Ncl

Cruisin Around

Hi!

We have been on 3 cruises so far - 1 Celeb & 2 RCI. Lately the cruise prices of those two lines have been extremely high and I stumbled on to NCL's site and the prices are about a third of RCI's. Can someone give me an experience of NCL's - specifically with a 2.5 year old toddler who travels well. The Majesty seems to be a ship that's coming up a lot because of the ports that are close to us.

Thanks!

We enjoyed our trip on the NCL Gem last year with 2 toddlers (2 & 4). I think the Majesty is an older ship/soon to be retired so make sure you read up on it before booking. The freestyle dining and casual dress were very nice when traveling with little ones. My kids really enoyed the activities in the Kids Club!

We enjoyed our trip on the NCL Gem last year with 2 toddlers (2 & 4). I think the Majesty is an older ship/soon to be retired so make sure you read up on it before booking. The freestyle dining and casual dress were very nice when traveling with little ones. My kids really enoyed the activities in the Kids Club!

did the same thing last year with a 2 year old and loved it. would do it again in a heartbeat

There is a thread on the NCL board that talks about the Majesty. It's titled "Scared and Upset" and the OP cancelled a trip on Majesty thinking that her family wouldn't like it. There are some posts with posistive things to say about the ship. You might want to post over there and see if anyone has experience with kids specificall on Majesty. Good luck!

Haven't traveled on the NCL Majesty, but did take a trip in a suite on the Norwegian Sea before it was retired. YIKES! Old ship alert! That taught us to avoid old ships always!!!! The Majesty is an older ship, and we wouldn't book it no matter what the price.

That being said, we have traveled on the NCL Star to Alaska and NCL Gem to the Mediterranean, and had a great time on both. On the Alaksa trip, the kids were 2 and 4, respectively. LOVED their freestyle dining, and the need to NOT have to take any formal wear at all for the week. Fun decor on the ships, and the kids clubs usually have a jungle gym or ball pit within. Fun!

Check out my reveiw of the GEM. Link in my signature.

CeleBrat

If you are looking at a NCL ship for children avoid the 3 oldest; Majesty, Sun, & Sky. At your child's age the NCL ships with the kid's only pool & hot tub areas would be great; Spirit, Star, & Dawn. All of the other newer NCL ships would also be good, they just would not have the water parks.

The Dawn travels out of New York City during the summer going to Bermuda. See my signature for links to the official Cruise Critic group cruise on the Dawn leaving June 7th. The Dawn has a dinosaur themed water park; photo at this web site:

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/709/72/dawn_ame_kids_pool_web.jpg

As mentioned earlier with Freestyle dining you can eat at any time, including 24/7 in the Blue Lagoon. Plus on sea days the Kid's Club is open from 9 AM to 10:30 PM, with no closure times for meals. DS was in NCL Kid's Club at 4 and would not want to leave until closing time. Back then that was 10 PM, but now the no cost time is until 10:30 PM. Also Kid's Club opens within a hour of leaving a port.

I would agree with the post above, the Gem and the Dawn are great for kids, we took our toddlers on them and they loved both. The Dawn has the big kids pool area, just make sure they are potty trained to be allowed in the pool. I would check on the reviews of the Majesty if it is easier for you to get to. Just remember that it is an older ship with less of the new cool things that the Gem has. I have pics and reviews of the Gem and the Dawn for more information.

Have fun!

We've sailed the Dawn 3 times (4th time this coming June) with our 2 kids. Our DD was 2 when we first sailed. Obviously, we all loved it because we keep going back! Now, she's 6 and can't wait for our next cruise! NCL is great for kids (and adults, too!).

• 2 weeks later...

The Majesty is a older ship, they have a wonderful crew that has gone above and beyond on both the cruises we have been on. So much that we will be going out again on 4/4. In December we went out as a family, my parents, his parents and the 3 of us. Our son was not 2 yeat so we had to keep him with us since he could not go to camp, but they did set up a play area where he could play. They start kids camp @ 2. Camp is free when the ship is out to sea, the hours vary. On port days, it is $5 an hour. They will not change diapers or pull ups so if child is not potty trained 1 adult must stay onboard to handle that.

The newer ships have the kids' buffet, too, which is great. Kid-friendly food (though lacking in veggies!) and my kids love the little kid-sized chairs. Oh, and apple juice all day.

I agree with the kids food selection, we put the kids in the small chairs and table and I went to the regular buffet and made them plates (with veggies!). So they really enjoyed their "small" restaurant.

Archived