suggestions please for excursions with a 5yo at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios.

incruzcontrol2

Hello.

I was hoping to get some suggestions please for excursions with a 5yo at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. Please comment on what you have done with your child around this age group at these places, how you liked it, and how your child/dren liked it. Thanks so much!

Our most recent Cozumel thread is here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=932594

Grand Caymen - we did the Butterfly Express tour, which I wouldn't recommend. Some like the turtle farm. If your 5 year old is really adventurous, check the age minimums for stingray city. When we go back to Grand Caymen, I'll probably just go to 7 mile beach.

Ocho Rios - most like the falls. It may be a little much for a 5 year old though. There is a side path you can take along the falls.

We've been on two Western cruises when our daughters were five. On the first one we went to Dunns River Falls and she did fine. We did this tour with Peat Taylor and it also went to Fern Gully. Our youngest was 2 at the time so she doesn't remember, but our five year old talked about the poverty for quite some time after we got home. There were lots of stray dogs and run down houses and she was really worried about it. So when we went back three years later the kids stayed on the ship while us adults went ziplining.

We also went to Stingray City with Capt. Marvins. Both girls were amazing. The boat ride over was exciting and both times we got to see sea turtles. The first time we went the five year old surprised is by getting into the water with the rays. We were prepared to take turns, but didn't have to. (That time the 2 year old toured GC with my parents.) When we went three years later our five year old was a little more apprehensive, but she did get into the water in dads arms. As long as she was being carried she was ok.

So far in Cozumel we haven't done anything organized. The last time we were there we had planned on going to Paradise Beach, but the weather was terrible and our youngest had a fever.

When we go in two months we're going to Dolphin Discovery/Chankabaab Park in Cozumel. We've heard lots of good things about it here on the boards and are looking forward to it. We're going back to Stingray City and we're thinking about getting a day pass to Sunset Jamaica Grande.

For our cruise in September, this is what we're planning on doing with our 4 year old:

Cozumel: Nachi Cocum (you can find more info on the ports of call board for Cozumel)

Grand Cayman: Taking a taxi (or maybe the bus) to Sea Grape Beach

Ocho Rios: My son and I are not getting off the boat. We're going to have a fun day at the H2O Zone!

We've cruised twice before, this is the first time with kids (who will be 6 and 10 when we sail).

Been to Cozumel before, went to Paradise Beach. It was wonderful, but this time we want to do dolphins at Chankanaab. Check out the Chankanaab website...looks to be geared for the younger crowd (there's a playground on the beach, replicas of ruins, some animals to see, a freshwater pool, beginner's snorkeling area).

We've also been to GC before. Last time we did a Jeep tour that was super boring, the highlight of which was Rum Point beach. This time we're doing a tour through Nativeways hitting the stingrays and heading straight to Rum Point.

We were in Ocho Rios (not on our itinerary this time)...I don't know that I'd get off the ship, either, with my 5 YO. Unless it was to shop in Island Village (the gated off shopping/eating area right near the pier). IMO Dunn's River Falls weren't THAT great, and I don't know that I'd attempt it with a kiddo under 12 or so. I did the Phil Lafayette tour, and although he was EXCELLENT, now that I've seen a bit of Ocho Rios, I don't know that I'd have missed a whole lot if I hadn't done the tour.

We've been to all three ports several times with our young kids--who are currently ages 6 and 8. These are the things we have done:

GC--1) Private tour hitting the Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingrays. Best tour EVER, as we had a whole boat to ourselves for the rays. WOW!!! 2) Caught a shuttle bus right at the pier to Sea Grape Beach. Great beautiful beach with covered pavilions.

Cozumel--1) Paradise Beach, many times. Always a good experience, with water toys, nice beach, food/drink for a fee. Changing areas a plus too. 2) We plan on renting a car to drive the perimeter of the island to stop at random beaches and the local ruins.

Ocho Rios--1) Private tour to Fern Gully, Dunn's River, where we did not climb the falls. We took the stairs to the bottom where there is anice beach area. TOur also included a stop at the botanical gardens. 2) Ship tour called "Rafting on the Martha Brae". A lenghty bus ride to a river. But, the trip down the river on the bamboo rafts was calm, peaceful, and AMAZING!

We have found that you may have better "luck" taking a private/independent tour rather than a ship's tour. The private tour oeprator are usually open to changing an itinerary or making extra stops due to your kids.

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

We've been to all three ports several times with our young kids--who are currently ages 6 and 8. These are the things we have done:

GC--1) Private tour hitting the Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingrays. Best tour EVER, as we had a whole boat to ourselves for the rays. WOW!!! 2) Caught a shuttle bus right at the pier to Sea Grape Beach. Great beautiful beach with covered pavilions.

