Missed Grand Cayman

The Viking

We just came back from Navigator who missed Grand Cayman.

I have read several posts questioning how often Grand Cayman is missed so I would like to start a tread to answer this questioners:

3/2/09 Navigator of The Seas missed Grand Cayman. with the port charges immediately posted to onboatd accound.

We were told it was because of the weather conditions. I did see one other ship already anchored there when we arrived. It's possible they got there before the port was closed. The weather seemed rather calm as we were heading toward Cayman, but by the time we got there it was very windy and the waves were about 3-5 feet high....probably not good/safe tendering weather. I did see another ship turning around and heading out the same time we were, so it wasn't just us. We had also been warned the night before that they had closed it down that day (the day the Navigator was supposed to be there).

I was supposed to meet a friend of mine who lives on the island and she said they had beautiful calm weather the weekend before and it had totally changed on Monday. Unfortunately, it just happens this time of the year. :(

Next time I think I'll just fly there!

We just came back from Navigator who missed Grand Cayman.

I have read several posts questioning how often Grand Cayman is missed so I would like to start a tread to answer this questioners:

3/2/09 Navigator of The Seas missed Grand Cayman. with the port charges immediately posted to onboatd accound.

I second that. Was on your ship too. I remember hearing the captain say the waters were too rough to tender in. Also, along with the port charges (about $15), if you had an excursion booked through the ship you also got that money back.

Boy....I really hope that we do not miss Grand Cayman.....we are leaving for our cruise on the Navigator in 3 weeks and are really looking forward to the stingrays! Will just keep our fingers crossed!!

what does the ship do if they can't tender? just spend another day at sea? We are going on NOS in April and I really am looking foward to GC hopefully we won't miss it.

The day we were supposed to be at GC we spent at sea. Then the next day (when we were supposed to be at sea) we spent at Key West. I think it all depends on what your itinerary is and what their "Plan B" options are.

The day we were supposed to be at GC we spent at sea. Then the next day (when we were supposed to be at sea) we spent at Key West. I think it all depends on what your itinerary is and what their "Plan B" options are.

We spent the day at sea, and headed closer to Jamaica which is where we were supposed to be the next day.

For those who don't know, you cannot get into your next port since they are scheduled for other ships to be there, as well as staffed for ship traffic to arrive at certain times, so there may not be dock workers available. I heard several people complaining about us not just getting there a day early. There are a lot of logistics to consider when a ship gets to a port. It's not like you can just park your car in any spot at the mall and go it.

The ship has to go to a backup plan B. The cruise director has to scramble to get activities together, tell employees that thier off time has been cancelled, and get the dining room and buffet cooks and staff to prepare for meals that would have otherwise been prepared for far less people. The activities staff has to quickly organize things to do, and palces to do them at, paying attention to timing so there is always something to go do or see. Your daily planner sheet you get in your room has to be reprinted as well. Also, depending on your ship's itinerary, they actually may start running out of some of the more common items at the bars or the buffets (which you will notice near the end of the trip). Example: one bar ran out of diet coke, another ran out of a certain alcohol. They don't restock while on the trip, and since space is limited, you base what you take on past trips. We must have had a higher proportion of Diet Coke drinkers than expected, combined with everyone spending another say at sea. No biggie. They can do some shuffling around from slower bars and take care of it.

People have to understand that there is NO big long dock(s) at Cayman like at Cozumel or St. Martin, or St. Thomas, or Costa Maya, etc -- (it's much easier for a large ship to tie up to a dock) -- the ships have to anchor & small boats (often your lifeboats) are used to take you to shore. Georgetown's harbor is not protected by reefs etc from open waves & wind. There is a rather "short" sea wall, so when waves get high or winds pick up from west, there can be huge waves washing over sea wall & flooding streets, plus problems getting the tenders SAFELY tied to up ship or to land, and even more important getting PEOPLE onto & off tenders SAFELY & DRY. The local Port Authority knows what can & can't be done, & what is extremely dangerous or difficult, so they make the call to stay or go, not the captain.

Sorry that you missed Grand Cayman last week. We were on the Ruby and was one of three ships (Princess, NCL, and Carnival) that made it to Grand Cayman (Spot Bay), the tender ride was rough but well worth getting on land. The ship based excursions were canceled and Moby Dick cancel trips as well, but other were taking folks out to Stingray City, city tours, etc. The morning was windy but calm later in the afternoon.

Archived