Requirement for disabled cabin

Sushi

I use a Rollator to get around. Do I have to be in a wheelchair to book a disabled cabin.

Is it more expensive than the regular cabins

No, you don't need to be in a wheelchair -- just be disabled and tell the cruise line that you need such a cabin when you book (or have your travel agent tell them). In fact, not every cruise line even asks or checks up much, although some do. For example, when I cruised in October on NCL, I had to present a note from my doctor indicating that I had a disability in order to get a confirmed booking.

No, the handicap-accessible cabins will cost the same as other regular cabins of their class. However, you need to know that there are very few handicap-accessible cabins on any one ship, and there are NOT handicap-accessible cabins in every class! -- so if you indeed need one, you need to book very early to assure that you'll get one.

You might want to consider renting a wheelchair or scooter for your next trip, especially if you do get an accessible cabin (where you'll have room to maneuver one inside the cabin). You'll be a lot more free to move about the ship on a scooter, and not be so worn out at the end of the day! There are companies that work with cruise lines that will deliver the scooter to your cabin before you arrive, and will pick it up from your cabin after you've left at the end of your cruise.

You might want to evaluate what features of the HC cabin you would need though, the bathroom may or may not be more helpful for you and since sometimes these cabins are not in convenient spots that may or may not be an issue either. There are few of them ship and they tend to go fast. Be sure to check the deck plans for whatever ship you are thinking of taking and see where they are located in relation to where you need to go, remember distances on a ship are great.

Once you know that call and determine if the cabin you think will suit you is available, it may not be so have alternatives.

I recommend a scooter as well IF you do get an HC cabin, don't get one if you don't get the Cabin though, no room for it in a normal cabin.

Archived