Cozumel--1) Paradise Beach, many times. Always a good experience, with water toys, nice beach, food/drink for a fee. Changing areas a plus too. 2) We plan on renting a car to drive the perimeter of the island to stop at random beaches and the local ruins.

Ocho Rios--1) Private tour to Fern Gully, Dunn's River, where we did not climb the falls. We took the stairs to the bottom where there is anice beach area. TOur also included a stop at the botanical gardens. 2) Ship tour called "Rafting on the Martha Brae". A lenghty bus ride to a river. But, the trip down the river on the bamboo rafts was calm, peaceful, and AMAZING!

We have found that you may have better "luck" taking a private/independent tour rather than a ship's tour. The private tour oeprator are usually open to changing an itinerary or making extra stops due to your kids.

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

This is the exact route we took when my DD was 5...!! :p:D and my DS was 12.........They are now 9 and 16 and want to go back again...........:rolleyes:

Hi CeleBrat and floridagirl68.. I wanted to ask how you booked your Dunn's falls tour in Ocho Rios? And how were your kids? Did they do the climb? And if so, how old were they? My son is 5yo. Thanks.

We booked a combo tour privately (not thru the cruiseline) that covered Dunn's, Fern Gully, and a botanical garden. I beleive we booked thru Marva Shaw, whose info can be found over on the Jamaica board.

Since our kids were 4 and 6, we opted not to climb the falls. Rather, we took the picturesque staircase climb to the bottom, where there was a beach. Fun!

Here are a few pics from our day:

Stairs DOWN the waterfall

IMG_1697.jpg

Beach at the bottom

IMG_1717.jpg

In case you were wondering about the falls--they are quite strong, as you can see from the pic. I climbed them once 15 years ago, and remember that it was not easy!

IMG_1701.jpg

Botanical gardens--spent about an hour there:

DSCF0021.jpg

More botanical gardens--super pretty.

DSCF0028.jpg

At the end of the tour, we requested to be dropped off at the nearby mall area. Can't remember what it was called. But, it was an outdoor mall-type place with restaurants and shops. We ate at Margaritaville, and played on their beach too.

Hope that helps!

CeleBrat

Hi CeleBrat and floridagirl68.. I wanted to ask how you booked your Dunn's falls tour in Ocho Rios? And how were your kids? Did they do the climb? And if so, how old were they? My son is 5yo. Thanks.
We used Jamaica cruise excursions (aka Island Marketing ltd) I *think* they also do tours in Grand Caymen as well.

My DD and I did not climb the falls but my DH and DS did. It looked too much for my then 5 year old....!

I would recommend Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman as well. Although Turtle Farm was a little pricey from what I remember if you wanted to swim and do all of the experiences there.

Another thing to consider is the Sea World Explorer - a semi-submerged submarine. We went when DD was younger and everyone of all ages seemed to enjoy it. We booked thru Atlantis right on the docks.

As far as Cozumel is concerned, I'm not sure what to recommend. We went horseback riding, to El Cedral (which I don't recommend to anyone because it is very small, as is San Gervasio) for cave exploring, etc. Perhaps a visit to Chankanaab Park to swim with dolphins? It's much cheaper here than at Discovery Cove.

While my DD was considerably older the first time we cruised but we have had children in the 4 - 6 age range on excursions who seemed to be having a lot of fun:

The first was the submarine (Atlantis?) in Cozumel. The biggest challenge was climbing down the ladder into the sub (more adults had issues than the kids). The boy seated next to me told me he could not wait to tell his teacher about his trip - I still remember his excitment 3 years later - it was contageous to everyone around. He was in Kindergarten ( 5 -6 ). He was having a wonderful time seeing the fish, reef, divers, and watching the colors disappear from the light spectrum. He was also very proud of his certificate at the end. We booked this though Disney but I know they also do some non-cruise groups also. The boat ride out to the sub was fun also. We also spent a great day a Paradise Beach (We would love to go back again). There were a lot of families with younger children who seemed to be having fun - I am not certain it would have been the right place for us when DD was 5. I know there is a new spot may cruisers are mentioning with a playground for the kids. I think Crusinmama's Liberty review mentions it.

We did an island tour/turtle farm/hell/sting ray city with Native Way - there was a boy who had just turned 5. He was bored with a lot of the island tour but enjoyed the turtle farm and our guide at Stingray City helped him into the water. I would only suggest going into the water if your child can swim. I don't spend much time in the water but love the boat ride. I know the turtle farm has expanded so that may be a whole day. We have also done the Sting Rays and Rum Point Beach - which is beautiful.

