Traveling times between Parishes

beyondblonde

Will be in Bermuda in August...8AM-5PM cruise time.

Our plan is as follows:

ü FERRY TO HAMILTON: 20 minutes. $13 all day pass back and forth.

ü Crystal Cave in Hamilton Parish (open 9-5)

ü Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (Crow Lane, daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.) IN Hamilton capital, Pembroke Parish $12.50/pp

ü Horseshoe Bay in Southhampton Parish

We are wondering how much time to allot between traveling to each Parish, especially since we gotta get back from Southhampton to Hamiltion to re-board the ferry and get back to the cruise ship on time.

ADVICE APPRECIATED :)

Will be in Bermuda in August...8AM-5PM cruise time.

Our plan is as follows:

üFERRY TO HAMILTON: 20 minutes. $13 all day pass back and forth.

üCrystal Cave in Hamilton Parish (open 9-5)

üBermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (Crow Lane, daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.) IN Hamilton capital, Pembroke Parish $12.50/pp

üHorseshoe Bay in Southhampton Parish

We are wondering how much time to allot between traveling to each Parish, especially since we gotta get back from Southhampton to Hamiltion to re-board the ferry and get back to the cruise ship on time.

ADVICE APPRECIATED :)

The Bus schedule is posted on the first thread on this page. You can look at the times(the biggest thing is the wait time between buses- remember schedules are approximate-they leave on time from the terminals and sometimes are a little early or a little late).

I would recommend a change however. I personally would do the Bermuda Underwater Ex first after getting off the Ferry in Hamilton. That way when you finish with the Crystal Caves(which is out toward St George you come back to Hamilton and leave directly from the Bus station to Horseshoe).

I would think it would take about 25-30 minutes to get to the Caves From Hamilton. About 20 minutes from Hamilton to Horseshoe and about 40 minutes from Horseshoe back to the ship by bus...

BTW this says the caves open at 9:30

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_crystal_caves.html

here are the bus schedules also

http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt?space=Opener&parentname=CommunityPage&control=OpenObject&in_hi_OpenerMode=2&in_hi_ClassID=512&in_hi_ObjectID=252

The Bus schedule is posted on the first thread on this page. You can look at the times(the biggest thing is the wait time between buses- remember schedules are approximate-they leave on time from the terminals and sometimes are a little early or a little late).

I would recommend a change however. I personally would do the Bermuda Underwater Ex first after getting off the Ferry in Hamilton. That way when you finish with the Crystal Caves(which is out toward St George you come back to Hamilton and leave directly from the Bus station to Horseshoe).

I would think it would take about 25-30 minutes to get to the Caves From Hamilton. About 20 minutes from Hamilton to Horseshoe and about 40 minutes from Horseshoe back to the ship by bus...

BTW this says the caves open at 9:30

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_crystal_caves.html

here are the bus schedules also

http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt?space=Opener&parentname=CommunityPage&control=OpenObject&in_hi_OpenerMode=2&in_hi_ClassID=512&in_hi_ObjectID=252

The later one gets to the caves, the longer one waits at the caves to get in. And it could be a long wait. That is a reason the do the caves first.

If I were to recommend a change it would be to skip the underwater institute. But that is only because I personally don't like it.

The other person does not exactly say but I guess they are docking at the Dockyard? My preferred routing on buses and ferries from the Dockyard, if they are going on a weekday when the ferry to St. George is running would be to take the ferry to St. George, take a walk through St. George to see it and then and take the bus to the Caves from there. Then I would take the bus to Hamilton from the caves. Check out Front Street Hamilton and then the Underwater Institute if one must, then the bus to Horseshoe. And the bus again the rest of the way back to the Dockyard.

To further confuse the issue, if I were in Bermuda only for one day I would take taxis between all those locations, not buses and ferries to optimize my time.

Have to agree with Charles at some level. Spending a thousand dollars or more to get to Bermuda and then spending a third of your time there on a bus to save a hundred seems like something worth consideration. The question is how much time you save with taxis over buses when they have to share the same road.

Your plan will have to flex if you're late getting off the ship, or the mad rush of a shipload of people trying to get someplace slows you down from the start.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, as I want to maximize our time St. George's for the day (which happens to be a Saturday). If we ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton, how much should I expect to pay each way for a taxi between Hamilton and St George's?

I'm having the same issue, as I want to maximize our time St. George's for the day (which happens to be a Saturday). If we ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton, how much should I expect to pay each way for a taxi between Hamilton and St George's?

Hamilton is roughly 10-12 miles from St. George. The first mile for 1-4 people is $5.75 and each additional mile is $2.00 then add on tip.

about $30-35. including tip....

Have to agree with Charles at some level. Spending a thousand dollars or more to get to Bermuda and then spending a third of your time there on a bus to save a hundred seems like something worth consideration. The question is how much time you save with taxis over buses when they have to share the same road.

Your plan will have to flex if you're late getting off the ship, or the mad rush of a shipload of people trying to get someplace slows you down from the start.

I have done a day with taxi service and a day with the bus and ferry---go the taxi route. We now only use the bus and ferry if we are docked in Bermuda for a few days. Then, the bus and ferry can be interesting.

Archived