Advice? Taking sons & SOs on a cruise

Cour10ay

We've never sailed with Carnival before (RCI and Celebrity only, so far) but I'd love to treat my 3 sons (all over 21) and their SOs to a cruise in 2005. Of course, DH and I will sail with them - no one in my fam is cruisin' without me!!

So, I'm looking at the Caribbean either September 2005 or Holidays 2005, either a Christmas sailing or New Years. Does Carnival have a "private island" type thing? Is it worth the extra $$ for the holiday sailings? (We would be paying for 4 staterooms so cost does count a bit.)

Any advice on a specific cruise or at least a great ship that can satisfy a Karaoke/theater nut, a minister, AND a true party animal? (wow, same gene pool, really different results!) DH and I will just be happy to be with the family so we don't really mind about the ship or itinerary as long as the bars are open.....;)

Thanks!

September would be much cheaper than the Holidays. After school starts the school age cruisers decline. All cruises with the family are great. I never would pay the extra for the Holidays. More children and I'm cheap and want to use the extra money for another cruise or a Balcony:)

Timing is a problem when we try to get together. I may be able to get them all off work and school at Thanksgiving, and between Christmas and over New Year's. On the other hand, by September DH & I will need another cruise (summers over here are generally not sunny and 75 is an average for summer daytime temps.)

I know first-hand about hurricanes. I grew up on the south Atlantic coast. But if a hurricane forces the complete cancellation of a paid-in-full cruise (which is rare, I think), aren't passengers compensated in any way, like with a coupon for another sailing or something? I am aware of last minute itinerary changes and that's not a problem. A cruise to nowhere for 7 days would even be fantastic. :)

I guess my question is more about Carnival in general. Having never sailed them before I would love some input on favorite ships, and favorite routes. We could leave from any of the southeast ports - even from Louisiana, Texas, or Alabama. Thinking 7 days, but would consider something shorter.

Cour10ay

Which of these is your favorite? Would any one of them be better than the others for 4 couples (my 3 sons and their wives/girlfriend early 20s, and my DH and me in our mid 40s)? We are active, like nightlife, and those boys like good food.

Think we have found a way to cruise either the 29 or 30 of Oct 2005. End of hurricane season, but hey, not much I can do about that. Besides, I sort of like rolling seas.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cour10ay

Thanks, Brenda I will check the group cruise on the Valor. We'd be booking 4 staterooms - wow, I already have half a group myself!

I see that you are a fan of Carnival - what makes them so special? Having never cruised them, I would love some comments from those who love the Fun Ships. I think I am a bit leery of cruising them because of the reputation it had in the past of being N. O. Mardi Gras on the seas - only wilder. But I also read a lot of reviews and it seems that's not the case so much any more especially on 7 day cruises during the school terms.

Any insight is appreciated!

Cour10ay

Archived