Sunday in St Maarten

ozark74

We are going to be on St. Maarteen on a Sunday. Are any shops in Marigot

open or are they all closed. I read that they were closed but with a cruise

ship in port thought they may open. Thanks

Hi Ozark! I've also read in multiple places that Marigot is pretty closed-up on Sundays, such as this thread. On our 3/14 Summit rollcall, one poster who has been there several times also shared the same insight here. Unfortunately, part of the luck-of-the-draw for being there on a Sunday, plus we are the only ship in port that day. We were there on a Wednesday last time. Most in our rollcall seem to be going to Orient or Maho beaches that day, or an island tour. (Feel free to hop over on the rollcall! We now have over 75 signed up for the Connections party. :) )

We were hoping to return to a little cafe in Marigot, but figure that's out of the question this time. However, last time we really enjoyed Sunset Beach Bar by Maho Beach. Lots of fun watching the planes fly into SXM, and we had looked up the arrival schedule ahead of time to know when the wide-bodies were coming in.

I think the Marigot side is closed as described on Sunday but the side where the ship actually docks should be pretty much business as usual. There should be plenty there to keep the shopper in you occupied. That is really the side that you want for all the duty free stuff. The Marigot side is better for local crafts/trash and trinkets but I don't think they sell anything over there that you couldn't get at another island.

We were in St. Martin Sunday in November 2008. Marigot was pretty much shut down except for a stand selling snacks, sodas, juices etc. Philipsburg was open but was shut down by four o'clock PM. The pier stores tend to stay open later, until the ship(s) leave.

Archived