Input requested

sisu1974

I would like to get some input. My husband is what I would call a hybrid, part AB, part HC. He has MS, which affects his balance and stamina. We are able to cruise in regular cabin, but it is much safer to have some of things that are only available in a HC cabin (grab bars, seat in the shower, more space so there are less things for him to bump into or hit himself on if he falls). I see many people posting that someone should only book a HC cabin if then need one. What are thoughts on whether it is appropriate for DH and I to book a HC cabin.

We do have a HC cabin on our next cruise because we got moved to it after it was released into the general inventory. I do not want to feel guilty and am looking forward to DH having a safer, less exhausting, and therefore more enjoyable cruise because we have it.

Thanks,

Tonya

I would like to get some input. My husband is what I would call a hybrid, part AB, part HC. He has MS, which affects his balance and stamina. We are able to cruise in regular cabin, but it is much safer to have some of things that are only available in a HC cabin (grab bars, seat in the shower, more space so there are less things for him to bump into or hit himself on if he falls). I see many people posting that someone should only book a HC cabin if then need one. What are thoughts on whether it is appropriate for DH and I to book a HC cabin.

We do have a HC cabin on our next cruise because we got moved to it after it was released into the general inventory. I do not want to feel guilty and am looking forward to DH having a safer, less exhausting, and therefore more enjoyable cruise because we have it.

Thanks,

Tonya

Handicap-accessible cabins are not only for those in wheelchairs. Clearly your husband has a need for many of the things available in such a cabin -- just as you outlined: grab bars, shower with built-in seat, no threshholds to trip over, etc.

I also have MS. While now I use a wheelchair full-time, there were several years where I didn't, but took advantage of handicap-accessible rooms (not on cruise ships, but in hotels, for example) for just the reasons you describe.

"Booking a handicap cabin because they need one" clearly included your husband, as it would include anyone with mobility problems, difficulty standing from a sitting position, balance issues, anything that would require some external assistance.

What you'll read about on this board are those of us annoyed at people who clearly have no need for a handicap-accessible cabin but book one anyway because there is more space...thus denying folks like you the opportunity to cruise in comfort.

My husband has CP and we have no reservations in booking a HC cabin. Just because he does not use a wheelchair 100% of the time does not mean he does not have a need for a cabin. You should do whatever you need to do so your husband has a safe, easy cruise. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty of.

i certainly agree with the other folks. You are your own best judge of your needs and if you think you need an accessible cabin, then by all means book one. And remember, the standard cabins have a step up into the bathroom, which can be a safety issue for some folks.

Another thing to consider is that your husband may fatigue more easily while on vacation (new surroundsing, lots of things to do, time changes) so you may want to cosnider bringing along a manual wheelchair or renting a scooter, just for those times.

Have a good cruise.

Candy

Another thing to consider is that your husband may fatigue more easily while on vacation (new surroundsing, lots of things to do, time changes) so you may want to cosnider bringing along a manual wheelchair or renting a scooter, just for those times.

Thanks Candy for the good advice. We have been debating bringing his travel chair with us. It is the type with the four small wheels so it requires me to push it (which I struggle with) and it doesn't give him the independence he deserves. Do you know if it is possible to rent a normal manual wheelchair or scooter on a transatlantic cruise?

Thanks,

Tonya

There is no reason to feel guilty, you don't have to be IN a wheelchair to need an HC cabin our complaints is with fully able bodied people with no particular medical or physical need booking these cabins because they are larger.

Anyone who considers themselves to need one for a physical/medical reason, whatever it is that is a totally different story.

Also I urge you to rent a scooter from the source approved by your cruiseline. It makes a world of difference, or at least bring a regular WC since you need that if you have tender ports, scooter cannot go on tenders. The transport chair would be awful on a ship it is quite hard to push a REGULAR WC let alone a transport remember the entire ship is carpeted basically. and there are bulkheads that stick up in the floor.

Thanks Candy for the good advice. We have been debating bringing his travel chair with us. It is the type with the four small wheels so it requires me to push it (which I struggle with) and it doesn't give him the independence he deserves. Do you know if it is possible to rent a normal manual wheelchair or scooter on a transatlantic cruise?

Travel chairs really are impractical. About the only "good" they serve is pushing people around institutions like nursing homes, where there is no carpeting and you're on tile floors... (my opinion, of course).

I don't know if you can rent a manual wheelchair or scooter for a transatlantic cruise, but you certainly can call your cruise company and inquire. Many of them now are doing exclusive business with one supplier of mobility equipment, and they'd be able to connect you with whoever they are using.

Another thought -- you can sometimes find manual wheelchairs for pretty cheap in your local newspaper or shopper ads sections. It'll come in handy, I suspect, for lots of occasions, and then you'd have your own chair, if you're not able to rent a scooter.

I agree with upity about the travel chairs. Calling them "travel" chairs is very misleading, IMHO. They are pretty flimsy, and those wheels make it difficult to push, even on an uncarpeted surface. Add some carpet and you really have to work for it.

I don't think you'll have any problems finding a company to rent a manual wheelchair for a transatlantic cruise. Try Care Vacations. If your can't return it at the end of the line, they will probably just stick it on the ship and carry it back to the US. Or they may even have a customer for it on the return journey.

But yeah, I'd ditch that travel chair. It's bad news!!

Candy

I like my independence, and even when my DH was alive he would not be able to push me around in a wheelchair. For that reason, I use a rollator which is perfect for me. I am independent and can sit down whenever I get tired and gives me support walking around the ship. I chose the one with big wheels to get around on the islands. It folds easily to transport.

