Trip to Virgin Gorda

latrn220

You can usually get some sort of a deal from the ferries that includes your return taxi fare to The Baths as well. We paid $22 (if my memory is accurate - it was definitely less than $25) each for return ferry and the taxi ride (actually in an open jitney bus).

I got the deal there. Smith's usually has a rep in the parking lot next to the dock. I just asked the helpful lady at the Tourist Info booth on the dock to point out the Smith's rep to me. If I remember correctly he had a shirt on that identified him as a Smith's rep. I just confirmed with him what was included (return ferry) and taxi on VG to the Baths. He pointed us in the direction of the ferry terminal (actually visible from the cruise ship dock - about a 5 minute walk) and noted on his card that taxi was included (he had run out of taxi chits). NOTE: be sure to save the taxi chit. When we were there you only got one chit. You SHOW it to the driver on the way to the Baths and GIVE it to the return driver. I can't remember what the ferry ticket was like but I think it actually had a return portion.

Quite frankly I would ONLY attempt to do VG on my own if I had a full day there.

The ferry ride is aproximately 45 minutes ONE way. The taxi to the Baths is about 5 minutes BUT you may have to wait while it loads (they are actually jitney buses). To fully enjoy the Baths I think one needs a MINIMUM of 2-3 hours. We spent about 4 hours at the Baths. Also if you check the ferry schedule, you may NOT find it easy to get back to your ship in time (if say you are leaving at 1 or 2PM). If you are there from 9-5PM or 8-4 or 5 you will have plenty of time but I still suggest that you try to get the earliest ferry over that you can. We took the Smith's ferry that left at 8:50 AM. We were at The Baths by 10 AM . We got back to Tortola at around 3PM.

Archived