Bringing back liquor from the Grand-Galveston

ricsue

You can bring back as much as you can carry, but anything in excess of the per-person limit might be subject to additional duty at Customs. I believe I have seen it posted that Customs won't bother with anything less than $10 total duty since it costs more to do the paperwork. Typically, the amount of duty amounts to about $1 per bottle, possibly higher if it's really high-end stuff.

I was told on board that liquor purchased in its country of manufacture is not subject to duty.

Ack! This is from the web site posted above, for non-residents of Texas:

1 gallon of distilled spirits or wine (or any combination of the two)

and 24 twelve-ounce containers of beer.

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if this is in fact enforced meticulously at the port. It seems odd that the State of Texas can enact laws that are contrary to federal regulations, particularly in regards to the seizure and destruction of quantities in excess of their rules.

Is it really worth it to buy volumes of stuff in Mexico and then drag it around. I have personally seen people with stuff soaked in alcohol, a bottle broken and a cut arm and of course the number of people that leave their box of stuff on the plane or in the airport. (defeats the savings part in a hurry) I say buy it in the store at home when you get back and enjoy your vacation. I know, I know, some will say it is worth it. And, to each their own.

Ack! This is from the web site posted above, for non-residents of Texas:

1 gallon of distilled spirits or wine (or any combination of the two)

and 24 twelve-ounce containers of beer.

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if this is in fact enforced meticulously at the port. It seems odd that the State of Texas can enact laws that are contrary to federal regulations, particularly in regards to the seizure and destruction of quantities in excess of their rules.

Did you see the one that was for residents? It allows even less for distilled spirits!

1 quart of distilled spirits

3 gallons of wine and

24 twelve-ounce containers of beer.

They sure didn't enforce this in May! I would suspect that since Customs and Immigration are federal employees, they wouldn't be checking too much for state limits, if they even knew they existed.

When we got off on 11-13 they were enforcing this law for Texas residents. I'm not from Texas so I didn't have a problem.

How are they enforcing this? This pretty much prevents Texans from bringing any liquor into the state. They're really only letting Texans bring in a quart of hard liquor? That's not even 1 liter!

Does anyone know if you can bring extra into Texas and pay the tax on it, or is a quart really it? I've never seen this enforced before.

I know when my husband and I went in May we brought home 8 bottles. Customs signed our form and let us go from there. It would suck if they are cracking down harder on this. :mad:

If this is the case, Why sell booze on the ship? I know not all folks are from Texas, but why ? :confused:

I know when my husband and I went in May we brought home 8 bottles. Customs signed our form and let us go from there. It would suck if they are cracking down harder on this. :mad:

If this is the case, Why sell booze on the ship? I know not all folks are from Texas, but why ? :confused:

After farther review the post has been rescinded.

:D:D:D

Scott

Archived