Questions about Pacific Sun cabins

Hi. I’m on a Pacific Sun cruise to Noumea, Lifou and Vila in April. Have been reading through all the past postings (as far back as July 2008!) and gathered a lot of very useful information about what to take, shore excursions and so on. So much information that I only have a couple of very minor questions, if anyone who has previously travelled on Pacific Sun is kind enough to supply an answer.

1. Someone mentioned that the hairdryers are rather feeble. Are they the sort that is attached to the wall (which are indeed feeble) or are they separate?

2. I like to read in bed, but DH does not. Do the reading lights I see in the cabin pictures work well for reading or are they bright enough to light up the whole cabin and disturb your fellow traveller? (In which case I will take a booklight.)

3. Did anyone take their own pillows? Do you need to?

Appreciate your feedback, am trying to cut down on what I pack.:)

Emma, hairdryers are the ones attached to the wall. The lights are dim enough to not really effect the person beside you. The telly is brighter!! I don't extra pillows, but you could ask your steward for extra if you need.

Kerri

Thanks for the prompt reply, Kezza. Those wall-mounted hairdryers are pretty feeble, usually. Might have to make do though - don't want to take too much. Glad to hear that the reading lights would not disturb someone else - but if they are more feeble than the TV (:)) I might have to take a booklight, so my ageing eyes can see! I may take a pillow if I can compress one, more as a hygiene thing. (I know the steward would bring extra). Last year we did a long river cruise in Europe and almost everyone on the ship got the flu. After hearing the sound of coughing into pillows all night from all the other cabins I decided I might take my own pillow travelling in future, hah ha....

My wife takes her pillow everywhere!

Even to hotels and on cruises?

who am I to argue?

We put it in a roll up type vacume bag and it takes up next to no room when air is expelled.

Actualy we use vacume bags for everything as your cloths do not crease.

We then use some of them for dirty laundry when going home.

Den

My wife takes her pillow everywhere!... We put it in a roll up type vacume bag and it takes up next to no room when air is expelled. Den

Your wife is very wise, and I will follow her lead and compress the pillow. (Although those bags don't always work so well for me, they seem to gradually lose their compression.)

I too have never had any success with the vacuum bags. I tried them for my linen cupboard but after a day the air seeped back into them.

I never thought about all the sickness on ships to be worried about pillows, looks like I will be putting them on my list next time.

No, ha ha. :) :) Only Aussies get it.. I am getting very fond of it though, much more interesting than my real name!

I got it the first time! My husband uses some of these Strine expressions too.:):) For non-Strine speakers, "Emma Chisit" means "How much is it?"

Evon.

I too have never had any success with the vacuum bags. I tried them for my linen cupboard but after a day the air seeped back into them. I never thought about all the sickness on ships to be worried about pillows, looks like I will be putting them on my list next time.

Glad I'm not the only one who is vacuum bag challenged. Sorry to give you another thing to worry about when travelling, ie pillow hygiene. Given some of the places I've stayed in during my years of travelling I really shouldn't be so precious.:)

I got it the first time! My husband uses some of these Strine expressions too.:):) For non-Strine speakers, "Emma Chisit" means "How much is it?"

Evon.

Ha well done, was surprised it was available as a user name actually. Gotta love the Strine. Decades ago I was a teacher in an International School overseas and the American kids accused the Aussies at the school of speaking a secret language because we spoke so fast in Strine.

• 1 month later...
No, ha ha. :) :) Only Aussies get it.. I am getting very fond of it though, much more interesting than my real name!

So funny. Sorry I didn't see your replied when you posted it.

As you had just posted on another topic, i remembered I had asked you that questions so searched for the post.

Thank you for your reply.

We had Italians staying with us a while back and that was a bit of a joke for them. They went back teaching all their friends how to say it

BTW have you done your pacific sun cruise, did you take the bags or pillows with you?

Hi kaseyoz. Yes, just back on Saturday. Had terrific weather, writing a review now. Did take the pillow, glad I did as those supplied were a bit lumpy. Wished I had taken a reading light as the one in the cabin was very dim for these ageing eyes. Going to check out happyaussies suggestion -the adjustable reading light - for next cruise (Star Princess, San Francisco to Sydney in September). Thanks happyaussies!

Hi kaseyoz. Yes, just back on Saturday. Had terrific weather, writing a review now. Did take the pillow, glad I did as those supplied were a bit lumpy. Wished I had taken a reading light as the one in the cabin was very dim for these ageing eyes. Going to check out happyaussies suggestion -the adjustable reading light - for next cruise (Star Princess, San Francisco to Sydney in September). Thanks happyaussies!

Glad the weather was kind to you. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Archived