Transfers in San Juan PR

rogerdm

I bought transfers for my Constellation 11/13/04 cruise. This was my first cruise. When I arrived in San Juan I went to the baggage claim area and retrieved my bags. Then I proceded to find the Celebrity area to wait in line for the bus. There must have been 50 people with their bags. It was humid and I was sweating. Finally about 25 minutes later we were herded outside carrying our bags, to a bus. Hmm, what bus do I get on?? Finally I found the right bus and got a seat and we proceded to the dock.

When I was to return from the dock to the airport, I saw lines of people and many buses. On my left were cabs waiting to take passengers. I decided to get in a cab and go to the airport. It cost $17. (well worth the expense) The cab not only got me to the airport ahead of the buses but it was easier to check in at the airport and get my boarding passes and then go to the gate. I do believe that if I had been on the bus with the masses I would have had to wait...and wait and wait..

I found the same thing on my 11/6 Constellation trip. But I really thought the worst part of it was the San Juan airport. They really don't seem to be able to handle the crowds. I went on the bus, and it was not bad until I got to the airport. Then there was a huge line waiting to check-in. They needed someone there to explain how it worked. The porter put my bags right by the front of the line while my husband waitied in line. When I figured out how their system worked, I started waving people to the front to pull up their boarding passes in the machine. No one would listen to me and the they just stood there and waited. I said heck with it, and stepped right up and got my boarding pass. In 2 minutes they were calling my name to take my luggage. They need a better system because I think it would move people through quicker. We also did not wait in the area with the 50 people. We got our luggage and went outside. 10 minutes later they were boarding us and right over to the ship. Went pretty smoothly.

We have been on a dozen or so cruises.....several different lines, Princess, RCCL, Carnival....several different embarkation ports....only one time did we do the bus/shuttle thing....what a nightmare.!!!

Take a cab...it is well worth the extra expense to not be herded around...and the extra expense is not that much...a couple of bucks per person.

Then you arrive at the docks...less frustrated, a little fresher, a lot more organized.

Just a nicer way to "start the party"

Robin

We have cruise over 20 times on different cruise lines and it is always cheaper to take a cab than use the ship bus. Make sure you agree on a price before you get in the cab. All airports have an area that will tell you what an estimated cost will be to the port. plus, is so much faster and nicer than taking the bus.

Archived