We climbed Mayfield Falls in Jamacia . I would not suggest climbing any falls for a 5 year old - my DD was 11 at the time and IMHO the minimum age for that type of activity. It is a lot more difficult than it looks and the water was very powerful in a few places.

same as mamaparrothead i think in GC.....

Nativeways tours. awesome crew, smaller boat. very friendly. we had our boys 5and 15months. the boys could move about and not worry about upsetting others. much more relaxed as we had more time to explore every where we went as our group was smaller.

rum point beach was awesome. nice sand and shade and water was very warm and shallow. we were the only "tour" on the beach that day too which was awesome!

We went there. Only paid for entrance $16 per adult, nothing for our 4 year old. We do dolphins during our Disney cruise and we had just come Belize where were we snorkeled and did the stingray alley.

Chankanaab was great for a rest. There is a fairly long beach with umbrellas, chairs, restaurants and beach service of food and beverage. But the best part -- for those with young children, is a lagoon that is formed by the money bar -- off Chankanaab beach is a small reef. The beach around the lagoon is filled with families. Playground across the sidewalk, that you can easily see from you lounge chair. Kids were coming back and forth from playground to the lagoon where there were many tidal pools filled with sea urchins and sea slugs. Fish, clams. They had the best time. The lagoon is only about 2 feet deep at most. Easy snorkeling. We had own equipment but they have packages.

When we were in a couple of those ports with the kids (ages 4 and 6 at the time). We did a day at a beach resort in Cozumel. Not very adventurous, but it was fun. Nice food, beach toys, and relaxing.

In GC we took a bus to 7 mile beach and also did one of the semi submersible submarine tours. The kids were a bit nervous to snorkel (they were kinda afraid of the fish) so this was perfect. Saw lots of fish and some ship wrecks.

Booked both on the ship.

I would recommend Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman as well. Although Turtle Farm was a little pricey from what I remember if you wanted to swim and do all of the experiences there.

Another thing to consider is the Sea World Explorer - a semi-submerged submarine. We went when DD was younger and everyone of all ages seemed to enjoy it. We booked thru Atlantis right on the docks.

As far as Cozumel is concerned, I'm not sure what to recommend. We went horseback riding, to El Cedral (which I don't recommend to anyone because it is very small, as is San Gervasio) for cave exploring, etc. Perhaps a visit to Chankanaab Park to swim with dolphins? It's much cheaper here than at Discovery Cove.

Hello.. Thanks for posting.. This submarine sounds fun.. So we can book through Atlantis you say? How would we get there from the port? Do we have to set up our own transpo or is there some sort of shuttle? Do you remember how much it was and how long it took? Thanks

When my DD was a 5 yo, we actually rented a house in Jamaica for 2 weeks (fantastic!). We did climb Dunn's River Falls, with her and her 5 yo friend included. They both scampered up like little monkeys! IMHO, it is the adults that have a harder time with the falls! If you decide on the falls, there are many people climbing and they all hold hands so it is one long chain. Plus, there are many guides along the way and, when needed, just pick you up by the arms and drop you down on the next level up. The kids had so much fun they actually wanted to continue up the more difficult portion. That's when we had to put our foot down and call an end to the climb.

As for Grand Cayman, my DD was turned 4 on that cruise. We just went down to Seven Mile Beach. My advice - keep walking up the beach from the entry point where the tour drops you off. That first little portion of sand is so crowded its unattractive. We wound up walking quite a ways up the beach, but found a lovely spot with shade and sun and (most importantly) no people!

Cozumel was the same cruise and we just went shopping down the main strip and then we went to one of the beach clubs (sorry, can't remember the name) and just played in the sand and surf.

ok.. So we've decided:

Cozumel: the Dolphin Encounter through dolphin discovery in Cozumel. It comes with the park entrance afterwards so I guess we'll spend the rest of the day there. We were thinking about doing the atlantis submarine after but that might be too much in a day? what do you think?

Grand Cayman: hanging out at 7 mile beach.. although can't decide just yet whether we'll be at Royal Palms or Sea Grape.. comments.. please help me decide???

Ocho Rios: Definitely the Dunn River Falls.. I guess we'll just decide to see if we want to climb up or not when we get there.. BTW, Thanks for posting pictures of those stairs on the side.. that makes me feel so much more comforted. We are going through Marva as I've read many great things about her.. One question please.. for anyone that's done this.. we're deciding between Mahogany Beach or the Coyaba River Gardens tour. These are choices that are the combo tours with the Falls...

Thanks again for all the responses.. hopefully, I can hear a little bit more about your experiences. :)

Archived