I posted on another post. My husband is in a similiar situation. He has TBI (tramatic brain injury) from viral encephelitis caused by shingles (his third time). He is not in a wheel chair. He has seizures and neuological problems (grabbing things is one example). His balance and stamina are affected too. At times he falls down when he has a seizure. So I am always worried that he will hurt himself. We always have the table removed from our room so he does not fall on it. Would he be able to have a accessible room if it were available? The interesting thing is he designed and sold wheelchairs, elevators and scooters before he got sick.

He helped many people get mobile.

I posted on another post. My husband is in a similiar situation. He has TBI (tramatic brain injury) from viral encephelitis caused by shingles (his third time). He is not in a wheel chair. He has seizures and neuological problems (grabbing things is one example). His balance and stamina are affected too. At times he falls down when he has a seizure. So I am always worried that he will hurt himself. We always have the table removed from our room so he does not fall on it. Would he be able to have a accessible room if it were available? The interesting thing is he designed and sold wheelchairs, elevators and scooters before he got sick.

He helped many people get mobile.

Yes indeed. Again, you don't have to be in a wheelchair to request/use a handicap-accessible room. Just declare the handicap, and (in some cases, not all) get a doctor note, and you'll be booked in the handicap room. Seizures and neuro problems are certainly reasonable explanations, should anyone ask!

I have MS and started with a cane then forearm crutches.I was teaching and had to walk with my class but moved slow. My Dr. gave me a script for a lightweight manual chair. I fought it but gave in. It made my life so much better. It allowed me to teach for another 8 years. I'm in a powerchair now and can't walk at all. My point is that MS is a progressive disease.He should have a wheelchair built for him. It will make his and your life better. Hopefully he won't progress but the odds are not with him. Forget about a travel chair that will take away his independence. An accessible cabin is the right choice. You can fly your chair and have room in the cabin for it. Rent a scooter ror the ship. Thats alot of carpet to wheel on. Hopefully your on a w/c friendly ship like RCCL. GOOD lUCK

My husband also has MS and is as you call it a "hybrid". He used his cane and we had a non HC room for three cruises. However, when the ship is moving (which will be all the time on a TA) it is really difficult to walk with hampered balance. He did not want to "give in" and get a scooter and he refused to even look at a wheelchair so I talked him into renting a scooter(thanks to all on this board who encouraged me to do that) for one cruise. He was hooked because he saw that it really afforded him so much more liberty and he saw so much more of the ship and we had the best time.

Last year he bought a Pride go go and took off the armrests so it looks like a really neat little sporty scooter. Nice having our own and so many people on our last cruise were asking us about the scooter and those who had manual wheelchairs were inquiring if they could rent one onboard.

Anyway, best of luck. Keep enjoying yourselves.

My DD is a paraplegic. we are leaving in 2 weeks and I am now wondering if I should rent a scooter to have along with her manual chair. it would be a lot easier with the carpeting etc. but what about dinner in a scooter? Wont she have to get out of it since it wont fit under a table like the manual chair would?

I was thinking maybe one of those 3 wheel scooters they are renting. What do you all think? Seh can not stand at all.

My DD is a paraplegic. we are leaving in 2 weeks and I am now wondering if I should rent a scooter to have along with her manual chair. it would be a lot easier with the carpeting etc. but what about dinner in a scooter? Wont she have to get out of it since it wont fit under a table like the manual chair would?

I was thinking maybe one of those 3 wheel scooters they are renting. What do you all think? Seh can not stand at all.

It "might" be possible to rent a powered wheelchair, not a power chair such as the hoverround type, though that might work as well but they are still a bit high, If you can get the kind that is like a regular WC but motorized that would be good. The scooter is not good for actually sitting at a table with other then at the buffet, if it has a swivel seat, and normally you do need to transfer if you take the scooter to the dining room.

You will need to contact the autorized vendor for your cruise line and see what is available.

Different cruise lines use different vendors only so call the cruiseline and have them ask special services to be sure who to contact.

I rented a power chair on my most recent cruise, and used one for a vacation we took in Portland, Oregon. In both instances the chair was a great advantage, as I could get places by myself, with only minimal assistance. I had one of those power chairs that has a nearly zero-turn radius capability, meaning I could get in and out of very tight spots. They're perfect for dining room situations as -- after just a bit of practice -- I could maneuver in very tight and winding spaces, and pull right up to the table. The ones I had, had armrests that would tilt back out of the way, too, so I could have even more flexibility at a table setting.

I'd highly recommend you consider one of those. If you call your cruise line and find out what vendors they deal with, then call the vendor.You should be able to identify lots of options for your daughter.

The problems I have with scooters is not so much the dining problem -- you can in fact move up sideways to the table, then pivot the seat around to get to the table, if necessary --

but they don't fit well into bathrooms. You'll often see a "line-up"of them outside of public bathrooms, where the occupants of the scooters have "parked" them, then presumably walked into the bathroom (with assistance) to use the facilities, as there isn't room in the stall to maneuver the scooter.

If I had an automobile large enough to accommodate a power chair, I'd have one in my home yesterday! :)

thanks arwenmark & uppitycats for the advice. I have already e-mailed RCCI and will await their response on who they use. So it sounds like we use the manual for dinner and a scooter or power for everything else? We have a h/c room but I am guessing this is still going to be tight with 4 of us in there. Yes, I said 4. and 2 wheelchairs...

Oh well, we r on a ship right?

Archived