New to NCL........ Dawn to Bermuda

Sushi

We have 5 RCCI cruises under our belts, we're looking at the Dawn out of NY to Bermuda, May 2010................. Any advice, hints, pro's and/or con's? It's been ten years since our last cruise, I know a lot has changed since then, I'm feeling like a cruise new-be. :confused:

I dont have any information other than polls and reviews on this thread, I can tell you from the outcome of the polls, you seem to have chosen a great vacation, dawn is one of the favorite ships, bermuda is a favorite port

I dont have any information other than polls and reviews on this thread, I can tell you from the outcome of the polls, you seem to have chosen a great vacation, dawn is one of the favorite ships, bermuda is a favorite port

You can't go wrong sailing NCL's best ship (Norwegian Dawn) to the best island (Bermuda).

Engine 42 (Retired)

We have 5 RCCI cruises under our belts, we're looking at the Dawn out of NY to Bermuda, May 2010................. Any advice, hints, pro's and/or con's? It's been ten years since our last cruise, I know a lot has changed since then, I'm feeling like a cruise new-be.

Since you live in Massachusetts, have you looked at the NCL Spirit out of Boston to Bermuda?

We are going to be going on it this August. It would have been SO MUCH EASIER if we picked the Dawn out of New York, BUT, the Spirit itinerary gives you one extra day in Bermuda, and, since we LOVE BERMUDA, that is the ship for us.....!!!:D

Check it out, maybe that is something you did not think about or notice.

DayPortArriveDepartFri Boston -4:00 PMSat At Sea--Sun King's Wharf 11:00 AMOvernightMon King's Wharf -OvernightTue King's Wharf -OvernightWed King's Wharf -6:00 AMThu At Sea--Fri Boston 8:00 AM-

DayPortArriveDepartSun New York City -4:00 PMMon At Sea--Tue At Sea--Wed King's Wharf 8:00 AMOvernightThu

Fri King's Wharf Disembark

-Overnight

5:00 PMSat At Sea--Sun New York City 8:00 AM-

I wouldn't worry to much about not having cruised in ten years. Yes, ships have gotten bigger and there are more bells and whistles, but, it is essentially still the same thing.

One thing about NCL, you won't have to pack "Formal Wear" for Dinner like you need on Royal Carribean or Holland America, etc. You just need "Resort Casual". You know, nice clothes you would wear to a nice summer party. (not like you are going to a hot dog and keg party.....)

We have been on five NCL cruises and soon our sixth. We LOVE NCL.....!!! (We also LOVE Holland America!!!)

I reccomend that you do some "homework" and read ALL that you can on both ships, here on Cruise Critic.

Use the "Search This Forum", that is under the page numbers when you open up to the Norwegian Cruise Line Board:

newthread.gif

Page 1 of 151

2311>Last »menu_open.gif

Cruise Forum : Norwegian Cruise LineForum Tools menu_open.gifSearch this Forum menu_open.gif

And, just post any questions you may have too......

Help me understand how Boston cruises allow one more day in Bermuda? :confused:

According to NCL.com The ship arrives at Bermuda at 11:00 on Sunday (three hours later than the NY cruise) and leave on Wednesday at 6:00 AM. That would give you roughly the same amount of time or perhaps, slightly less.

That would give less time than the NY cruise on the Dawn.

Thank you all for taking the time to help. We had considered the Spirit out of Boston.....have many relatives that live in or around Boston who would have been happy to take us to and pick us up from our cruise.......but my DH and I have been eyeing the Dawn for a couple of years and I would like to see Miss Liberty again, last time was our first cruise in 1988 to Bermuda on the Nordic Prince, 17,000 gts (no longer with RCCI), it was raining and all I saw was her outline. We plan on making the most of IT during the entire cruise, land and sea.

The fact that the Dawn has a sushi restaurant is a major plus for us. I know where I'll be eating most of the evenings "I hope", any negatives about the restaurants???

