Butler tip question - I'm confused

whatsnext

I've read in a couple of other posts that the butler's tips are not included in the automatically charged to your shipboard account tips. Huh? Is this true? Does that mean that the butler is totally dependent upon the generosity of the guests? Please help, we leave Sat. and this is my first NCL cruise in a suite. The other cruise line suites have always charged the butler's "basic" tip to my onboard account and then whatever we gave him during and at the end of the cruise was extra.

The butler and concierge are definitely NOT included in the daily service charge and they are dependent on tips from their passengers. That being said, I'm sure they hope for a tip in line with services provided, i.e., if you don't use the butler much they probably don't expect much of a tip and vice versa.

The butler and concierge do not participate in the service charge (aka tip) pool. We tip on the last full day of the cruise. The info below is directly from the NCL FAQ site:

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

You are able to go to the front desk and ask them to put a tip for the Butler and the Concierge on your onboard account so you do not have to worry about having cash. As stated by the others, the Butler and Concierge are not a part of the Daily Service Charge that goes to tip the others that make your vacation so wonderful.

I had this discussion on another thread, but I was talking about a Celebrity cruise. They give a recommended "minimum" suggestion, which we always did, and then you tip accordingly for other services as they are performed, which we did. If he/she did a lot for you, you tipped extra at the end of the cruise. That made it SOOO much easier. I mean, really, how do you figure a tip for breakfast when you don't know how much it would have cost? Some poor butlers may work very hard during a cruise and not get a decent tip at the end. That just doesn't seem fair.

Sometimes when we have a special request for our Butler we will tip him/her at the time the service is rendered. Otherwise at the end of the cruise I will have a thank you card with the tip in cash placed inside--or if short on cash will have it put on our onboard acct.

They are not in the tip pool and because we use both services quite extensively we usally leave $20.00per day for each Butler & Concierge.If you don't need or use their services by all means leave whatever you feel comfortable with. We also leave extra for room steward.

I had this discussion on another thread, but I was talking about a Celebrity cruise. They give a recommended "minimum" suggestion, which we always did, and then you tip accordingly for other services as they are performed, which we did. If he/she did a lot for you, you tipped extra at the end of the cruise. That made it SOOO much easier. I mean, really, how do you figure a tip for breakfast when you don't know how much it would have cost? Some poor butlers may work very hard during a cruise and not get a decent tip at the end. That just doesn't seem fair.

You know, it is tricky to figure out. After five NCL cruises, all in "Suites" with a Butler. We have devised a way of figuring out what to give our Butler. I don't know how any one else does it, this is just the way we do it.

We tip by giving all services a $ amount:

Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner Delivery - $5.00 (for 2 people)

Snack Delivery - $5.00 (for 2 people)

DVD Delivery - $3.00

Party Set Up - $25.00

I look at it like this, what do I tip the Pizza or Chinese Delivery guys? For Pizza, I give like 3 or 4 bucks, for Chinese, around 5 or 6 bucks. Depending on how much we order.

You just add up all the times the Butler visited you and your spouse. Say you had Breakfast seven times, snacks, four times, three DVD's and one party (say a Cruise critic get-to-gether:D).

That would come to $89.00, I would round it up to $90.00.

Now, if you are traveling with more than two people, you need to add more, because your butler is schelping around more food.

Like when we cruise with two teenagers!! Our Butler is kept VERY, VERY BUSY with all the Lunches, Snacks and DVD's....!!!:D

I think the last cruise we did with the girls, we tipped our Butler around $200.00. Those girls worked him, they had the cordless phone from the cabin and would call him for all sorts of treats, meals and DVD's......

And, if our Butler was REALLY NICE and treats us very well, I give a little something extra, anywhere from $15.00 to $25.00. Like a "Bonus". Because a really terrific Butler can have a BIG impact on your cruise.

One cruise, our Butler just spoiled the girls. They mentioned how they LOVED chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate covered bananas. Well, he brought a big plate EVERY NIGHT of them for the girls, and at NO EXTRA CHARGE.....!!! WOW....!!!

Just for that, I gave him an extra $50.00. They would have cost us over $100.00 if we were charged....!!!

