His only complaint was the temperature of the water--he thought it was too cold.

If you are interested you can clink on the link to see our photo's/video's of Dunns River Falls. We also went River Tubing and hung out in Margaritaville.

I came across these pictures when we climbed the Falls in 1991. In these photo's you can see the walkway running along the Falls and the second one shows one of the spots where you can come in and out of the water.

soa103.jpg.f1b23f7d42796b7e90ee9962bd91ee26.jpg

soa107.jpg.f39b512bcedbf87b01656ae689b653c8.jpg

IMO it wasn't that great and I know my kids (6 and 10) would have been bored out of their gourd. I don't know that I'd even let them attempt it...those rocks are slippery as heck, and I found even my adult-sized foot seemed to find PLENTY of spaces between rocks that I had a few close calls almost twisting my ankle. I imagine it would be even worse with little feet.

Does any recommend anything then in Jamaica with a baby? I understand it is quite dangerous to travel around by yourself on the island? It seems as though the falls would not be the best idea, so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Our baby will be 17 months old when we dock in Ocho Rios...we also have three other children (15, 14 & 12) and will be visiting the falls. Me and the baby will travel the pathway, take photos and enjoy watching the kids and hubby climb. I think the falls seem like a NOT MISS in Jamaica.

I could be wrong, but I don't want to regret not seeing them and deciding for myself.

Our baby will be 17 months old when we dock in Ocho Rios...we also have three other children (15, 14 & 12) and will be visiting the falls. Me and the baby will travel the pathway, take photos and enjoy watching the kids and hubby climb. I think the falls seem like a NOT MISS in Jamaica.

I could be wrong, but I don't want to regret not seeing them and deciding for myself.

I totally agree with you. If I were in your situation, I would do the same thing. Climbing Dunns River Falls is a major highlight and I wouldn't want to miss it either!

We went as a family to Dunns River Falls about 5 years ago. At the time our kids were 22 months, almost 5 and 10. We also had our parents with us. My mom stayed on the path and watched us from the viewing areas with the youngest. My dad was 50 at the time and he had to get out half way up because it was very strenuous. The rest of us uncluding the 4 year old made it to the top. At the top we were HOUNDED by the vendors and it ruined the whole experience for us. We've been back since and the kids stayed onboard the ship in Adventure Ocean while my husband and I did a ziplining tour. We're going back again in May and are considering getting day passes to an all inclusive resort.

To the original poster...when will you be in Ja? I didn't see when you were coming to port here. Could have some good suggestions, depending on the date. Let me know, hope I can help.

The day pass to an all inclusive resort sounds nice, have you done any research on that yet? If not, would you mind passing the info along.

Thanks

Check here.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=921341

Pauline has provided lots of great info on the All Inclusives. I think I'm leaning towards Sunset Jamaica Grande. I was thinking Beaches but it is a 20 minute drive to the resort.

• 1 month later...

I love the falls and of course, I believe the adults and your ten year old would probably enjoy it. I have an eight year old and would not allow her to climb at this age. I believe she would be terrified at some parts of the falls if I allowed her to try, but maybe your eight year old is taller and more adventurous.

However, there is a very nice beach at the bottom of the falls which would be good for the whole family, and of course there is the path for watching the climbers. This is truly a magnificently beautiful location and has lots of shade for the baby. If you choose to go to the falls, you may want to avoid the craft market at the top. My experience is that the vendors are pushier here than elsewhere in Ocho Rios.

On the other hand, your family might enjoy visiting an all-inclusive resort for the day where there are activities for everyone. There are several choices in the Ocho Rios area. Even though I love the falls, this is probably what I would do if I were bringing the kids. I would definitely look for kid friendly activities when making a selection.

I'm sure you'll have a great day whatever you choose.

Go to Dunn's Falls and take the path with the baby. There are parts where you can even come in and go back out of the falls at the easier parts. If the 8 or 10 year old gets, tired, they can get out at these point too. We climbed the falls last month and LOVED it. I'm 48 and out of shape and made it to the top (with help from my hubby, daughter, and other people in our group). It was alot of fun.

We also took the Skychair to the top of Mystic Mountain. It's beautiful with alot of things for the 8 and 10 year old to do up there....(pool with slide, restaurant, bob sled, zip lining) especially the bob sled....(I even did it once....and screamed the whole way.)

Oh....and by the way, while we were there, after our climb, I saw a man with a baby in a baby carrier attached to his front going to climb the falls. He was young and in good shape, but I still thought.....OH DEAR!!!

Archived