Holy Land?

justfoxie

Hi all, my mom has expressed an interest in doing a Mediterranean cruise and in particular wants one that goes to the Holy Land (Isreal & Egypt) too. So far I've found two itineraries, one on Princess and on on Azamara. Surely there must be others though, but my google-fu hasn't turned anything else up. Any ideas? Would also love to hear experiences of anyone who has done one of these cruises.

This past November, we cruised from Rome to Athens with stops in Alexandria and Port Said Egypt, Ashdod and Haifia Israel on the Pacific Princess. It was a wonderful cruise and we especially like the small 680 Passenger ship. We find Princess to be a good middle of the road line, with decent prices and services to match. I believe Royal Carribean, Azamara, Oceania and Norwegian Cruise Lines also offer cruises to this area. Check each of their web sites for exact information. It is a trip you will not regret.

Carol

We investigated cruises to Israel and Egypt--looked at Celebrity, Azamara, Princess and Oceania...

Ended up deciding on Oceania for two reasons--

The itinerary worked best with our vacation time window...and, more importantly--

We love the itinerary...It's just a bit more exotic than the ones offered by Princess or Celebrity (and chose it even though we really enjoy Celebrity, as a cruise line, more than Oceania)...

Of course, Oceania has a lot going for it--

Small ship with only 684 passengers on board...

Great Food...

No formal nights...

Elegant atmosphere...

But, the key for us was the itinerary:

1 Barcelona, Spain 8:00PM

2 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

3 La Goulette, Tunisia 8:00AM to 4:00PM

4 Valletta, Malta 8:00AM to 6:00PM

5 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

6 Aghios Nikolaos (Crete), Greece 8:00AM to 2:00PM

7 Alexandria, Egypt 12:00PM to 7:00PM

8 Cairo (Port Said), Egypt 6:00AM to 8:00PM

9 Ashdod, Israel 6:00AM to 10:00PM

10 Haifa, Israel 6:00AM to 8:00PM

11 Limassol, Cyprus 8:00AM to 6:00PM

12 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

13 Kusadasi, Turkey 8:00AM to 2:00PM

14 Istanbul, Turkey 12:00PM

15 Istanbul, Turkey

So many really interesting ports...

We're on the June 27 sailing, but they do the same trip on August 9 and October 31 as well...

Thanks all - really appreciate your insights. We're cruising with Princess in June, so will probably wait until after that experience to narrow things down further - we're aiming for a 2010 sailing, ideally in the autumn (our birthdays are both in September, so it might be a fun joint b-day trip). I do really like the idea of much smaller ships though.

Absolutely the best advice I can give you is to find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate. A question such as you ask is exactly what they are trained and equipped to do.

We had a wonderful cruise to Israel and Egypt. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

• 1 year later...
We investigated cruises to Israel and Egypt--looked at Celebrity, Azamara, Princess and Oceania...

Ended up deciding on Oceania for two reasons--

The itinerary worked best with our vacation time window...and, more importantly--

We love the itinerary...It's just a bit more exotic than the ones offered by Princess or Celebrity (and chose it even though we really enjoy Celebrity, as a cruise line, more than Oceania)...

Of course, Oceania has a lot going for it--

Small ship with only 684 passengers on board...

Great Food...

No formal nights...

Elegant atmosphere...

But, the key for us was the itinerary:

1 Barcelona, Spain 8:00PM

2 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

3 La Goulette, Tunisia 8:00AM to 4:00PM

4 Valletta, Malta 8:00AM to 6:00PM

5 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

6 Aghios Nikolaos (Crete), Greece 8:00AM to 2:00PM

7 Alexandria, Egypt 12:00PM to 7:00PM

8 Cairo (Port Said), Egypt 6:00AM to 8:00PM

9 Ashdod, Israel 6:00AM to 10:00PM

10 Haifa, Israel 6:00AM to 8:00PM

11 Limassol, Cyprus 8:00AM to 6:00PM

12 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

13 Kusadasi, Turkey 8:00AM to 2:00PM

14 Istanbul, Turkey 12:00PM

15 Istanbul, Turkey

So many really interesting ports...

We're on the June 27 sailing, but they do the same trip on August 9 and October 31 as well...

Hi Steve,

What did you end up doing in Limassol? any suggestions... Been searching and can't find much.

Thanks Trish

Hi Steve,

What did you end up doing in Limassol? any suggestions... Been searching and can't find much.

Thanks Trish

Trish,

Limassol was tough...

I found only one somewhat questionable recommendation on a private guide, but the guy seemed a little flaky--like not responding to emails...So we decided to just do a shore excursion--"Pafos & Kourion"...It was okay...a lot of tile mosaic floors...Pafos is on the coast, Kourion up on a cliff...included lunch in Pafos...Lacking anything else to do, it's probably as good a choice as any...

Good luck...

Thanks, I guess we will just wing it. I'm usually so organized but I just can't find much.

Was there any place to just walk to or would we need a taxi?

I don't recall much of anything around the port...of course, being on a shorex, we just went where they took us...Pafos would require a taxi...

Archived