If you get a great consierge like we just did - Karin on the Sun - you WILL want to give her a nice tip. That girl is a jewel.

We had some problems with our butler. But he did do some things for us, so we did give him a tip - through Karen, since he was not around when we disembarked. It was in an envelope with his name on it.

We also tipped extra for the stewards, they were great.

We also tipped the individuals in Il Adagio that had made our suite breakfast and lunches so special. This was done on an individual basis. It was mostly the same ones anyway.

I tipped the masseuse in the spa over and above the 18%. She was wonderful. I did not feel I had to do it. She was worth it! Wonderful!

Have fun.

We had out first suite last week and never again NOT one! Loved it.

If you get a great consierge like we just did - Karin on the Sun - you WILL want to give her a nice tip. That girl is a jewel.

We had some problems with our butler. But he did do some things for us, so we did give him a tip - through Karen, since he was not around when we disembarked. It was in an envelope with his name on it.

We also tipped extra for the stewards, they were great.

We also tipped the individuals in Il Adagio that had made our suite breakfast and lunches so special. This was done on an individual basis. It was mostly the same ones anyway.

I tipped the masseuse in the spa over and above the 18%. She was wonderful. I did not feel I had to do it. She was worth it! Wonderful!

Have fun.

We had out first suite last week and never again NOT one! Loved it.

Oh Oh---so now you have joined the addicts of the "sweet life". WELCOME:D

DVD Delivery - $3.00Party Set Up - $25.00

That sounds pretty much like what we've done, add to that just coffee, I'll usually tip about $3.00. It's the end of the cruise that concerned me. I usually use Celebrity or Princess and they tell you, $3.50 per day, per person. I guess I'll just use that as a base, continue my tipping when I get "asked for" service, and depending on how much we use him/her, add extra if they were "good." I usually cruise because it's stress free - this has stressed me out, big time! Why can't NCL just be like everybody else and set a "suggested standard?"

DVD Delivery - $3.00Party Set Up - $25.00

That sounds pretty much like what we've done, add to that just coffee, I'll usually tip about $3.00. It's the end of the cruise that concerned me. I usually use Celebrity or Princess and they tell you, $3.50 per day, per person. I guess I'll just use that as a base, continue my tipping when I get "asked for" service, and depending on how much we use him/her, add extra if they were "good." I usually cruise because it's stress free - this has stressed me out, big time! Why can't NCL just be like everybody else and set a "suggested standard?"

Because they want you to be free to....whaterver!

Retiredonthrsea -

Yes, I am officially hooked. It was wonderful.

OMG.. I have been waiting and waiting for you to get back and tell us all about it. How was Antarctica? Will you be posting a full review soon?? I missed you and thought about you often while you were gone hoping you were having a great time.

Terry (and Doug)... That is so nice. I loved it! Antarctica was magical. I loved the act suite. Loved the Sun. Loved it all. Took a million pictures. Spent too much money in port. Will write a review soon, I promise! Right now I am trying to regulate my body clock, catch up on emails and get to the bottom of my in-box at work. And I am shopping the next cruise so I can have one to look forward to!!!

Terry (and Doug)... That is so nice. I loved it! Antarctica was magical. I loved the act suite. Loved the Sun. Loved it all. Took a million pictures. Spent too much money in port. Will write a review soon, I promise! Right now I am trying to regulate my body clock, catch up on emails and get to the bottom of my in-box at work. And I am shopping the next cruise so I can have one to look forward to!!!

DMH15,

Looking foreward to your review as we are doing this on Mar.14th, 2010. We managed to book during the 1/2 sale, plus CAS rate, get the $500.00OBC for booking a suite (a stern AC 9076) and using the old compass rewards. It's going to be the airfare that will kill us. So if you can give us some money saving hints in your review would greatly appreciate it!

I KNEW you would love the Aft. I can't wait to read your review and hopefully you will post your pics some where for us all to see. Again, welcome home. 8-)

Retiredonthesea -

We were in AC9076 and LOVED IT!

I will work on my review this weekend.

Don't forget the PICTURES!!! If you have some of AC9076. I'am curious to see if it's the same as 0065---I keep telling Terry that's our suite, but he claims it belongs to him & Doug.:rolleyes:

Retiredonthesea

Archived