Thanks again, soon to be an NCL fan. ;)

My wife and I did this cruise last April on the Dawn and are doing it again this July with our 21 and 16 year old boys. The Dawn is a terrific ship. More laid back than RCCL and somewhat less to do, but it does have a movie theater. and the spa is worth the cost. RCCL has much better food, but the food on NCL is good. Bermuda is the real treat. A great place to go with lots to see and do. Our favorite port. Make sure you get over to St George

Our original choice was 5 day cruise on Explorer of the Seas with two days in Bermuda. Definitely a nicer ship then the Dawn with more to do, but the overall cruise of two days longer with an extra day in Bermuda at a lower cost makes the Dawn an obvious choice. We are looking forward to a great cruise.

BTW, although the Dawn is a terrific ship, we REALLY LIKED the Spirit. That may be our favorite. So those traveling out of Boston, have a great time.

Paul

Well since you are not cruising until 2010, you could also consider Holland America's Veendam out of NYC, which docks in both St. George's and Hamilton. She is a smaller and somewhat older ship, but still lovely, if a fair bit more formal than NCL. Also I think that Celebrity will have the Summit sailing out of Bayonne on 7 nighters to Bermuda in 2010. Celebrity is pretty similar to RCCL was 10 years ago.

You'll love the Dawn and will probably have no problem eating at the sushi bar as often as you want -- we never found it to be too crowded!

We also live in Boston and cruised out of NYC a couple years ago. It was an easy drive to the cruise port (Henry Hudson Pkwy/9A off of 95S), and parking, etc. was all really easy. Plus it is kind of fun to have a 3.5-4 hour drive the morning of the cruise to build the anticipation!!

I'm on the May 31st sailing of the Dawn to Bermuda. From what I can tell its still wide open for people to get on and the prices aren't too bad either. I was on the dawn a few years ago and it was the time of my life.

Yes! I will admit that it was my ONLY cruise experience, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about a meal time or where I'm going to be when. In fact, the cruise that I was on was with my younger brother's high school band (who had to be at certain meals at certain times simply to deal with their performance schedule) and I never ran into a problem with anything.

The ship is amazing and there is never a shortage of something to do on her. If you choose the Dawn simply for seeing NYC and Lady Liberty you will be more than happy with all of the extra that you will get once you are on her and out at sea.

Help me understand how Boston cruises allow one more day in Bermuda? :confused:

According to NCL.com The ship arrives at Bermuda at 11:00 on Sunday (three hours later than the NY cruise) and leave on Wednesday at 6:00 AM. That would give you roughly the same amount of time or perhaps, slightly less.

That would give less time than the NY cruise on the Dawn.

I stand corrected.....:o

You ARE correct about the time difference with the Dawn versus the Spirit.

When I booked this cruise last year, we were already booked on the Majesty in October, then my DD wanted to cruise with us, so I had to change ships and in my checking out both cruises, I guess I did not "do the math" and see that there was only 10 hour's difference between the two. And, since the Spirit leaves at 6:00am from Bermuda, the two ships are basically even for time in Bermuda.

So, I am now in the process of switching ships for this August.

Even though it will cost quite a bit more, because I am picking a bigger cabin, I believe that the "Pros" will outweigh the extra $$.

The "Pros" being: New York City is only 45 minutes away, a friend can drop us off and pick us up (NO DRIVING 3+ hours!! :)), you can't beat the New York City Skyline for a sailaway :D, my DD will have her own bedroom and bath (which will make her SO HAPPY!!!:D), and, the Dawn is our 2nd favorite ship (the Noordam is the first!!!).

THANK YOU.....!!!

Well since you are not cruising until 2010, you could also consider Holland America's Veendam out of NYC, which docks in both St. George's and Hamilton. She is a smaller and somewhat older ship, but still lovely, if a fair bit more formal than NCL. Also I think that Celebrity will have the Summit sailing out of Bayonne on 7 nighters to Bermuda in 2010. Celebrity is pretty similar to RCCL was 10 years ago.

Pricing is out for Holland American and Celebrity Bermuda cruises. Not sure how NCL prices compare for same time period:

I compared starting prices of Celebrity to Holland America using both websites.

I picked the same sailing date to give a fair comparison... July 25, 2010...

INSIDE:

Celebrity - 1299

HAL - 1049

OCEANVIEW:

Celebrity - 1499

HAL - 1199

BALCONY:

Celebrity - 1819

HAL - 1999

SUITE :

Celebrity - 2949

HAL - 2999