Volcano viewing?

Yes, got back on the 20th of Feb. On the day we left Kona, the last Island day, we cruised past the lava flow. We were told that it would happen about 11:30 pm, but in reality we made it quite a bit later, probably closer to 1am. It was worth it staying up so late, fairly spectacular and interesting. We were told that it was less than it had been the year before when there were 5 sort of fingers of lava flowing. Still, it was interesting. If you have a balcony room on the port side that is probably the best viewing. We waited in the Crow's Nest, where they had a big party going on, then went out onto the deck outside of the Crow's Nest once we got closer.

On the previous cruise (Jan.21-Feb.5), we sailed past the lava flow around 9:30PM at night. We had our first stop (port) in Hilo and were on our way to Kona. They don't always follow the same itinerary. So, if you have Hilo, then Kona, on your itinerary, and have a starboard balcony cabin, you can watch from there. It was REALLY crowded by the rear pool after the late dinner seating. It was also the fastest we'd ever been served on the whole trip (in by 8PM...out by 9PM).

On our December cruise we went past the lava at about 7 PM and we had very good views of it from our starboard veranda. The Captain said he got the closest in many cruises - within 1/2 mile from the coast. It was very exciting. We could see the lava hit the water and see the sparks fly.

Have binoculars available for an even better view!

Yes, got back on the 20th of Feb. On the day we left Kona, the last Island day, we cruised past the lava flow. We were told that it would happen about 11:30 pm, but in reality we made it quite a bit later, probably closer to 1am. It was worth it staying up so late, fairly spectacular and interesting. We were told that it was less than it had been the year before when there were 5 sort of fingers of lava flowing. Still, it was interesting. If you have a balcony room on the port side that is probably the best viewing. We waited in the Crow's Nest, where they had a big party going on, then went out onto the deck outside of the Crow's Nest once we got closer.

Confused. I was on the same cruise, but saw the volcano at about 11:15. DD says I'm right on the time. It seemed very far away, so we should have had binocculars. We were in the Crows Nest and they dimmed the lights and turned off the music while the volcano was in view. I had been looking forward to it, but it was so distant that it wasn't worthwhile.

The volcano viewing was the only negative of the cruise. It was poorly announced. The change of time was announced only at the late show. Those of us waiting in the Crows Nest could get little information from anyone. Several of the cruise staff were involved there in a loud (music) and poorly attended Valentines party. Those who were waiting for the volcano were mostly ignored even though if had been suggested we view from the Crows Nest.

Confused. I was on the same cruise, but saw the volcano at about 11:15. DD says I'm right on the time. It seemed very far away, so we should have had binocculars. We were in the Crows Nest and they dimmed the lights and turned off the music while the volcano was in view. I had been looking forward to it, but it was so distant that it wasn't worthwhile.

The volcano viewing was the only negative of the cruise. It was poorly announced. The change of time was announced only at the late show. Those of us waiting in the Crows Nest could get little information from anyone. Several of the cruise staff were involved there in a loud (music) and poorly attended Valentines party. Those who were waiting for the volcano were mostly ignored even though if had been suggested we view from the Crows Nest.

Hi Jemima...you just probably left too early. They did say that we would be there by 11 or so....and could see it WAY in the distance at that time. Much later, probably closer to 1am we went by it. The Crows Nest, at least were we were sitting was packed. Then we went outside and watched (it was freezing for sure). We did have binoculars...eventually they did get closer...nowhere near 11 though.

No, we were in the Crows Nest when they dimmed the lights and quieted the music. It might have been later than I thought. It was way later than any of the announced times. Anyway we did at least get to see it and did also get to the Volcanoes National Park earlier in the cruise. It is probably better outside on the deck where there is no window glare or reflection.

Volcano Viewing

This is not the volcano you meant, but I couldn't resist. Our first day at sea was a big surprise as we passed Stromboli. What a sight:

323058871_CkKUe-L.jpg

No lava flow at night like you were viewing, but we enjoyed the view.

Pete

I'm with Jemima on this one Jill, we were playing texas holdem and left the poker table around 11:10 pm.. we sailed past at approximately 11:30.. my husband videotaped the whole thing.. it was blowing like crazy outside, and Kanoa (the speaker) was doing the prayer thing as we sailed by.. it took about a 1/2 hour, but we couldn't stand the cold any longer..I remember walking back in to the table at midnight or close to it..

Either way.. I felt we were so far away to really see anything other then a big orange blob.. thankfully, when we viewed the tape on the video, my husband zoomed in, so it wasn't until we got home that I really got the view..lol

But, I'm sure on a nice clear, warm evening.. it would be spectacular :)

Archived